2.0L 4-pot to 5.0L V8

OcUK Staff
I'm getting on really well with it so far. I can't say I've pushed it that hard but day-today driving it works great. I have noticed it's jerkier than the A4 DSG when slowing down for roundabouts etc and it can jump around gears a bit.

The one thing I am having to watch is I've become too used to a FWD car with <200bhp. When I wanted to drop the gear down in the A4 I'd just mash the peddal to the bottom to kick it down. I tried doing that in the Mustang once and almost had a brown trouser moment! I'm now using the paddles when I want to drop it down a gear.

I will check exactly next time I take it out but from memory it's around 1800-1900 rpm

If your commute is on country roads and the traffic isn't too heavy I'd be going manual. I only went for an automatic as I spend 75% of my time on the motorway or A1.

Do not drive aggressively in full auto, I REPEAT, do not drive it hard in full auto, if will send you backwards in a hedge. Keep it on the paddles and ideally in sport/track mode so your in full control, even the upshifts on the 10-speed can un-balance the car as it shifts rather firmly at full chat, so again keep it in gear throughout the corner, I know a few people who have being caught out with them.

Its not a 4 pot twist and **** engine, its a V8 with a huge amount of torque in comparison and it can very quickly break traction.

OcUK Staff
Damn, I'm looking at Mustangs now. But only the facelift...

Fab cars, mag ride is an absolute must mate, so make sure it has it!
Believe it or not the Mustang uses mag ride that is also used on Ferrari's, its top notch kit, so well worth the extra as it independently controls all four corners and vastly improves the handling.

Soldato
OP
Do not drive aggressively in full auto, I REPEAT, do not drive it hard in full auto, if will send you backwards in a hedge. Keep it on the paddles and ideally in sport/track mode so your in full control, even the upshifts on the 10-speed can un-balance the car as it shifts rather firmly at full chat, so again keep it in gear throughout the corner, I know a few people who have being caught out with them.

Its not a 4 pot twist and **** engine, its a V8 with a huge amount of torque in comparison and it can very quickly break traction.

Very sound advise and I can see how it can easily end up backwards in a hedge!

Soldato
The wife and I wasn't sure whether to go manual or auto on hers but glad we picked the auto, great for the everyday driving but when you do want to take full control the paddle shifting is pretty responsive.

Also been massively impressed by the magneride, driven s550s both with and without and the difference is noticeable.

Soldato
OP
Just out of interest, what revs are you doing at 70mph? I ask as my e92 m3 with similar power/engine size only gets mid 20's (although with DCT ive 'only' got 7 gears) so i figure you will be a lot lower in the rev range, also hows the engine braking:p.

Have checked and it sits at around 1850rpm at 70mph indicated and around 1950 for 70mph GPS.

Soldato
OP
Thought I'd give a quick update now I've had the car a couple of months.

Current mileage is 9k so I've done 5k in it since purchase. Average MPG since collecting the car is 29.1 using mostly Tesco 99 fuel. Driving is 80% long distance (mixture of fast A roads and motorways).

It's booked in for it's first service in a few weeks for the reasonable sum of £245. They are also looking at the following niggles:
  • Paintwork quality on rear wing inside boot - There's sections of paint missing on the metal inside the boot lid area. Not visible when the boot is shut and looks like poor prep. There's still a small section of the original plastic stuck there so it must be the original paint. It looks like the paint has been pulled off when removing the protective film.

• Drivers door handle sticks open if pulled at a certain angle. Closes again after a slight wiggle

• Drivers door lock cover loose - Looks like one of the tabs has snapped off. Could be related to the previous point

• Drivers wing mirror can't adjust in/out - It looks like it's come off the arm as it can be freely moved by hand but not by the motor

• Field service action / recall for the battery wiring harness

I'm still thoroughly enjoying the car and slowly getting used to the power. I've been making myself use the paddles more which I am slowly getting used to. I'm yet to really push the car and only make the most of the power in a straight line but it brings a huge grin every time.

The magneride is fantastic, such a comfy cruiser day to day but the suspension stiffens up significantly when in sport mode. The only thing I wish is that the suspension could be set on it's own as opposed to having to change the entire mode.

Practicality has been fine, used the boot quite a bit for overnight bags, work supplies etc and even managed to get 2 adults in the back to give them a lift back from the pub! Getting the car seat out the back and into the boot was the hardest part!

Sync3 works great, I've settled on using Waze for maps through Android Auto. It's no Audi MMI but perfectly fine for what I need it to do.

If anyone has any questions let me know.

Caporegime
I guess even a Mustang is still a Ford. Though the paintwork looks much better than the non 'prestige' models. My mates mums new Fiesta is so orangepeely it actually looks like a metallic grey orange!

Love it in triple black, very sleek.

Soldato
OP
Having now done over 20k in the car since purchase I thought I'd give a further update.

Current mileage: 25k
Average MPG since purchase 29.9 (significant amount of A roads and some motorways).

Costs so far:
  • 1 service at £245
  • 1 service FOC
  • Depreciation: Circa £4.5k (Cap HPI values the car at £29,400. Purchased for £33,850)
  • Tax due tomorrow: £465
Issues since last update:
  • Engine idled rough and felt down on power, getting progressively worse. The garage advised that it was misfiring on 4 of the 8 cylinders. After multiple visits to Ford and and eventually an escalation to the Ford Exec office the issue was resolved. Ford were never actually able to diagnose the fault, but opening the engine up and putting it back together again resolved it, and 5k miles later it's still fine. Was also offered a free service as a gesture of goodwill for the amount I was messed about.
Modifications:
  • Swapped the plastic number plates out for pressed metal ones (that's about my limit!!)

I'm still loving the car, find it extremely comfortable and get lots of interest when I'm out on the road. Had plenty of conversations at petrol pumps about it! The car has fared great over winter so far, although fortunately there's been little ice and no snow. I did consider swapping to winter tyres however given how well the Pilot Spot 4S perform I haven't felt the need to (and would probably be worse off).

Any questions let me know.

Photo next to it's younger sister last time I was at the Ford Garage.

Last edited:
Associate
Do love the sound of these as they rumble past whenever I see them, good that it's been relatively cost free and the depreciation isn't too much to stomach!

Back
Top Bottom