When was the last time you saw stars?

Soldato
When I used to live in the states as a kid we would occasionally go out into the desert on school trips, and it really is incredible to see what the sky is supposed to look like without all the light pollution. Been a long time since I saw it like that.

Soldato
Quite often recently, and also especially see Mars towards the South. It's light a bit too late for them now the clocks have changed, but my kids love looking at a Star Map app I have and seeing where different constellations are. They also find the planet name 'Uranus' funny for some reason. :D

Where do you live? I live about 20 miles outside of London. Light pollution seems a lot less since they got rid of most sodium lamps, the sky is no longer orange.

Soldato
When I used to live in the states as a kid we would occasionally go out into the desert on school trips, and it really is incredible to see what the sky is supposed to look like without all the light pollution. Been a long time since I saw it like that.

It should come as no surprise that many stars have Arab names. In the desert you need astronomy for navigation just as with at sea (In fact, more so. Early Mariners would hug the coast rather than head off over the oceans. this is rather more difficult to do trying to cross deserts where you might easily miss a critical well by half a mile and die)

Light pollution seems a lot less since they got rid of most sodium lamps, the sky is no longer orange.

Unfortunately, for astronomers, that is not the case.

The old yellow lights were essentially monochromatic and therefore relatively easy to filter out. The more modern whiter lights make nighttime light pollution far more difficult to eliminate

Soldato
see stars all the time despite being right next to a lamp post. however, it's nothing compared to what you see if you drive away from lights; sometimes stop around the Otterburn/Keilder area on the way back from Scottish concerts, on a clear night the night sky up there will knock your eyes out.

Soldato
Unfortunately, for astronomers, that is not the case.

The old yellow lights were essentially monochromatic and therefore relatively easy to filter out. The more modern whiter lights make nighttime light pollution far more difficult to eliminate
Yeah, I meant more for the naked eye, although colour aside aren't the modern lights a lot better because they are much more directional now? I certainly notice a difference having lived by motorways for a lot of my life.

Associate
All the time, I do live in the North East though. Around 40 miles in fact from the darkest place in England (Kielder Observatory). Though even just 5 miles away from the centre of Newcastle its possible to see stars quite easily, but obviously gets better the further away from towns and cities you go.

Soldato
I see them almost every night; weather dependent. I'm in a rural area of County Durham though, so not seeing them would be concerning.

Soldato
Can see them quite well on a clear night in Birmingham. Clearly it's not as good as a rural setting, but still not bad... definitely can't make out second order stars of the Milky Way here!

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom