• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ray tracing confirmed for next Gen PlayStation

Soldato
The games it has been used in look barely any better with RTX on and it tanks performance.

Ray tracing has been around a long time already and I think it will be a long time again before it's viable in gaming.
Indeed, I've tried it first hand it it just seems like a new graphics option to tick or un tick like ambient occlusion. It's nothing ground breaking at all. But people have been sold by Nvidias marketing dept and feel the need to justify their RTX card purchase.

bru

bru

Soldato
Indeed, I've tried it first hand it it just seems like a new graphics option to tick or un tick like ambient occlusion. It's nothing ground breaking at all. But people have been sold by Nvidias marketing dept and feel the need to justify their RTX card purchase.

You will be wanting to go back to sprite based games next, or CGA.
Give ray tracing a while to get off its feet and into its stride, it is very early days yet.

Ray tracing is here to stay, Pandora's box has been opened and the way forward is clear to see, for most of us, just the few progress hatters to convince, maybe in the next generation when AMD have it as well. Oh look's at thread title, well that sorts that one out then.:)

Soldato
Give ray tracing a while to get off its feet and into its stride, it is very early days yet.

Ray tracing is here to stay, Pandora's box has been opened and the way forward is clear to see, for most of us, just the few progress hatters to convince, maybe in the next generation when AMD have it as well. Oh look's at thread title, well that sorts that one out then.:)
I'm sure it will be. I was replying to...

Glad to hear it. RT when done properly is superb and breathtaking.

Soldato
OP

Am a fan of Ray Tracing, I like it's not only nvidia technology this time and it's open for all parties to get involved.
I do agree it will take a few year before we see this used more and better. I even don't think 2019 navi will support ray tracing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
When has it been properly?
Because it hasn't been done properly yet on PC. Unless you enjoy gaming at 12FPS.
I certainly don't enjoy gaming at 12 fps and you are exaggerating somewhat.

Look at justice as an example of what can be done.

That looks superb to me. Metro Exodus is another which really stands out, as is BF5 (Rotterdam).

Caporegime
It hasn't - it's still traditional rendering with some parts of the scene raytraced at a low quality added on top.

Until scenes are fully raytraced, then it hasn't been done properly
Everything has to start somewhere. NVidia at least have started the ball rolling. Like Bru said, who wants to be still playing with sprite and blocks?

Soldato
That's a benchmark which is different to a proper game. They can make optimisations specifically for the scenes in a benchmark to give results you don't see in games, as it's 100% the same every time you run it. Which is also why DLSS looks non-crap in benchmarks.

Caporegime
That's a benchmark which is different to a proper game. They can make optimisations specifically for the scenes in a benchmark to give results you don't see in games, as it's 100% the same every time you run it. Which is also why DLSS looks non-crap in benchmarks.
Of course it is a benchmark but my point stands. When Raytacing is done properly, it is breathtaking. The demo is of a chinese MMO, (Justice Ni Shui Han) which is to receive realtime raytracing. Frames with RT on are very good and even better with DLSS but early days and time will tell how that pans out but again, that is a breathtaking example of RT done properly for me.

Don
That looks superb to me.

I must be really hard to please then, as that just looks like over the top water effects and shinies everywhere for shiny sake.

If it's a benchmark/demo, then I'm even less impressed - as everything could just as easily be "pre-baked", as it has to happen identically for a benchmark to be meaningful.

Show me a few of those shiny knives being thrown around in game at different scenes/angles demonstrating that it's real-time and it would be slightly more believable.

At the minute the only thing justifying it being raytraced is the "RT-On" logo in the bottom corner - without that most people would be hard pressed to notice a difference.

bru

bru

Soldato
If Navi arrives with full ray tracing support, it will suddenly be the best thing ever.
As usual this forum is so biased against NVidia it is a joke. As shanks has just said it is not only an NVidia technology, just because they are the first out of the gate with hardware that can do it in real time albeit bleeding expensive hardware.

bru

bru

Soldato
One of the biggest problem is that game developers have got really good at all the fakery that makes up current games, we just have to give the technology time to improve.

Caporegime
Except it won't run anything like that well in the actual game.
Yes it will, there is nothing special that can't be done games.

It isn't pre-rendered or anything, you would be able to free to move and rotate the camera at will.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I must be really hard to please then, as that just looks like over the top water effects and shinies everywhere for shiny sake.

Felt exactly the same, tried those demos and nothing really made me go wow, I want some of that!

It certainly hasn't made me want to go out and buy an RTX card put it that way!

Although visuals never really sold a game for me anyway, it's always gameplay that sells it.

Permabanned
If Navi arrives with full ray tracing support, it will suddenly be the best thing ever.
As usual this forum is so biased against NVidia it is a joke. As shanks has just said it is not only an NVidia technology, just because they are the first out of the gate with hardware that can do it in real time albeit bleeding expensive hardware.

Its not really anti Nvidia at all, its anti insane pricing and anti low fps.

Soldato
Ray Tracing and 8K let the Sony hype machine begin:p

Seriously we just need rock solid 4K 60fps performance with all the bells and whistles,

Associate

I'm not sure that's the case. Hardware Unboxed did analysis with RTX on and off in Metro and explained why it looked better when on but the differences seemed minimal to me. They talked about 'the accuracy of the shadows', which I don't really care about. You can judge for yourself:

Back
Top Bottom