Cheap motorway car

Associate
Hi All,

I've got up to £2000 to buy myself a motorway car. I don't want to spend any more than that as I do 20k+ miles a year. I'm looking for something that is fairly decent on performance but isn't going to to be bad on fuel. Also has to have 4 or 5 doors and isn't an estate.

Any info on the following would be helpful

So far the cars I've been looking at are as follows:

Mk5 Golf GT TDI 140/170:
Pros - Well built, cheap to get parts for, not that common near me and plenty to find for sale
Cons - No much equipment if any. No dual climate control or cruise control. Box standard car.

Audi A3 TDI 140/170 Sprotback (2004-2008):
Pros: Same as the Golf apart from its common. Has dual climate control. Bigger boot and more of a premium car.
Cons: Not as good looking imo. Very common. Cruise control seems to be none existent.

Audi A4 TDI (2004-2008):
Same as the A3 apart from boot space is obviously less.

Volvo S40 2.0D (2006-2008):
Pros: Most specs have what I need. Looks nice inside and out.
Cons: Boot is pretty rubbish. Heard that the engine is pretty poor. My old man had a C30 and the seats didn't seem that great to hold you in but that could have been the spec that he had.

Mazda 3 2.0D (2006-2008):
Pros: The best looking car inside and out to me. Has everything I need. Uncommon on the road which I like. Overall seems a good car and based on the Focus?
Cons: Pretty costly to repair. Heard some horror stories about them. Not that many around to buy at the moment.

And finally the daddy.
BMW E46/E90 3 Series 320d:
Pros: Does the most MPG out of them all and has better range. Looks the best if I get a M Sport/Sport version. Rear wheel drive which I've never done.
Cons: E46s I'd have to get the Sport model so it has a good spec so is more money. E90s at my price are bottom price M Sports probably a bit ropey. Rust is going to be an issue on the E46. E90 isn't that good looking but willing to let that slide as the interior is better.

I've been told for my money to stay well away from Alfas. I've had an old Leon 1.9 TDI and I didn't like the way it handled or felt inside. The new Leons inside are horrible.
Skoda Octavia VRS TDI I like the look of and has everything I need but it is just out of my price range. I can get one sub £2000 but I know it will have problems.

Anyway any advice and your opinions would be very helpful.

Cheers.

Associate
Ford Mondeo? Decently specced (for the money) and there's a taxi driver on here who had one go to some crazy mileage.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903296402963

Or since you seem to like VAG group how about a Seat Exeo? Friend of mine has one at around 150k and it's not had any problems minus the clutch and flywheel which is pretty standard wear and tear. It was quite cheap for a clutch and flywheel iirc.

Soldato
Soldato
+1 SEAT Exeo. Basically an A4 but newer and cheaper
E46 are too old now and you will have to deal with rust issues. E90 (unless early 320d with M47) 4 cylinder diesels all have timing chain issues and are to be avoided

Associate
OP
I'm not bothered if its VAG group car. I don't know many decent diesels made by others. Only going off what I see on the road each day.
I'm not a fan of the Mondeo. The interior seems to be a bit tacky for my taste and the car is far to big hence me looking at Hatchbacks like Golf size really.

Never knew about the Exeo. I'll look to see about them.

Soldato
Soldato
I'm not bothered if its VAG group car. I don't know many decent diesels made by others. Only going off what I see on the road each day.
I'm not a fan of the Mondeo. The interior seems to be a bit tacky for my taste and the car is far to big hence me looking at Hatchbacks like Golf size really.

Never knew about the Exeo. I'll look to see about them.

You won't regret going for a bigger class of car. For the effort of having to find slightly bigger parking spaces you will have a considerably more refined car for the motorway

Associate
OP
Aren't parts few and far between for SAABs and Rover etc seem as they don't exist?

Bigger car might be a pain for work parking. The office has small spaces and my old Subaru WRX filled it up so I don't want something to big that I need to climb out the sunroof.

Associate
OP
Also forgot to add isn't the Mondeo just the same as the Mazda seem as the Mazda is just a Focus and has the same engine?

Associate
The Volvo P1 platform is also shared with the Focus and Mazda, they're all very similar chassis.

Also, if you go the Volvo route beware that it's not a 'bomb proof' Volvo engine, it's a Ford unit and can be a bit troublesome. Do some research on Volvo Forums and you'll see.

Caporegime
P2 S60 D5. In a different league to the cars in your list. Will do an easy 50MPG on the motorway with a nice torquey 5 cylinder powerplant under your right foot.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Vol...m3b2f7ef0b5:g:2H4AAOSw4ZNcs39r&frcectupt=true

My T5 is lovely for a mere £1000 and all it lacks is fuel economy, which the D5 provides.

Much quieter and more refined than the S40, which is based on the Ford C1 platform as used by the Focus and Mazda3.

Honestly lovely on the motorway. Peaceful, comfortable, auto climate, heated seats, cruise control, etc. Get it re-mapped and it will be a quick car, and reward you with even better fuel economy.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
P2 S60 D5. In a different league to the cars in your list. Will do an easy 50MPG on the motorway with a nice torquey 5 cylinder powerplant under your right foot.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Vol...m3b2f7ef0b5:g:2H4AAOSw4ZNcs39r&frcectupt=true

My T5 is lovely for a mere £1000 and all it lacks is fuel economy, which the D5 provides.

Much quieter and more refined than the S40, which is based on the Ford C1 platform as used by the Focus and Mazda3.

Honestly lovely on the motorway. Peaceful, comfortable, auto climate, heated seats, cruise control, etc.
The Volvo P1 platform is also shared with the Focus and Mazda, they're all very similar chassis.

Also, if you go the Volvo route beware that it's not a 'bomb proof' Volvo engine, it's a Ford unit and can be a bit troublesome. Do some research on Volvo Forums and you'll see.

Is this the same for the Mazda as well? Or is this a completely different engine? I've read that the 2.0D in the Mazda is a bit unreliable but why are there so many 6s with high miles? If they were rubbish people wouldn't have done all that mileage.

I think the S60 is far too big for me. I don't like big cars really. I've always liked hatchback like the Golf, Civic etc

Caporegime
I believe the Mazda3 and Focus have the sale 2.0 engine but I might be mistaken, best wait for one of the others to confirm.

The S60 is a fairly large car there is no escaping that, if you want a smaller car then fair enough! :)

Also I didn't spot the A4 in your list, the A4 2.0TDI is a fantastic car, very peaceful and comfortable on long runs. I drive my friends 2006 S-Line 2.0TDI Avant from Brighton to Birmingham and back and it was a thoroughly pleasant experience. You have to be careful with the spec though, despite his being an S-Line it still doesn't have cruise control or a fuel computer which shows you average and live MPG, it only shows range to empty. The A4 is also on a different platform to the A3, the A3 is the same platform as a Golf, A4 is the same platform as the Passat. The interior fit and finish, level of road noise etc, is much better in the A4 than the A3, though the A3 isn't bad.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I believe the Mazda3 and Focus have the sale 2.0 engine but I might be mistaken, best wait for one of the others to confirm.

The S60 is a fairly large car there is no escaping that, but I went straight from an MX5 which is about the smallest car you can reasonably get, to the S60, and I got used to its size very quickly. The largest car I had owned previously was a Corolla.

Generally larger cars offer a higher level of refinement, features, sound-proofing, etc. But if you want a smaller car then fair enough! :)

That is very true. The issue is parking at work isn't the best for large cars. Also I want something I won't get bored of in a couple of years hence a diesel hatch as I can still drive it like a loon in the corners rather than feel like it's going to willow its way into a hedge.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
+1 SEAT Exeo. Basically an A4 but newer and cheaper
E46 are too old now and you will have to deal with rust issues. E90 (unless early 320d with M47) 4 cylinder diesels all have timing chain issues and are to be avoided

The exeo will be a newer reg, but its still a B7 A4 under the skin, and you can spot where seat have cut corners.

My money would be on a Civic.

Caporegime
That is very true. The issue is parking at work isn't the best for large cars. Also I want something I won't get bored of in a couple of years hence a diesel hatch as I can still drive it like a loon in the corners rather than feel like it's going to willow its way into a hedge.

I amended my previous post, I didn't spot the A4 in your list. :)

Also I didn't spot the A4 in your list, the A4 2.0TDI is a fantastic car, very peaceful and comfortable on long runs. I drive my friends 2006 S-Line 2.0TDI Avant from Brighton to Birmingham and back and it was a thoroughly pleasant experience. You have to be careful with the spec though, despite his being an S-Line it still doesn't have cruise control or a fuel computer which shows you average and live MPG, it only shows range to empty. The A4 is also on a different platform to the A3, the A3 is the same platform as a Golf, A4 is the same platform as the Passat. The interior fit and finish, level of road noise etc, is much better in the A4 than the A3, though the A3 isn't bad.

My mates S-Line model also handles pretty darn well, I was impressed when he let me thrash it around some B roads. I believe he paid £2250 for a very good condition example 2.0TDI 140 with around 140K on the clock, this was a few months ago.

Associate
OP
I amended my previous post, I didn't spot the A4 in your list. :)

My mates S-Line model also handles pretty darn well, I was impressed when he let me thrash it around some B roads. I believe he paid £2250 for a very good condition example 2.0TDI 140 with around 140K on the clock, this was a few months ago.

There's a few A4s at the moment S-Line trim but like you said they are missing things like Cruise control

I'm favouring towards the Mazda 3 as it does have everything and I'd save a bit of money for repairs if need be. Only issue is the engine which no one I know has experience of. Hoping someone on here does. The Mazda is big enough for what I need and isn't common as muck.

Caporegime
There's a few A4s at the moment S-Line trim but like you said they are missing things like Cruise control

Cruise control is an easy retrofit. You just need the stalks, they plug straight in (the socket is already there in the steering column/ring behind the steering wheel) and then you just need someone with a VAG COM to enable it.

S-Line trim isn't the be-all and end-all, you can get SE's with a decent spec too, but the S-Line comes with (I think) 15MM lower suspension and generally larger wheels with lower profile tyres, which improves things in the handling department somewhat.

The B7 A4 2.0TDI is the same class of car as the E90 320D but you generally get a lot more car for your money.

Back
Top Bottom