Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
What is the model number of that dome? I hate domes but if I remember, Dahua are so far not introducing TrueColour to their turret range unlike Hikvision who are which has upset a lot of Dahua uses.

It's an IPC-HDBW4239R-ASE.

That photo is from the sub-stream as I took it on my phone last night.

e; It's also straight out the box and no other config applied.

I'll be purchasing a Turret if/when they're released.

We no longer sell Hikvision, and have migrated over to Dahua now so I can't compare with Hik's offerings as I don't have much of a supply chain for them.

To be brutally honest, Dahua seem to be a lot better on the cameras, the support, the config/GUI. However, Hik's mobile software is worlds above. I'm struggling with Dahua mobile apps still.

Associate
I wouldn't recommend Wi-Fi cameras, so I couldn't comment.
I guess I should be looking at hard wired systems instead then?
Nobody said anything when I asked about the swann system the other day lol

Luckily I still haven't purchased anything yet, so can anyone recommend a decent value starter system with a couple of cameras and decent quality video please?
Are there any particular brands that are recommended?
How about:
https://www.swann.com/uk/swdvk-855804

[Edit] also, can anyone recommend some lighting?
Or is it a case of anything will do?
Would IR or spotlight be better?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I guess I should be looking at hard wired systems instead then?
Nobody said anything when I asked about the swann system the other day lol

Luckily I still haven't purchased anything yet, so can anyone recommend a decent value starter system with a couple of cameras and decent quality video please?
Are there any particular brands that are recommended?
How about:
https://www.swann.com/uk/swdvk-855804

[Edit] also, can anyone recommend some lighting?
Or is it a case of anything will do?
Would IR or spotlight be better?

I can't comment on camera systems, as I haven't go any or decided on what yet myself, but you can save a few quid over paying for the ones with great night vision by getting some solar powered sensor lights.

I have some MPow ones set up on the driveway, and they do a great job illuminating things, so a camera's night vision quality would be less of a concern.

Caporegime
Looking at Nest myself for full integration and the fact it will be 50% discount after the Nest Hello is installed on the sub. £20 a year per camera. I was thinking 4 external so £120 a year for 5 days of 24/7 footage to the cloud on 5 cameras.

the issue being if i set up my own they could steal the NVR making the CCTV useless. but the nest has no local storage meaning if the internet or wi-fi is disabled or the power so are the cameras.

i suppose if power was disabled my own hard wired wouldn't work anyway but they would without internet.

Associate
Just got a Synology DS918+ and i'm interested in getting two cameras to use with the two free Surveillance station cameras
Was going to get WIFI but mains powered cameras (sorry im clueless on terminology on them) because where i want to install them theres security lights nearby with waterproof junction boxes i can get power from.
Are WIFI cameras that bad?

Soldato
Looking at Nest myself for full integration and the fact it will be 50% discount after the Nest Hello is installed on the sub. £20 a year per camera. I was thinking 4 external so £120 a year for 5 days of 24/7 footage to the cloud on 5 cameras.

the issue being if i set up my own they could steal the NVR making the CCTV useless. but the nest has no local storage meaning if the internet or wi-fi is disabled or the power so are the cameras.

i suppose if power was disabled my own hard wired wouldn't work anyway but they would without internet.

Might want to check your subscription prices. I pay £120 a year for only 3 cameras (2 cameras and a doorbell) and think thats for the 5 day package. It's £4 for the first device and then £3 for additional devices.

Might be cheaper to pay for the year but don't think it's only £20

Caporegime
Might want to check your subscription prices. I pay £120 a year for only 3 cameras (2 cameras and a doorbell) and think thats for the 5 day package. It's £4 for the first device and then £3 for additional devices.

Might be cheaper to pay for the year but don't think it's only £20

it is cheaper for the year.

it's £40 per year for 1st camera then 50% discount on each subsequent one.

so £20 per year per each additional camera.

and you should be paying £4 a month and £2 per month so £48 and £24 per year. so you are paying the equivalent of a 20% APR to pay monthly. it would be worth switching to yearly IMO

Soldato
What are the best software options if you go with custom home NAS storage for cctv? Is there anything that offers comparable Nest IQ features, e.g. face recognition, email/app alerts, good mobile access etc.

Back
Top Bottom