• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

vega 56 / 1070

Associate
i can get either for aroudn the same price are they equal cards with not much in it or is there an advantage to be gained by using either one of them ?

Associate
Vega 56 no competition, if you uv and oc you'll get stock vega64/1080+ performance.

I'd pay the bit extra for the Sapphire Pulse though, not a fan of the old blower reference cards although im sure it'll be fine at stock with the auto undervolt.

bru

bru

Soldato
I've had a 1070 that I replaced with a 1080ti. I've also got a Vega 56. The Vega 56 is notably faster, once undervolted it's significantly faster.
Vega 56 especially if you under volt and overclock it
Vega 56 no competition, if you uv and oc you'll get stock vega64/1080+ performance.

I'd pay the bit extra for the Sapphire Pulse though, not a fan of the old blower reference cards although im sure it'll be fine at stock with the auto undervolt.

Undervolt.....undervolt....undervolt......and here I was thinking that nobody cared about power consumption, or am I remembering that thread differently to the rest of the forum.;)

Associate
I've got a Vega 56 and a 1070.
The Vega 56 is sat in it's box while I use the 1070.

Although to be fair that's only because with the Vega 56 in my PC crashes every couple of minutes.
I was in same boat as OP , was looking to get Vega 56 but after reading through its thread went against it as it takes lots of playing about to get it perfect. Instead just got second hand evga gtx 1070ti with two year warranty left. Should be good till Navi comes out and than sell it if Navi is good as they say. Think if 56 nitro+ was available I would have gone for that.

Associate
Undervolt.....undervolt....undervolt......and here I was thinking that nobody cared about power consumption, or am I remembering that thread differently to the rest of the forum.;)
It's not only for lower power draw, but lower temps which means lower fan speed and higher core clocks.

bru

bru

Soldato
You're remembering it differently, because the undervolting discussion is about bringing temps down.

Not really the way the thread went.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/nvidia-fire-shots-at-amds-7nm-graphics-technology.18851254/

But ill give you that your comment was certainly in that direction.

And I say this in all honesty, Panos, hot and "inefficient" GPUs have held tipped the balance in my room temperature over the colder months, actually saving me a chunk of cash by not having to push the heaters a bit more.

I wonder if I could repurpose a Radeon VII as a close-quarters space heater? The monthly extra I'd save on electricity would cover the cost of the card in 6 months...

:p

But anyway for the opening poster, if you can get them both for about the same price, then either would be good, but to be fair the Vega 56 is slightly faster.
Performance wise in that sort of price bracket I would put them in this sort of order, along with the other relevant cards.

AMD 590 75%
NVidia 1660ti 95%
NVidia 1070 96%
AMD Vega 56 100%
NVidia 1070ti 108%
AMD Vega 64 111%
NVidia 2060 111%

Info taken from the TechPowerup relative performance index. HERE

Of course this is just a rough guide, as certain cards will perform better/worse in different titles.

Hope this helps.

Soldato
Also, it's worth remembering that even Nvidia's current arch Turing acts a lot more like AMD's with the focus on compute, and thus you have games that would show big discrepancies between AMD & Nvidia (Pascal and lower) no longer show those differences, but what that means is there's no hope of the gap ever shrinking between a 1070 & V56, rather only of it further widening in favour of V56. Nvidia's not really in the habit of caring for their older cards. If you're not on the newest they don't care & a lot of their performance advantage lies in precisely those software optimizations.

Man of Honour
Eh Vega 56 has picked up a lot of speed in certain titles but still trails the 1070 in some titles so definitely worth checking benchmarks if you are playing any games specifically as over a broad range of games the Vega cards have very mixed performance.

Back
Top Bottom