LG plans 48-inch OLED TV

Permabanned
That's good news indeed.

We have just bought a 49" Sony Xf9005 TV to replace our 2012 GT50 Plasma. We could have bought a much larger TV, but we are happy enough with both the affordable cost of the smaller models as well as they don't seem to overwhelm the room.
The 49" TV is in our front room and in the back one is a 42". Again we think that it looks good for the room size, although it isn't a small room.

I need to replace my GT50, how are you finding the Sony? How do the blacks compare?

Soldato
I need to replace my GT50, how are you finding the Sony? How do the blacks compare?

I hadn't realised how badly that our beloved GT50 had aged.
My goodness did that become so very apparent after buying this Sony TV...!

With the GT50 during certain scenes we could often see false contouring (banding), rather than the subtle transition in the blues of a sky, for example. We have seen none with this Sony.
The colours are punchy, vivid and and the blacks seem, well very black. Without being crushed either.! The clarity is also a very big step up.
HDR content at 4k from either Amazon or Netflix is very good. Dolby Vision content is a little hit and miss, some being excellent and others being a little dark and subdued - seems common to several brands of TV, not just the Sony.

Upscaling of HD and SD is very good, having got material in SD I was concerned about that.

In every aspect (except for Freeview recordings and Freesat) the TV is a substantial upgrade for us over the GT50. We only paid £739 from RS at the time, so the price was a sweetener.

I manually updated mine to Oreo and it has been fine. Kodi runs well, when needed.

I would struggle to find fault with the TV for our needs. The only grumble is how Sony has implemented the Youview on it over how Panasonic did the same with Freeview on our GT50.

Caporegime

I own a 50" GT50 and a 55" XF90. One is in the bedroom the other the games room.

The XF90's only weakness is amount of zones there is some slight bleeding but it's localised. Other than that it smashed the GT50 in every department including blacks because the picture can go very dark when needed and very bright when needed with the inclusion of HDR, etc.

The XF90's weakness is only shown in very specific scenes and circumstances it's not something you come across often unless you are watching that sandra bullock movie where she is lost in space.

the XF90 is a mid to high end tv probably more high end than mid end. the technology has improved a lot within 5 years with the addition of 4K, HDR, FALD, etc. they are also comparable on a price basis my GT50 was around £900 and my XF900 around £1K (5 inches bigger). it's that good i'm now looking to get rid of the GT50 but I don't really want to as it's still top notch for 1080p content it's just that I'm missing out on 4K and HDR so it will have to go probably next year. I already have 2 other 4k and HDR tv's which is why I can wait til next year to upgrade the bedroom tv.

Permabanned
Thanks Vimes & Psycho for the replies.

I pulled the trigger on the Panasonic TX-55FZ802B in the end for £899, I can only see OLED as the natural successor to Plasma, will report back when she arrives!

My GT50 will be going into the bedroom, I will never sell her!

Caporegime
Thanks Vimes & Psycho for the replies.

I pulled the trigger on the Panasonic TX-55FZ802B in the end for £899, I can only see OLED as the natural successor to Plasma, will report back when she arrives!

My GT50 will be going into the bedroom, I will never sell her!

As good as the GT50 is without the possibility of 4K and HDR it is now no longer an option IMO. I was thinking of actually sticking the GT50 into the games room and putting the XF90 in the bedroom. That way hopefully the retention will kick in so badly I can force an upgrade past the mrs.

Once you see 4K and HDR in action it's pointless using a 1080p screen.

Soldato
/\/\/\/\ I'm a bit sceptical about buying a refurbished telly. The price is good yeah, but I would prefer paying the going rate & get a 5 year warranty from somewhere like JL or RS included. I wouldn't buy a top end set either as I probably wouldnt use all the features & the fact that my sister bought a 58DX802 a couple of years ago & its now got a row of green & white dots at the bottom of the screen, that would irk me somewhat if I paid what they paid (close to 2k at the time)

Soldato
^^^^^^ Totally agree Could not spend that amount on a refurb TV with a 12 months warranty. Perhaps more so with Panasonic as they expect you to send the TV off is it needs to be repaired in that period.

Soldato
I'm a bit sceptical about buying a refurbished telly.
Don't tell everyone, you still have your consumer rights, so 3 (or is it 5 ) years for them to fix it, but you have to pay for the return, we discussed it in an earlier thread.

I had confidence in the Pan non-vestel quality, and have similarly had a pan refurb for 2.5years, without issue, if it it doesn't break down, you win, if it does, maybe you end up paying original retail price. I probably wouldn't do it for sony yet ( jury's out on their return to quality/ceo), LG and samsung neither.
The japanese, like for cars , had quality nailed whilst the others were 'a twinkle in their ....'

Permabanned
Sorry I forgot to mention I did get a 5 year warranty!

Panasonic are currently running a 5 Year warranty promotion, I applied and it was accepted and they sent me the certificate!

Last edited:
Soldato
I dont think OLED Retention is equal to Plasma Retention in terms of commonality and neither do i think all Plasmas were the same in that regard either, they got better towards the end.

I can comment on OLED retention having used one for over a year now, watching a heck of a lot of football on it and a lot of gaming (quite a few 5hr plus sessions) and I must say I have not had a problem yet, all while not using the screen in any different way than i did the KS7000 LED that preceded it.

Back
Top Bottom