• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

cheapest cpu to pair with a Vega 56

Associate
based on my feed back on GPUs what's the best value option in terms of a cpu and motherboard with Vega 56?

based on what iv seen it's a ryzen. I desperately need to build a new one I know there are releases coming but it cant be put on hold any longer.

please reccomend a cpu Ryzen or Intel with suitable motherboard to put with the Vega gpu.

thanks In advance -looking to get this all built over the weekend

Soldato
The Intel price equivalent is the 9400F which can't be overclocked but seems comparable in a number of games.

In more recent games it looks like the extra threads of the Ryzen are winning. I'd suggest this gap will widen with future games.

The Ryzen cooler is far superior and the platform will support future CPU upgrades on the same motherboard.

On the downside Ryzen prefers pricy Samsung b-die ram (although you don't NEED it).

https://www.techspot.com/review/1829-intel-core-i5-9400f-vs-amd-ryzen-5-2600x/

Caporegime
does this compare/ beat its i5 equivalent? been out of the game since well before ryzen.

is it better than a 4670 ?

You can clock the 2600 up to 4.1ghz easy and if your lucky 4.2ghz ...Get a decent B450 mobo, I bought the MSI pro Carbon..then you have the option to plonk in a 3600x come September time (word on the street it beats 9900k at less power in Cinebench...we dont know on games performance yet....But I downgraded to a stop gap Ryzen 2600 from a 9900k and have not be phased by it....If you game at 2k resolution plus then don't sweat it.

I bought the 9900k for my Recording studio but found myself using my 6/12 8750H Dell laptop most of the time for conveience...(Brilliant Chip)

So I sold the 9900k but needed a home for my 1080ti for some casual gaming every now and again...The Ryzen was cheap...offered decent gaming and tbh I dont notice the difference in games I have tested over the 9900k although I saved myself £750 in doing this...Thats a lot of money for a few FPS in fraps I dont really see anyway....

Associate
does this compare/ beat its i5 equivalent? been out of the game since well before ryzen.

is it better than a 4670 ?

Much better, better IPC, 50% more cores and triple the threads. Any 4 threaded CPU will bottleneck a modern GPU, minimum you want these days is 4 cores and 8 threads. More the better for the long run especially with next gen consoles on the horizon which will have Ryzen APUs.

Back
Top Bottom