Minx Min22

Associate
Just upgraded my sub as broke my old one shuffling it about while decorating. I have the pioneer hts100 starter set that came with my old amp. The new sub is a ca minx x201. So the question is will upgrading the speaker to min22’s make a difference. I believe this pair up with the sub well and I need a small size as they have to fit in my cabinet which is a maja sound concept 1400. My amp is pioneer vsx1131. Thanks in advance.

Man of Honour
If you mean the speakers from a Pioneer HTP-100 home cinema kit, then yes, the CA Minx 22 will be a big step up.

On the other hand, if you really did mean the HTS-100 which is a Tannoy designation, then the CA speakers would be a move sideways IMO.

Man of Honour
Yes.

As you said yourself, the HTS-100 is a starter kit. It's designed to get people up and running and give them something better than they'd get from a typical Blu-ray-drive-based home cinema system that you might find in a Comet store. If we look at the specs, the main surround speakers use a single driver in each to keep costs down, but unlike a BMR driver, these weren't designed as a hybrid tweeter/midrange driver; they're being asked to do something that's a bit of a stretch. IIRC, the sub is passive too, but I'm not 100% sure on that. If it is, then that's another cost saving compromise. Powered subs are more expensive to build, but they work better.

Putting all this in context, someone with a HTP100 kit might reasonably expect to upgrade the speakers at some point, and make the move to one of the packages with a powered sub and better satellites. That in itself would be a big upgrade in sound, unless of course the room is a complete sonic disaster which makes it impossible the really hear any change. A decent first step would be something along the lines of Wharfedale or the CA Min12 + SX120 sub at around £350-£400 for example. You're planning on leapfrogging that step and going all in with the £650 Minx 22 kit, so yes, it will be a noticeable jump in performance compared to the speakers from the HTS-100 kit.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply. Gonna have a look at the speakers on Sunday. See if I can get a demo running with the sub I’ve already got.

Associate
OP
Got finished early from work today and Picked up 3 min22 for front. Just set up. Does sound clearer already. Ran MCACC and there down to -2 were the pioneers were +1.5 but did notice the sub went up a few dB to 6

Permabanned
Also have a look at using a CA Aero 5 for centre duties, it will sound a lot better than a MIN22, MIN22 for LR is fine.

Using a MIN22 for centre duties will not work well for dialogue, the MIN22 requires the crossover to be set at 140Hz - 150Hz causing some male dialogue to come out of the sub, this means you will have to put the sub right below the centre channel. With the Aero 5 the crossover will be set at 80Hz - 90Hz letting you situate the sub anywhere for optimum performance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom