What book are you reading...

Associate
Anyone who can recommend me some true crime books? I've just read the book about Levi Bellfied written by the lead investigator of the murders and got very interested n reading more books but got no idea where to start. Previously I read the book "the Jigsaw Man" by Paul Britton who is a forensic psychologist and I foudn that really interesting too.

Soldato
Picked up 'The Hunt for Red October' for a quid in The Works sale today, so will be reading that. Can't believe that I've never read the book, especially considering I've read nearly all the other Tom Clancy novels and have seen the film God knows how many times.

Soldato
So after reading a few recommendations, it seems as though a good book to follow from The Expanse series is Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds.

Read the first 40 or so pages on break a little while ago, seems very heavy going straight off the bat, huge in scope and scale. Quite jarring in that the first three chapters are in three different time periods as well and not chronological.

Soldato
So after reading a few recommendations, it seems as though a good book to follow from The Expanse series is Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds.

Read the first 40 or so pages on break a little while ago, seems very heavy going straight off the bat, huge in scope and scale. Quite jarring in that the first three chapters are in three different time periods as well and not chronological.

The Revelation Space books are incredibly, incredibly dense. They are full of storylines, important characters, different time periods, mind bending ideas, different planets, etc. They have a real sense of desolation and huge scope. It's like a sci-fi War & Peace. You feel mentally exhausted reading them, there is so much in there, and you find new things when you re-read them. They are very good, but you do have to gird your loins to read them, they are that intense.

Soldato
The Revelation Space books are incredibly, incredibly dense. They are full of storylines, important characters, different time periods, mind bending ideas, different planets, etc. They have a real sense of desolation and huge scope. It's like a sci-fi War & Peace. You feel mentally exhausted reading them, there is so much in there, and you find new things when you re-read them. They are very good, but you do have to gird your loins to read them, they are that intense.

Thanks for the comments, never really realised how deep they were from the recommendations I'd seen online. Will definitely stick with at least the first book and see how I feel at the end.

Doesn't help I only have time to read in breaks at work and my head is normally frazzled before even starting to read each day.

Permabanned
Pandering for a bit of a sci-fi fix I have been reading some books by Peter F Hamilton who I have not read before. I have read the Void Trilogy which was fairly good. Now on the second book of The Nights Dawn Trilogy, also quite good so far.

Soldato
Currently reading The Gulag Archipelago (volume 1) by aleksandr solzhenitsyn.
isbn 978-0-06-125371-3

I stumbled upon an audio book of this from the 1970's on youtube and decided I had to read it for myself.

Volumes 2 & 3 are waiting on the shelf.

My overriding impression is that of a rabid animal eating itself. But instead of a diseased animal succumbing to madness, it is men and women... wholesale submission to and participation in such unbridled savagery and revolutionary didactics that I can scarcely comprehend that such madness has existed (and continues) in the minds of individuals like you and I.
If you ever wanted a glimpse into the terror of bureaucracy, the indifference of ideologies, and the petty brutality and servile nature of human beings, the outcome of which is the murder and working to death of millions of people, then this is the uncomfortable read for you.

Given what I've digested of this title so far, I'd wager that just about everyone in GD or speakers corner (or motors and home and garden, for that matter :eek: ) would suffer arrest and torture and detention prior to sentencing; either a bullet to the back of the head or a minimum of 10, 15, or 25 years in a hard labour camp, followed by exile should you survive.

I sometimes have to stand back and remember how lucky we are to be alive now and in a western country. Whilst we have a chequered history here in the UK, nothing (and I really mean nothing) compares or comes even remotely close to the terror crushingly imposed on the victims of the russian revolution and its subsequent generations under the yoke of the soviet union.

Soldato
I'm re-reading A Dance of Dragons: Dreams and Dust by GRRM (Game of Thrones) I think I'm enjoying it more this time than the first time. Although I remember being disappointed with it the first time around. I can't remember if it's After The Feast I didn't like.

Also bought a few graphic novels on Comixology, Letter 44, I Kill Giants and something about an Underwater Welder. Although they'll have to wait as I'm reading Lucifer (the first run) which I'm quite enjoying. Really continues in Gaiman's style for me.

Soldato
Agreed, from what I recall they were quite good. Been long enough for a re-read! Will wait till its announced. :)
I recently finished The Wise Man’s Fear and I loved it (along with TNOTW).

Can’t wait for the third instalment.

Did you read The Slow Regard of Silent Things? Auri never really interested me as a character so I haven’t bothered with it, but it is meant to be a good read…

I have a couple of books on my shelf waiting to be read but I have a six-week old who is currently taking up my spare time. :D

Soldato
I recently finished The Wise Man’s Fear and I loved it (along with TNOTW).

Can’t wait for the third instalment.

Did you read The Slow Regard of Silent Things? Auri never really interested me as a character so I haven’t bothered with it, but it is meant to be a good read…

I have a couple of books on my shelf waiting to be read but I have a six-week old who is currently taking up my spare time. :D

You'll have to wait :p

Still not sure what the deadline is or if he has even made any progress. I believe he has had some personal issues which really delayed things.

Back
Top Bottom