After 14 years gaming what have you learnt/done?

Permabanned
I was about 10 when Pong was released in the UK on the Atari 2600 - remember being fascinated by it but had no idea how it would change my life (surrounded by xbox one s, switch, ps4 and this pc)

Only do sp as I got turned off multi years ago by too many morons online ( my reactions are pants also so Im terrible at squad based games etc).

Mainly into racing games - whether its Mario Karts, Forza Horizons, Colin McRea Rally, (Duel II back in the day with a Ferrari vs Porsche 959), Gran Tourismo, but also love puzzle games like Mario and Zelda

Was lucky enough to have both a ZX81 and a spectrum when they were both pretty current, and loading games via tape was such a ball ache hahahaa, the temrament needed to wait several minutes and even then it would mis-read every so often and you would have to start loading again (manic miner / jet set willy, jet pack, Knights Lore to name a few )

Test drive the duel with the 959 and F40. Came on data disks, first type of DLC back before the internet. Most people wont know what your talking about but i do. Along with these...manic miner / jet set willy, jet pack, Knights Lore

Associate
  • Started off gaming in 1985 on my C64, then onto Sega Mega Drive and N64
  • First real PC experience was 1993 in high school
  • First PC game was Duke Nukem
  • Started a very successful CS 1.3 clan that was top 5 in Clanbase and 2nd in ECSL
  • Was one of the head admins for UK2 gaming servers
  • Destroy players with Teemo on LoL every day
  • Lotro legend
  • All round d*** head

Associate
I remember playing space invaders in the late 1970s while waiting on my grandfather at the airport and a while after having it on a stand alone machine with the shaped plasma tubes.

The early 80s was the arcade, then mid 80s was Amstrad, Jake the Nipper, Elite, Double Dragon, Paper Boy and Dizzy. Not to forget Bat and Ball and Crystal Forest on the school's bbc computers.

Sega in the early 90s,

PC gaming by mid 90s, then online gaming became a thing, UO would cost 1p or was it 5p a minute to play through your modem. Q2 followed a while later I think I played a lot on Framewire or something like that, it was all new and fresh for everyone and there felt like there was a real buzz about it. Unreal and Unreal Tournament and then along came Halflife and I got lost within Team Fortress Classic and Diablo 2.

So many games, if I have learnt anything it would be that you shouldn't follow gaming trends but do keep and eye open for stuff you may like and that your taste in games will drift and you will never have enough time.

Associate
Started playing the PS1 when I was about 7, then PS2 (timesplitters anybody?!), then got into PC gaming with UT2004 (so may hours spent!!). Built my first gaming PC aged 13 in 2007.

Then Crysis came out, and i've had a boner ever since...

Associate
I first started with a ZX81 - buying computer magazines to then spend hours typing in the code which usually turned out to be 2 lines and a square 'ball' for Tennis :)
Then onto ZX Spectrum 48k (rubber keys) - that is where I really got the gaming bug.
I had hundreds of copied games (tape to tape) with books full of cheat codes haha.....those were the days!

Back
Top Bottom