I have bought a refurbished alienwear aurora 7

i7 8700 (non k)
GTX1080

it comes with a 460w psu.

i probably will want to update the graphics card next year

however will 460w be enough

obviously as the CPU is a non k version then it wont be overclocked

Man of Honour
That psu has triple 12v rails of 18A/16A/8A so it should have enough power for that spec but doesn't leave much headroom, especially if you overclock the gpu. However, with a GTX1080 and i7 8700 I would have expected the 850w psu to be supplied as that seems to be the standard psu for the pc with your spec. The 460w psu seems to be for the i5 and GTX1060 or lower options. Personally I would want more power and would be looking at a quality 650w psu to allow for a decent upgrade (the 2080 for example is quite a bit more power hungry than the 1080).

There are some fantastic deals on Antec psu's at the moment which end around lunchtime tomorrow. The Earthwatts Pro is gold rated, semi modular, has 648w of it's 650w on a single 12v rail and has a 7 year warranty. It is made by Seasonic for Antec. The HCG Gold are fully modular, has 648w and 744w on their respective single 12v rails and have a 10 year warranty. They are also made by Seasonic and are basically a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold in a different casing.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Associate
That psu has triple 12v rails of 18A/16A/8A so it should have enough power for that spec but doesn't leave much headroom, especially if you overclock the gpu. However, with a GTX1080 and i7 8700 I would have expected the 850w psu to be supplied as that seems to be the standard psu for the pc with your spec. The 460w psu seems to be for the i5 and GTX1060 or lower options. Personally I would want more power and would be looking at a quality 650w psu to allow for a decent upgrade (the 2080 for example is quite a bit more power hungry than the 1080).

There are some fantastic deals on Antec psu's at the moment which end around lunchtime tomorrow. The Earthwatts Pro is gold rated, semi modular, has 648w of it's 650w on a single 12v rail and has a 7 year warranty. It is made by Seasonic for Antec. The HCG Gold are fully modular, has 648w and 744w on their respective single 12v rails and have a 10 year warranty. They are also made by Seasonic and are basically a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold in a different casing.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Just as a side note the 850W version of the Antec HCG Gold is currently the same price as the 750W one.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/antec-hcg-gold-850w-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-24y-an.html

Last edited:
Man of Honour
does anyone know whether the PSU referred to above would fit

i know the seasonic own brand one works as its suggested as a direct replacement

https://seasonic.com/focus-plus-gold

https://www.dell.com/community/Alie...7-which-retail-850w-PSU-will-fit/td-p/6185281

Like I said above, the Antec HCG is a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold in a different case. If you click on the links that I provided you will see that the size is exactly the same as the Seasonic as well, 150x140x86mm. As Double07 mentions above though, if you are thinking of the 750w version it's just as well to get the 850w version for the same price. Physical dimensions remain the same. Just remember that the prices will return to normal around tomorrow lunchtime.

Associate
Like I said above, the Antec HCG is a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold in a different case. If you click on the links that I provided you will see that the size is exactly the same as the Seasonic as well, 150x140x86mm. As Double07 mentions above though, if you are thinking of the 750w version it's just as well to get the 850w version for the same price. Physical dimensions remain the same. Just remember that the prices will return to normal around tomorrow lunchtime.

How do you find the time to have 17k posts on here when you live where you do, Id be permanently in a Whisky coma :) haha.

Associate
OP
dell have confirmed that its a 460psu and that is the default spec for the 1080gtx on the dell site,. They will knock a further 10% off the price though so if i accept it will be around £880.

Soldato
While not exactly plentiful, quality 460W PSU would be enough for reference GTX 1080, which has very frugal power consumption.
Gaming load would be somewhere around fair 300W.

But more power hungry graphics card would start pushing it.

Associate
I wouldn't want overclocks with that setup, but it will work. I assume it's like that as its a non-K chip.

I certainly wouldn't recommend 460W, as it doesn't give you any headroom to upgrade and will have lower efficiency. I always say that a PSU generally lasts 10 years, so buying expecting to do a full upgrade except PSU and case is expected.

Back
Top Bottom