TV size - 10ft viewing distance

Soldato
I've narrowed it down to either the LG 65 B8 or C8.
I would go with the C8 all day long. Differences from the website -

The Comparison
When comparing the LG OLED B8 vs. the OLED C8, the differences, at least on the surface, are difficult to find. Of course, they’re both state-of-the-art OLED TVs, breathing new life into movies, sports, games and with OLED’s tell-tale perfect black and intense color that’s only offered by the Best. Picture. Ever*. But when you dig a little deeper, you'll discover some fine variations that may mean a lot to you. Here are a few:

The Processors. While the B8 has an a7 processor, the C8 boasts an a9 processor, which means that the B8 has slightly more limited processing power than the C8. One of the things that this means for you is that the B8 uses dual-step noise reduction, rather than the quad-step process found in the C8. However, while the B8's processor may not be as streamlined as the C8's, and there may be slight differences in overall sharpness, both televisions produce stunningly crisp, lifelike images.

High Frame Rate (HFR) & High Dynamic Range (HDR). Although the B8 and C8 both support HDR imaging, and high frame rates, because of the somewhat more limited processing power of the B8, that television cannot support both simultaneously. However, with the increased processing power of the C8, HDR and HFR can be used at the same time.

The Design. The most noticeable difference in the LG C8 vs. B8 comparison comes in the design – specifically in the design of the televisions' stands. The C8's is slightly wider and heavier than the B8's, and it features a cutout beneath the downward-directed speakers that help reflect sound toward the front of the television. Meanwhile, the B8's stand might look similar, but without the cutout, it isn't able to direct sound quite as well as the C8.

Although the LG B8 and C8 may appear virtually identical, there are some slight nuances that may make the C8 a better choice for the die-hard movie buffs among us. That said, both televisions deliver superior images in 4K Ultra HD, incredible Dolby Atmos* sound, and offer AI (Artificial Intelligence) ThinQ® with the Google Assistant built in, so you can control compatible smart home devices using just your voice. Create a center for your smart home and beyond. Plus, it works with Amazon Alexa devices.

Associate
OP
I am tempted with the C8 however the guys over on avforums and a number of reviews seem to suggest they are pretty much identical in terms of picture quality and not worth the additional cost of £460.

Soldato
I am tempted with the C8 however the guys over on avforums and a number of reviews seem to suggest they are pretty much identical in terms of picture quality and not worth the additional cost of £460.

That's not true. You gotta be careful who you listen to, most are just parrots. They repeat things they don't quite understand in a game of hardware telephone. They do have the same panels but that's not the only thing that determines picture quality, or other characteristics (like motion). Is the difference worth £460? Hard to say, too many variables to judge off hand. Further discussion here.

Personally, I would pay extra for the C8, but that's because the LG OLED's weaknesses are alleviated enough by the upgrade to be worth buying in the first place. I don't know if I'd want the B8 even just for movies exclusively compared to what's out there. Depends on what you value more at the end of the day.

Associate

You are at the same point I was. I wanted a B8 or C8 @ 65inch. That price gap has stayed persistent as the price for both sets has fallen. I looked into this a lot and the verdict I got was pretty much that B8 to C8 is not worth £500. 200 or 250 if you can find that deal.

Side note the panel is exactly the same across the 8 range. The main difference is the C8 gets the more "advanced" Alpha 9 processor. It has better LUT tables for HDR and most people agree it handles motion a smidge better.

And just to throw a spanner in the works. Award winning panasonic 65fz802b. Better colours and motion than the c8. A 65" can be hand for around or just under £2000. Plus the out of box results are so good you dont even need to drop 200-300 on a professional calibration to see amazing results. Food for thought.

Or as its that time of year the new models and pricing have been announced could wait for some reviews to be dropping of this years range in the next few weeks.

Soldato
the (still?) imminent firmware fixes for posturization and flashing may still draw clear water betwen c8 and b8 ,
dark 4k scenes and the frequent lower bitrate film4 movie are, where I would hope oleds excel, above the current led I use; so, I might wait for feedback on these.

Saying that, its not clear how these problems impact viewing external hdmi source eg apple4k/skyQ/roku.

Soldato
75'' Sony XF90 is very close in price to the 65'' C8. Just sayin' ;)

I was in the same situation as the op but was coming from plasma and really wanted the same and better picture but in end didn't want the headaches of babysitting a TV, due to image retention or burn in. Also wanted a large screen above 65 inches and 77 inches oled are stupid prices. I did have my heart set on a Samsung 82 inch but the image was terrible when I went to view it. So I checked other tvs and the 75 inch Sony xf9005 won clearly and the best upgrade in years for me and don't miss the plasma one bit.

Also op 65 inch is too small for the area you have and also light there so a 65 inch oled is not really right. Go see the 75 inch xf9005 you will fall for it and see it next to an oled 65 inch. You will be glad you did.

Associate
OP
I was in the same situation as the op but was coming from plasma and really wanted the same and better picture but in end didn't want the headaches of babysitting a TV, due to image retention or burn in. Also wanted a large screen above 65 inches and 77 inches oled are stupid prices. I did have my heart set on a Samsung 82 inch but the image was terrible when I went to view it. So I checked other tvs and the 75 inch Sony xf9005 won clearly and the best upgrade in years for me and don't miss the plasma one bit.

Also op 65 inch is too small for the area you have and also light there so a 65 inch oled is not really right. Go see the 75 inch xf9005 you will fall for it and see it next to an oled 65 inch. You will be glad you did.

Thanks Purgatory but decided to go to 65" for now which I think will be fine for day to day viewing and may look into adding a projector further down the line If I feel it's needed. The picture was taken at night with the lights on so in normal use they would be dimmed right down or off.

Associate
65” looks a little small and 10ft is quite a distance away. I think you want a 77” if going for OLED.

:confused:

I don't think 10ft is "quite a distance away". I think you'll find that most people view their TV from around that distance. I have a fairly small living room and view from about 10ft. Just changed from a 40" to a 49" TV and it looks fine. Thought about a 55", but it might have been a bit too big.

It doesn't matter how good the TV is, if you are mostly watching HD material and you are close to a very large screen, picture quality won't be too clever. At 10ft, I wouldn't recommend anything above 55", but opinions will vary.

Associate
I have 2 sofas in my living room, one is about 8ft away and the other is about 12ft and I have a 65" TV. I find that either is great for TV/Movies but I like to sit in the closer one when playing games where I need to read menus, etc. Then again I dont have the best eyesight :) Either way 65" is fine at 10ft I reckon :)

Back
Top Bottom