****Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - Official Thread****

Soldato
I found Rose much more annoying! Don't get me wrong, the abuse the actress got was ridiculous BUT the character...
Finn decides to kamikaze the battering ram/cannon thing in an attempt to save everyone. So what does she do? Kamikazes into him in a crash which should have killed both of them, allowing the cannon to blow the door and in theory for the new order chaps to waltz in and massacre everyone they hold dear.
Brilliant work there Rose...

Rose - You win by saving those you love!
Finn - But you've just allowed the FO to kill everyone I love by firing that cannon I was trying to stop, you stupid.............................

She's a terribly written character.

Caporegime
I didn’t mind the first film so much, but it’s very clear the quality of writing is absolute horse poop.

Almost everything about the 2nd film was a *****, jarring mess. Has nothing to do with it being a Star Wars movie with previous form, it’s just bad.

There’s just something so childish about it all, I know it’s Disney, and that Star Wars always had a humorous streak, but the grim/dark features of the universe are basically just there to check off a list I feel... rather than digging deep into it in a revelation that there was actually something worth fighting to save (those kids aren’t it, also seemed to be forced).

I doubt it’ll be saved by a third outing tbh, I’m sure it’ll please the soft of mind instagrammers and sycophantic fans who see it anyway. Maybe I’m just a cynical ****, but they could have done so much better with such a budget...

Maybe the mandalorian will be more grimdark, doubt it though.

Last edited:
Associate
Should read my post above and understand it's not aimed at you. It's for a new generation

Disney wouldn't pay 4 billion for a franchise to build up a new fanbase whilst ignoring the old. They paid 4 billion to have access to the massive original fanbase and their money. If they wanted a sci fi for a new generation they could have just saved themselves the money and created a new IP.
TFA being so similar to ANH was not coincidence, it was to create a familiar experience to suck in the older fans. It's very much aimed at the old generation, problem is, their aim is a good as a squad of Imperial troopers.

Caporegime
Disney wouldn't pay 4 billion for a franchise to build up a new fanbase whilst ignoring the old. They paid 4 billion to have access to the massive original fanbase and their money. If they wanted a sci fi for a new generation they could have just saved themselves the money and created a new IP.
TFA being so similar to ANH was not coincidence, it was to create a familiar experience to suck in the older fans. It's very much aimed at the old generation, problem is, their aim is a good as a squad of Imperial troopers.

The Last Jedi is hugely popular with audiences and with self-described Star Wars fans. This is what all the properly conducted polling shows. Stop misrepresenting the angry online response of a minority as the general opinion.

Permabanned
It is trash Finn is token black guy for the black people, Rey for the Feminist crowd and was there an Asian too for that market lol...

For me this died after Episode III the original trilogy is perfection though no token actors just a good film. What they are doing is akin to Ghostbusters but you know if i get the original six in 8k they can have gay jarjar binks as the lead for all i care, Because i stopped with Hollywood in 2010 or so.

Associate
It is trash Finn is token black guy for the black people, Rey for the Feminist crowd and was there an Asian too for that market lol...

For me this died after Episode III the original trilogy is perfection though no token actors just a good film. What they are doing is akin to Ghostbusters but you know if i get the original six in 8k they can have gay jarjar binks as the lead for all i care, Because i stopped with Hollywood in 2010 or so.

Was Lando a token black guy too? :rolleyes:
Thankfully the originals didn't have a blaster toting princess running around. That'd be really silly.

Man of Honour

And chewbacca was for the furry market :)

Associate
The Last Jedi is hugely popular with audiences and with self-described Star Wars fans. This is what all the properly conducted polling shows. Stop misrepresenting the angry online response of a minority as the general opinion.

What properly conducted polling is this? The ones that didn't ask the Russian bots for their opinion?
Those fans that it was so popular with didn't exactly fill the cinemas to see the next film in the franchise. Perhaps they were too busy writing to Disney, to tell them how they were so excited for the now cancelled Kenobi and Boba Fett films and forgot to go.

Soldato
People the last Jedi thread is here:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/star-wars-viii-the-last-jedi-warning-spoilers.18766527/

Go and post over there or just give it a rest or we will be 50 pages into this thread talking about the same old nonsense before the film even comes out....

Back to topic:

Watched the teaser a couple of times and it certainly is a teaser, they've not given much away apart from title of the film and the return of the emperor, I wasn't expecting those at all. Should make some good hype building.

Soldato
You sir, are talking out of your rear.

Caporegime
You sir, are talking out of your rear.

Wrong.

The sequel earned its third straight A from CinemaScore after The Force Awakens two years ago and last December’s Rogue One. And on ComScore/Screen Engine, Last Jedi earned an 89% overall positive score and a five-star rating from moviegoers. That’s in the wheelhouse of what Force Awakens earned (90% overall positive/ 4 1/2 stars) and Rogue One (91% positive, 4 1/2 stars). These are scientific, statistically accumulated audience exit polls that studios can take to the bank, and which they rely upon to deconstruct various elements of a film’s opening.​

As usual, you are entitled to your own opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts. The fact is that The Last Jedi was extremely well received by audiences, according to properly conducted polling.

Soldato
Wrong.

The sequel earned its third straight A from CinemaScore after The Force Awakens two years ago and last December’s Rogue One. And on ComScore/Screen Engine, Last Jedi earned an 89% overall positive score and a five-star rating from moviegoers. That’s in the wheelhouse of what Force Awakens earned (90% overall positive/ 4 1/2 stars) and Rogue One (91% positive, 4 1/2 stars). These are scientific, statistically accumulated audience exit polls that studios can take to the bank, and which they rely upon to deconstruct various elements of a film’s opening.​

As usual, you are entitled to your own opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts. The fact is that The Last Jedi was extremely well received by audiences, according to properly conducted polling.
Exit polls are pointless for guaging actual meaningfulopinions as people are often cought up in the moment / hysteria and haven't had time to process what they've seen.
When I first saw TFA I thought it was excellent. On second viewing my opinion changed.

Caporegime
True, but that doesn't make them pointless.

I was blown away by TFA at the cinema, but when I watched it in 2017 I thought it was just above average.

Then again I don't watch the original trilogy much now as they don't really excite me anymore.

Soldato
The Last Jedi was ALWAYS going to make money being it's a main episodic movie that would further the new story. a lot of people, including myself, went into TLJ on a high expecting the middle movie of a trilogy (with answers, driving plot, character development etc) to setup the last movie of the Skywalker saga which Disney said before Force Awakens was the intent. TLJ made money because of that, not because it was a great film. Whether you believe it or not that movie split the fanbase which has never been done before, not even the prequels split the fans like TLJ did. The prequels were universally regarded as poor movies, however the story was still Star Wars and it actually expanded the universe and lore in many great ways.

The real question is how will Rise of Skywalker fare following TLJ? It'll make a profit no doubt, Disney are too canny when it comes to making money. That's why we're seeing Lando, it's why they're bringing Palpatine back from the dead and it's why the last episode of the Skywalker saga will be a nostalgia fest, littered with callbacks to the past. Honestly just watch the promotional run-up to December, there will be cameos of a CGI Alec Guinness speaking to Rey, Yoda will be in the movie, they'll 100% have Vader make an appearance somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom