• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is my 2500k on its last legs?

Associate
Thanks people.
I believe it is the hyperthreading that is supposed to make the difference. The socket type on my motherboard states 3770k as the latest chip it supports.

I may go for the 2600k/2700k with the age and them being soldered, so hopefully if abused less chance of heat damage.
I will look to a full upgrade as I can’t move away from the fact, however if I can get another 6-12 months I can look at possibly supporting a higher resolution. 144p maybe and then can hopefully keep the Vega 56 and upgrade everything else.

Going 16gb and switching 2500k to a 2609k and selling old parts should net around a £100 upgrade (if I forget that the Vega cost me £280 on here, though got Division 2 free So value there)

Soldato
Thanks people.
I believe it is the hyperthreading that is supposed to make the difference. The socket type on my motherboard states 3770k as the latest chip it supports.

I may go for the 2600k/2700k with the age and them being soldered, so hopefully if abused less chance of heat damage.
I will look to a full upgrade as I can’t move away from the fact, however if I can get another 6-12 months I can look at possibly supporting a higher resolution. 144p maybe and then can hopefully keep the Vega 56 and upgrade everything else.

Going 16gb and switching 2500k to a 2609k and selling old parts should net around a £100 upgrade (if I forget that the Vega cost me £280 on here, though got Division 2 free So value there)

So I was in EXACTLY the same position as you - sold my 2500k and bought a 2700k. I gained about 15-20% performance in BF1 alone.

However, my vega 56 is hindered still and I get frame drops in most games still - owing a lot to the slower ram speed my board can handle (1600mhz max) and technology from years ago.

My gigabyte z68ap board and associated hardware has done my very proud indeed but I’m at a point where I should now really start considering a full upgrade.

Given the bundle I bought from ocuk all those years ago (z68ap board, ram and 2500k) cost just a few hundred quid, todays utterly daft prices for bundles makes me want to cry.

I was at uni then and had no major responsibilities - now I have a house, a kid and another one on the way. Trying to justify like £600 for a decent bundle (and that’s being very conservative) is really hard.

Associate
So I was in EXACTLY the same position as you - sold my 2500k and bought a 2700k. I gained about 15-20% performance in BF1 alone.

However, my vega 56 is hindered still and I get frame drops in most games still - owing a lot to the slower ram speed my board can handle (1600mhz max) and technology from years ago.

My gigabyte z68ap board and associated hardware has done my very proud indeed but I’m at a point where I should now really start considering a full upgrade.

Given the bundle I bought from ocuk all those years ago (z68ap board, ram and 2500k) cost just a few hundred quid, todays utterly daft prices for bundles makes me want to cry.

I was at uni then and had no major responsibilities - now I have a house, a kid and another one on the way. Trying to justify like £600 for a decent bundle (and that’s being very conservative) is really hard.

I know the feeling pal. I think I got my bundle in around 2011 so has lasted.

I have just won an auction on flea bay for a 2600k for £79 though some may see this as high it may put me off building another PC until after the new chip is released and prices settle. (Plus would like to see how Google's Stadia plays out as may not need top of the range hardware for single player games)

I have some arctic silver that I used back in 2011/12 it comes out looking similar. Just wondering if the paste will be ok still, does it go off?
If I need New, what's the recommended gloop nowadays?

Also what you get with your 2700k in regards to overclock and volt settings?
I can only get 4.4ghz with my i5 2500k to be stable. However would be happy with 4.4ghz on the 2600k.

I think I have similar MB. Mine is don't think like a Z68 XUd3 rev1.0 can't remember full name. Also have 1600hz memory as just bought 16gb vengeance L.P. unsure if it can be clocked however don't want to tweak too much in case I cause instability on my again machine.

Soldato
I know the feeling pal. I think I got my bundle in around 2011 so has lasted.

I have just won an auction on flea bay for a 2600k for £79 though some may see this as high it may put me off building another PC until after the new chip is released and prices settle. (Plus would like to see how Google's Stadia plays out as may not need top of the range hardware for single player games)

I have some arctic silver that I used back in 2011/12 it comes out looking similar. Just wondering if the paste will be ok still, does it go off?
If I need New, what's the recommended gloop nowadays?

Also what you get with your 2700k in regards to overclock and volt settings?
I can only get 4.4ghz with my i5 2500k to be stable. However would be happy with 4.4ghz on the 2600k.

I think I have similar MB. Mine is don't think like a Z68 XUd3 rev1.0 can't remember full name. Also have 1600hz memory as just bought 16gb vengeance L.P. unsure if it can be clocked however don't want to tweak too much in case I cause instability on my again machine.

4.7mhz on my 2700k and rock solid.

Ram won’t go over 1600 - I’ve tried and it has a fit lol

Associate
The socket type on my motherboard states 3770k as the latest chip it supports.

)

If its a p67 be careful. I tried the 3770K upgrade on mine over xmas thinking it woudl be easy but it was a nightmare. Chip can be slotted in on a P67 and works but OC options are not available. Some boards and bios I believe will work but I tried everything including forcing bios flashes from other chipsets before giving up and waiting for the new Ryzen

EDIT: Can probably ignore now I see your OP has a Z77 but worth double checking

C64

C64

Soldato
well he definitely will, 4 to 8 threads with today games is a large upgrade. 2500k at any speed just can game anymore. 2600k's are still killing 1080p

the problem is the number of threads, GPU's now days can do 1080p all day long so the demand on the CPU to keep it is getting more and more, having extra threads will help a lot with this problem.

I my self had a i5 6600(@4.4Ghz) and it as at 100% load all the time, and games got very choppy in heavy action. dropping a 6700k in at stock speeds dropped cpu load to 65% and overclocking to 4.55Ghz dropped load to 45%/50%
which games give gains on the extra threads ? got no problem with any game at 1080p here 2500k @4.2ghz rx470 windows 7 64
if were talking maxing out games with all bells and whistles how long is a piece of string scenario

Permabanned
which games give gains on the extra threads ? got no problem with any game at 1080p here 2500k @4.2ghz rx470 windows 7 64
if were talking maxing out games with all bells and whistles how long is a piece of string scenario

the one game i was talking about in my post was battlefield V, but all modem games will benefit from extra cores.
take the i7 920@ 4.4Ghz will no longer play games to an acceptable level, but you drop in a x5650 @4.4Ghz and your golden because of the extra cores and threads

What games do you play and whet CPU load do you see?

Soldato
take the i7 920@ 4.4Ghz will no longer play games to an acceptable level

What do you mean by "an acceptable level"?

I'm still running my i7 930 at clock speeds (2.8 iirc) coupled with a AMD570 i bought last year and i can run Division 2 @1080p on high settings without a sweat. Will check CPU usage later on, but i vaguely recall looking when i first got the game and it was maybe 60-80% utilised.

Frankly that's more than an acceptable level.

Permabanned
running my i7 930 at clock speeds (2.8 iirc) coupled with a AMD570 i bought last year and i can run Division 2 @1080p on high settings without a sweat

are you running DX12 ingame?
i used a 920 for a short times about 3 years ago and it was dog poo. titanfall, battelfield 4, Black ops 3or2 not 100%. the games was choppy as hell and lagged, it was a 100% load all the time.
When i fitted the x5650 and clocked it to 4.3Ghz the system system was super smooth. the only thing that will have changed in the time is DX12 coming in

the RX570 is a legit GPU for 1080p.

Associate
are you running DX12 ingame?
i used a 920 for a short times about 3 years ago and it was dog poo. titanfall, battelfield 4, Black ops 3or2 not 100%. the games was choppy as hell and lagged, it was a 100% load all the time.
When i fitted the x5650 and clocked it to 4.3Ghz the system system was super smooth. the only thing that will have changed in the time is DX12 coming in

the RX570 is a legit GPU for 1080p.
This was my experience on a 2500k @ 4.6 too, battlefield 4 ran fine after a couple of patches but battlefield 1, kingdom come deliverance, dishonored 2, black ops 4 and many other big games over the past 2-3 years had the 2500k pegged at 100% usage constantly which resulted in poor minimum framerates and microstutter. Crysis 3 also stuttered on the grass levels since they're really cpu heavy, prey had 100% cpu usage and I had to lock framerate to 70 and downscale from 1440p to sort that out.
Swapped it out for a Xeon e3 1270 last year and the difference was immense, even though that chip is locked at 3.4ghz the extra threads helped a lot in modern games and it was at 80-90% usage instead of constant 100%.
Kingdom come was the game that ultimately made me switch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAoisKyQyFs

I now run a Ryzen 2600 though and its great.

Back
Top Bottom