Half of England is owned by < 1% of the population.

Soldato
Would you say that Buckingham Palace is:
* A bloody huge estate
* A modest sized family house
* A bit smaller than your shed

We should be able to tell after that...

A bloody huge estate.

On a side note, it is owned by the crown estate who donate over 70% of the revenue generated by all crown estate properties, windfarms etc to the british tax-payer, always makes me laugh when i see people who genuinley think we pay anything for the royal family (i know you aren't making that point).

Associate
Going back to the first post and the article saying if all the land was distributed evenly we would all have almost an acre.

Well what do they think 90 % of people will do when they get that acre.. They will sell it.

And who would buy it. Not the people the ''gentry'' that originally owned it. they will be broke from having there assets seiezed

Sovereign wealth funds from places like Saudia Arabia.. . china.. and Russian Oligarths will buy it.

Then those muppets in the Guardian along with the muppets that read it can all complain again in 10 years time when they next do a survey..

''Half of all land in England owned by overseas investors''

Caporegime
Going back to the first post and the article saying if all the land was distributed evenly we would all have almost an acre.

Well what do they think 90 % of people will do when they get that acre.. They will sell it.

And who would buy it. Not the people the ''gentry'' that originally owned it. they will be broke from having there assets seiezed

Sovereign wealth funds from places like Saudia Arabia.. . china.. and Russian Oligarths will buy it.

Then those muppets in the Guardian along with the muppets that read it can all complain again in 10 years time when they next do a survey..

''Half of all land in England owned by overseas investors''

Pretty much true as it is, who owns the people that owns the land?

Because they seem to enjoy selling off anything british to some foreign country or oligarch.

Caporegime
Tbh there's not much difference when people are forced to pay >55% of their wages on rents. Often for accommodation which is - as acknowledged by the UK govt - not fit for human habitation.

There is a massive difference and regardless he’s not talking about people in that situation but rather landowners.

Associate
On a side note, it is owned by the crown estate who donate over 70% of the revenue generated by all crown estate properties, windfarms etc to the british tax-payer, always makes me laugh when i see people who genuinley think we pay anything for the royal family (i know you aren't making that point).

Hahah yeah they are SOOOO generous to us plebs arent they!

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Why should I spend time trying to help you there? . . .
Because You asked a question, I answered and asked you for advice and I (mistakenly) thought you might answer.

. . . Did you have an opinion or point to make here?
My opinion is that nobody has a natural entitlement to ownership of large tracts of land which are often unused.

I am not entirely convinced that an elderly couple are really entitled to ownership of estates in Sandringham (20,000 acres in Norfolk), Balmoral (50,000 acres in Scotland), Windsor Castle (13 acres in Berkshire) and Buckingham Palace (a mere 40 acres but bang smack in the middle of London) while housing is in such short supply.

As to people (or companies) who own huge tracts of entirely barren moorland just so that they can shoot birds - the targets are perhaps wrong. If the land cannot be used for agriculture, perhaps it could be more effectively utilised for forestation and conservation purposes - it need not be a private killing ground.

OK?

Back
Top Bottom