A mouse argument i've not seen for years.

Soldato
laser vs optical mouse?

To think you used to see people getting banned on forums for arguing about this but you never see it mentioned these days...

Man of Honour
Optical is good, for actual 1:1 representation of sensor movement to input on screen, laser isn't. So, for gaming, you want an optical sensor with absolutely no added extras smoothing, assisting, or accelerating it.

My opinion is that lasers belong in the bin.

Soldato
wireless laser mice take a bit of waking up... but saying that my all time fav mouse the mx1000(the first laser mouse to be made), that had no trouble waking up.

Soldato
I've just managed to buy the good old "new logitech mx revolation laser wireless mouse",, the 2nd best mouse to my fav "mx1000 laser wireless mouse"

Soldato
I have had some great ball mice... The Razer Boomslang was an amazing mouse, but for me, a tad too large.
I did have a bit of a phaze with trackballs and I still got a couple that still get used once in a while, but only because I kind of paid so much for them I want to justify paying for them kind of way.
I also have a couple of really old mice, and again they actually work amazingly, but only cos I also have a couple of Atari computers and while I have USB and PS/2 converters and I can use more up to date mice, the resolution of newer mice is simply too high for those older computers, and so moving the mouse about 1cm usually ends up throwing the mouse all the way across the screen LOL so mice with a DPI of 400 or less is often better than one with 3000+DPI

Soldato
Still got my Logitech G3 Gaming Laser Mouse. Think its nearly 13 years old now. Can not find anything to beat it. Tried quite a lot of mice over last few years although its more to do with comfortable grip for my arthritic fingers rather than sensor.

Soldato
Still got my Logitech G3 Gaming Laser Mouse. Think its nearly 13 years old now. Can not find anything to beat it. Tried quite a lot of mice over last few years although its more to do with comfortable grip for my arthritic fingers rather than sensor.

Like me and my logitech mx1000,, no other wireless mouse has come close to that, as my hand fitted like a glove over the mouse and with all other mice, my hand would keep sliding off or the buttons would be a tad far away to press comfortably....... If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought like 5 mx1000 mice and stored them away.

If I remember rightly the only prob I had with the logitech mx revolution was the back/forwards button being a bit sharp to press as they are real thin, like the buttons on the mx performance... I havent been able to see if the mx revolution is as good as I remembered it because I am still waiting for the battery to come. They sent me the wrong battery the first time around, but cross fingers and toes that the correct one will come tomorrow and it works.

Last edited:
Soldato
I received the battery today for the mx revolution and it works perfectly. The mouse is as comfortable as I remembered and because of this I can have the mouse sensitivity quite high as my hand doesn't slip off every few mins and I can get to all the buttons with ease.

So its costed £60 all together for the mouse, battery and replacement feet. Plus best of all its a brand new mouse costing £300-£400 on the bay...... who would pay that:eek::eek:

Last edited:
Soldato

Yeah, exactly this

I got 2 G5 Mice, I then got a G7 which is mostly the same, the G9 ( which was nothing like it )
I got a G502 which is the G5 but brought up to date, and that shape, the G5,G7,G502 shape, seems to be pretty much the exact shape for my hands.

I still have all these and many more, as I have a few PCs and Laptops so they do get used, but the Logitechs are all still in full workign order... I had to buy new slidy bits for the bottom once, because I wanted to open it up and I wrecked the feet doing that, but the replacements were so good, I bought more and you get 2 in a pack, so....

Soldato
Yes I bought the replacement feet too on my second pair at the moment. As I have a claw grip my very extensive search resulted in finding a cheap gaming mouse Ninox Aurora which is virtually the same shape so I bought one off fleabay and thats my backup mouse if ever the G3 finally decides to cark it.

Back
Top Bottom