SSD health: crystal health

Associate
Hi all,

I own a crucial ssd mx100, and installed crystal health. Based upon the health status, do you think its time I replace it? Its getting on a bit.

nladzd.jpg

Associate
I think most on here would recommend Samsung or Crucial. I have a couple of Samsung drives and a Crucial and have no complaints.

I also have SSDs from Patriot, OCZ, Sandisk and Toshiba and don't have any complaints about those either. It really depends on your use-case and your budget.

I would just find something that's in budget and has a decent warranty and then research reviews etc.. Then buy from a reputable dealer.

Associate
I can't see all the SMART data, though for that drive it's probably looking at CA id 'Percent Lifetime Used'.

It's important to remember that's just what the manufacturer has set the value to be, it usually has no relation to the actual endurance of the drive.

Looking at AD 'Average Block-Erase Count' which stands at 46, I'd expect the NAND to be capable or a figure higher than 1000 at least, probably much higher. The drive also hasn't used any B4 'Unused Reserve NAND Blocks' if that resource starts getting used then the drive may be nearing end of life.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Something isn't right about that screenie, it seems wrong! SSD life is on writes and the mx100 is rated at 65gb/day for 3 years or 71,175 GB write life (69TB). Your drive has written approx 26.1TB so I think you have around 60% life left in the drive. Was very suprised with the poor lifetime of your disk so looked at some of mine...

Samsung NVME

Old mech Samsung Spinpoint F1 - 8.25 years power on hours (they dont make them like they used to!)

Personally id replace it with a Samsung SSD/NVME that are rated at like 400-500TB writes.

Associate
The MX100 will probably do a few PB's of writes. You shouldn't rely on what cystaldiskinfo says, like I said previously the manufacturers set the values for health in regard to SMART, though they usually don't reflect the real endurance of the NAND flash.

Back
Top Bottom