The current obsession with popping exhausts

Soldato
Maybe?

:p

The exhaust should only make a racket when provoked (going for a hoon). It should be refined and tasteful at all other times.

This all day long. My 6.2 C63 in comfort is absolutely fine when poodling about at 30 but you'll defo hear it once it's opened up. And thats without any exhaust or secondary decat mods!

Was in traffic today however and fellow driver asked to me give it a bit of a rev...was happy to oblige.

Soldato
Whenever I read about people having it ''mapped in" there are equally stories of exhaust valves burning out.

A local guy with an Astra VXR has a youtube channel so I keep an eye on it for a laugh. He had his car mapped and the resulting noises were absurd. About 6 weeks later he posts a video saying that he'd snapped a rod and had to rebuilt the engine. The car wasn't even running at the time, it was being turned over on the starter motor. The comments section was full of people asking him if he knew that cause or was it just "one of those things?"

He said it was caused by stress on the rod from turning the engine over on the starter :o Nothing to do with the god awful map then!

Soldato
Crap map+crap engine. Aren't the XVRs known for this? :p

Since the pops from these maps come from combusting fuel, it be doing unseen damage to things. Like the cat.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have some local pleb in an old focus with some system that sounds like fireworks, and it's usually after 9PM too. Ridiculous

Saying that I do love a nice exhaust sound, unfortunately modern cars are too quiet due to regulations and soundproofing.

Soldato
I personally hate these. Don't understand the point...wrecks your Cat and sounds rubbish. I like a burble on overrun but the artificial pops and bangs are awful!

Soldato
My xfr had an aftermarket exhaust when I bought it. It does pop occasionally when I let off the throttle, nowhere near as bad as that R8 a few pages ago. It only happens when in sport mode though. I kind of like it although I don't allow it to pop when driving through busy areas, so crass and un-jaaaaag like :)

Associate
All these new cars with turbos specially M ones sound like a junk, I watch afew youtuber channels (LLF one example) who have them and they just sound crap, specially with the "chav" (imo) Armytrix exhaust, then to make it worse because its not loud enough already they get them mapped to add more overfarting/cracking/yob craptastic noise. Even in quiet mode they sound horrid.

Associate
I'd rather hear engine over exhaust. Feels like modern cars have excessively silly/artificial sounding muffled and louder exhausts with pops and bangs in order to compensate for the muted turbocharged engines all in the supposed name of being sporty. Is this is the second chapter of the 'M Sport/AMG sport/S-Line' trim fad?

Shame.

Yep along with all the fake exhaust trims.....

Man of Honour
All these new cars with turbos specially M ones sound like a junk, I watch afew youtuber channels (LLF one example) who have them and they just sound crap, specially with the "chav" (imo) Armytrix exhaust, then to make it worse because its not loud enough already they get them mapped to add more overfarting/cracking/yob craptastic noise. Even in quiet mode they sound horrid.

Blame BMW themselves, the x35i and M cars all have them from the factory now

Man of Honour
C43 in comfort and the exhaust button left off, very subtle but pleasant exhaust note

Floor it in Sport Plus and the exhaust button pressed, it does give an almighty cracking sound on gear changes and does burble or pop and bang a fair bit on the overrun, but it’s not OTT like it is on some poor aftermarket exhausts. I get a fair few positive comments about the noise but I do totally understand if people don’t like it.

To give an idea. I’m on an empty industrial estate before anyone calls me a child killer :p

Last edited:
Soldato
My 2.0 turbo Astra has a 3" exhaust system, gives off a few small pops at low speeds but nothing much. If I let off the throttle at high revs after being flat out, it will pop loudly, usually accompanied by flames. Yeah it's probably chavvy as hell, but it leaves me with a big grin on my face.

Caporegime
For anybody unsure of what the OP is on about. This is what he means

https://youtu.be/-SAhBCcZhZM?t=661

I think jaguar was the first OEM to do this stock with the F type. It went down well and now everybody is programming their tunes to just dump fuel into the exhaust on overrun to make pops and bangs.

Cars have naturally been making the odd pop and bang on overrun for years. that's not new. That's just a by product of what happens when you let off throttle. What is new is deliberately mapping the ECU to dump extra fuel on overrun to deliberately make it do it, and lots.

Caporegime
For anybody unsure of what the OP is on about. This is what he means

https://youtu.be/-SAhBCcZhZM?t=661

I think jaguar was the first OEM to do this stock with the F type. It went down well and now everybody is programming their tunes to just dump fuel into the exhaust on overrun to make pops and bangs.

Cars have naturally been making the odd pop and bang on overrun for years. that's not new. That's just a by product of what happens when you let off throttle. What is new is deliberately mapping the ECU to dump extra fuel on overrun to deliberately make it do it, and lots.

Sounds borked. Awful noise.

Soldato
I hate those plastic ones German manufacturers now think are cool. In the light you can quite clearly see the cheap exhaust tip behind it (often just one and the other side has nothing at all).

What’s the issue with fake exhaust trim? You can’t “clearly” see that the exhaust tips aren’t connected, it’s actually quite difficult unless you are looking for it.

Makes for easier assembly/alignment for the manufacturer and significantly less expensive in the event of a rear shunt.

You’re still getting a complete exhaust system...

Can’t see the big deal imo.

Now the ridiculously oversized exhausts many Subaru owners feel the need to have, that’s a problem because it both looks crap and creates an awful racket.

Caporegime
What’s the issue with fake exhaust trim? You can’t “clearly” see that the exhaust tips aren’t connected, it’s actually quite difficult unless you are looking for it.

Makes for easier assembly/alignment for the manufacturer and significantly less expensive in the event of a rear shunt.

You’re still getting a complete exhaust system...

Can’t see the big deal imo.

Now the ridiculously oversized exhausts many Subaru owners feel the need to have, that’s a problem because it both looks crap and creates an awful racket.

I can spot them a mile away, as can anyone else I'd suspect. How do they make a shunt less expensive? They don't stop halfway down the car, they run all the way to the bumper, so if you're getting bummed, you're getting bummed.

Back
Top Bottom