Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut Thermal Pads.

Associate
On paper they look good. Didn't Linus do a test of something like that a while back and iirc found they performed nearly but not quite as good as high quality paste.

Iirc for the pad he spoke about had a high conductivity value which was in the horizontal plane (i.e. across the surface touching the lid of the CPU/ heatsink ) and the vertical conductivity was less (i.e. the transfer vertical from CPU through pad upwards into the heatsink.

Id be interested in one, I think it's a good idea.

Associate
I'm quite excited about this product. Looks like this carbonaut thermal pad can be reused again and again. Hopefully this means I can say goodbye to thermal paste.

Looking forward to seeing more test results from different sources.

Soldato
OP
Yeah i found the Linus video on this and he seemed pretty positive about it. i might give one a try when they become available to buy.

Soldato
I'm quite excited about this product. Looks like this carbonaut thermal pad can be reused again and again. Hopefully this means I can say goodbye to thermal paste.

Looking forward to seeing more test results from different sources.
From what I've seen they can be used forever in-situ, but they're not very strong and will break if handled too much. Also handling will probably contaminate their surfaces with dirt if done too often.

Associate
I've been thinking about it for my laptop, (alienware 15 r3) which suffers from a poor heatsink bracket design where over time it seems to deteriorate in terms of cooling ability ... last time my paste seemed to have dried out a lot. A thermal pad may be worth a shot in its place instead for a try-out.

Soldato
I've been thinking about it for my laptop, (alienware 15 r3) which suffers from a poor heatsink bracket design where over time it seems to deteriorate in terms of cooling ability ... last time my paste seemed to have dried out a lot. A thermal pad may be worth a shot in its place instead for a try-out.
Hmm if you have 3-5° to spare it might be a good solution. Sadly with gaming laptops being hot beasties I'd be inclined to chalk it up to regular maintenance and repaste as necessary. Depends though, are you talking 3 months or a year?

Associate
It’s probably got the headroom for a few degrees. At load it’s about 85deg. When the paste/contact was poor it punched past 100.

The deterioration last time was over about 12 months. I don’t really use the laptop to it’s potential these days, so I rarely stress it fully for long periods.

Soldato
They are great for people testing lots of CPUs, mobos, coolers etc which means they dont have to reapply paste all the time

Used to remove similar from enterprise hardware years a go so they have been around since hardware was made. Maybe not as sophisticated and sometimes used in conjunction with paste but consistency or repeat-ability during testing must also be a positive for these.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have recently installed one of these thermal pads on my 9900k and am using a Eisbaer LT360 AIO to cool it.

Currently idling at 28c with with fans on quiet mode @842rpm and stress testing ups cpu temps to 62c with fans ramping up to 1497rpm.

If this thing lasts i so no reason to go back to using thermal paste for the sake off a few degrees here and there.

Back
Top Bottom