Spec me a CCTV System

Caporegime
I’m wanting 4 all the way around the house! What would you recommend the battery ones please

i think netgear arlo 2 is rechargeable. so you just dock it in when it needs charging.

the best systems are all hard wired in. that is the case for anything tbh. the best is always using a wire. headphones, charging a phone, speaker systems. wired is always better.

i understand the appeal of wireless but it's also why i haven't set up a proper system yet. i bought 4 YI cameras for £20-£30 each. they do the job but ideally i want something like NEST IQ all around.

Associate
Hi all!

Getting confused with all systems going through the thread :D

Now that we moved into our property I'd like to start building a security and server / network storage system.

I am after 3-4 cameras which I would like to hard wire, preferably with means of POE, into the loft and possibly into a switch. As far as I understand I also will require NVR.

What is currently "best" out there? Not talking stupidly expensive cameras just latest better technology.
If I am gonna go through hassle of setting this all up and hard wiring might as well get good equipment, right?:rolleyes:

I'd like to be able to check cameras remotly also, if possible.

I was looking at Ubiquity equipment, including their cameras, switch and NVR. While I like the look of their equipment it hasn't got many reviews (watched TechFlow video on this) so I might end up with just a switch from them.

Any advice will be appreciated!
Thanks.

Soldato
For anyone on the smart front, following a recent attempted break in I was forced to up security ASAP.

Went for a Nest IQ Outdoor and grabbed it for £230, very happy so far and the quality is superb during day and night!

Not having to worry about running cables to NVR and fiddling was a good plus point.

Soldato
For anyone on the smart front, following a recent attempted break in I was forced to up security ASAP.

Went for a Nest IQ Outdoor and grabbed it for £230, very happy so far and the quality is superb during day and night!

Not having to worry about running cables to NVR and fiddling was a good plus point.

Im still tempted to try a few nest products, i just like the idea of the motion sensing with notifications. So handy around the cars and door area but somebody on here said not to bother. Thing is i would end up spending around £1100 plus VAT (reclaim). I already have eve cameras x 8 (HIK) just want the notifications

Soldato
I think if you want more than one or two cams, definitely smart would be cost prohibitive.

For the WiFi argument, well a UPS on virgin router and something like a draytek router could offer power resilience with also 4g fallback in event of internet outage so it's not all doom and gloom.

If someone rocks up with with snips for my internet line and a cellular jammer, good job sir you may Rob my home for your efforts.

Given I'm not an international firearms or drug dealer... I'm pretty sure a few smart cams will do the job well without over complicating the situation.

Caporegime

did you install it yourself?

V F

V F

Soldato
Hi all!

Getting confused with all systems going through the thread :D

Now that we moved into our property I'd like to start building a security and server / network storage system.

I am after 3-4 cameras which I would like to hard wire, preferably with means of POE, into the loft and possibly into a switch. As far as I understand I also will require NVR.

What is currently "best" out there? Not talking stupidly expensive cameras just latest better technology.
If I am gonna go through hassle of setting this all up and hard wiring might as well get good equipment, right?:rolleyes:

I'd like to be able to check cameras remotly also, if possible.

I was looking at Ubiquity equipment, including their cameras, switch and NVR. While I like the look of their equipment it hasn't got many reviews (watched TechFlow video on this) so I might end up with just a switch from them.

Any advice will be appreciated!
Thanks.

Pretty much. I despise having everything wireless with the possibility of complications.

There was a nice kit I saw for £799, 8 cameras, POE, microphones in each camera, resolution was just under 4K 5MP, heat/motion detection and PTZ? Cameras are white which would have blended in nicely with the PVC around the roof. Was really tempted but decided to settle on an 8 camera Sansco 1080p 2MP BNC kit. Maybe the next upgrade I'll go for something like that.

I orginally had a Swann 4 camera wired SD kit from 2008.

Associate
Pretty much. I despise having everything wireless with the possibility of complications.

There was a nice kit I saw for £799, 8 cameras, POE, microphones in each camera, resolution was just under 4K 5MP, heat/motion detection and PTZ? Cameras are white which would have blended in nicely with the PVC around the roof. Was really tempted but decided to settle on an 8 camera Sansco 1080p 2MP BNC kit. Maybe the next upgrade I'll go for something like that.

I orginally had a Swann 4 camera wired SD kit from 2008.
What was the kit? Not a bad price seems it.

Soldato
Im still tempted to try a few nest products, i just like the idea of the motion sensing with notifications. So handy around the cars and door area but somebody on here said not to bother. Thing is i would end up spending around £1100 plus VAT (reclaim). I already have eve cameras x 8 (HIK) just want the notifications

In our world of cctv, Nest products etc are a thumbs down. Already issues surrounding security. Wireless cameras are strictly not an option. Use Ubiquiti ptp equipment if you need to send a video feed wirelessly. Anyone going down a cctv route should stick to Hikvision or the better Dahua. Both do all the notifications you need and the Hik 4.0 cams will have bonus features. Bang for buck the best around.

If you want to mix Hik and Dahua and retain the smart features, you want a cheap computer running BlueIris.

The Hik 4K Darkfighter low level light turrets were released the other week so hopefully I can get some delivered from my supplier. Waited ages for their release as I refuse to install any of the Hik 2355’s or 2385 turrets. Rubbish at night.

V F

V F

Soldato
Prone to IR reflection which make them crap at night. Also issue with condensation. Turrets have a lot less hassle with cobwebs and no issue with IR reflection.

Hmm... I haven't seen the IR reflection at night or condensation problems. They're mounted and fairly sheltered below the pvc plastic of the house.

Caporegime
Yeah, it's silly to install... As it has a plug no real electrics needed although would be fine doing that too.

10mm bit with an SDS through front of house into garage.

how long is the lead? plus the hassle of having wires trailing to a socket would be a hassle even if i trunked them or stuck them into corners or along edges i already have loads of other stuff there due to 5.1 surround sound. the majority of my sockets are already utilised to the maximum as it is.

I have 8 sockets in the living room (2 of them don't work I've had 2 different people look at them and they said it would be a hassle to fix and not worth it for me). the other 6 i have homeplug and router into 1, sky q box, alexa and a htpc into the 2nd, smart plug and subwoofer into 3rd, AVR into 4th, TV and LED lights into 5th and an indoor cam into the 6th.

so i would need more sockets installing or buying more extension leads but ideally if i could get those 2 sockets working it would be great but nobody knows how the original house was wired so don't know where the wire is being fed from.

I reckon the easiest way for me to DIY would be POE cameras. I could easily get ethernet cable outside through the attic. use silicone to seal the holes once the cable is through and in place. attach cameras to walls on a ladder and then glue the cable to the corners of the house.

i would then need power sockets in the attic but the wiring would be much easier to do and not need to be as tidy and i could bung everything into a corner.

Caporegime
@Psycho Sonny it's easy. It just takes time and preparation.

it's just the issue of sockets for me. i would need more sockets either in the home or in the attic or ideally both. plus fix the existing socket which isn't working.

i have set up CCTv before but it was all internal so no drilling needed no issues with sockets used a POE switch to a PC then eventually upgraded to an NVR and sold the PC and POE switch.

NVR just works all the time and easier to navigate.

Back
Top Bottom