• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7-9700k or i9-9900k?

Associate
Is it worth buying the i9-9900k over the i7-9700k?

What are the pro's and con's?
For example I don't want to buy the i9 if it's having teething problems are is simply no better than the i7.

Associate
OP
Not much in it...might aswell go 9900k unless you can wait for Ryzen 3700x

I had a 9900k ran it 5ghz all cores...make sure you get a decent AIO :)

It’s a great chip but expensive...

Okay thanks. I was just a bit worried there might be some problems with the i9 with it being relatively new, and also the extra heat thing . I swapped over from AMD years back. I don't really want to go back to it. I found the intel - Nvidia formula worked much better.

Soldato
Okay thanks. I was just a bit worried there might be some problems with the i9 with it being relatively new, and also the extra heat thing . I swapped over from AMD years back. I don't really want to go back to it. I found the intel - Nvidia formula worked much better.
Even if you prefer Intel (and Nvidia) it would make sense to wait for Ryzen 3000 if you can as it will (likely) drive down the price of the 9900k.

Soldato
£40 and is sort of future proof. I was leaning towards the i9 anyway but thought I would make sure I wasn't missing something.

if you can get it at a good price !

OCUK doing 9700k for £350!

£460 is cheapest i can see 9900k .. can that £100 get a better component else where ?

know you were a fan of Gigabyte/Aorus boards.. X570 aorus wont disappoint if you do plan to wait ;)

Soldato
£40 and is sort of future proof. I was leaning towards the i9 anyway but thought I would make sure I wasn't missing something.
It really isn't enough for future proofing, when 12 cores/24 threads can well be fair £300 level in June.
In CES AMD demoed "apples to apples" 8 core Zen2 engineering sample matching 9900K's processing power at ~50W lower power consumption.
And with hint to pushing forward in cores and processing power per price 8c/16t likely becomes £200+ level.
For 9900K's price AMD can well release 16c/32t monster.

Instead of giving proper advance in cores/threads per price from earlier decade leve, Intel has been pumping butt's of consumers... err prices upwards.
Thanks to that greedyness next gen consoles will likely catch average gaming PC in CPU power available for games.

Soldato
The i7 is the high end CPU that will suit most needs. The i9 is for enthusiasts who want to endulge in the creme de la creme. Surely it comes down to your personal finances and whether or not you're a casual gamer or an enthusiast. Only you can answer that.

Edit, just noticed the discussion has moved onto Ryzen CPUs which would be my own preference. Ryzen is due to land on 7/7 I believe but current gen Ryzen are dropping in price all the time.

Soldato
So there could be a price reduction when the new Ryzen is on sale. When roughly will that be?
Model line up is likely announced in start of Computex.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14160/amd-ceo-dr-lisa-su-to-deliver-computex-2019-lead-keynote.
Also AMD's 50 year anniversary is in two weeks and they might tell some data in there.

But don't expect price cuts from Intel until people actually stop paying Intel for getting screwed to butt.
In earlier decade we got high end model for £300 and it was sure to stay good for many years.
Now people have been paying continuously higher prices for something with shorter stay in high end.

Associate
OP
Seems we have for's on both CPU's. As I said I was enquiring to se if there was any problems with the i9, but there doesn't seem to be any except for it running hotter than most.
My intention was to build a top end computer, thus the i9. There again the i7 should be more than sufficient. I'm going to sleep on it. :)

What's 'portsmash'?

Soldato
Seems we have for's on both CPU's. As I said I was enquiring to se if there was any problems with the i9, but there doesn't seem to be any except for it running hotter than most.
My intention was to build a top end computer, thus the i9. There again the i7 should be more than sufficient. I'm going to sleep on it. :)

What's 'portsmash'?

Portsmash is a one of a string of CPU vulnerabilities found lately. The one I linked in the post above yours, Spoiler, is 'baked in' to the architecture at silicon level and can't be fixed. Those expensive shiny new Core i3/i5/i7/i9 are all wide open to it and there's not a thing you can do to stop it being exploited. Except buy an AMD processor instead. Again, I say this as someone with an i7 8700k rig, I'm not fanboying but this is indeed a serious issue.

Associate
These CPU vulnerabilities are generally only reproducing under very controlled conditions and scenarios. Yes they're there, but they're next to impossible to exploit on a regular chaotic system. I really wouldn't get too hung up about it.

Associate
These CPU vulnerabilities are generally only reproducing under very controlled conditions and scenarios. Yes they're there, but they're next to impossible to exploit on a regular chaotic system. I really wouldn't get too hung up about it.

That´s a bit like buying a really expensive car from a dealer, then finding that the doors don´t lock properly and the dealer saying "ah don´t worry about that, you´ll be alright"

Back
Top Bottom