• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PREPARE YOUR WALLETS: ASUS ROG MATRIX 2080Ti LANDS THIS WEEK!!

Associate
Didnt actually know it how an enclosed water cooling loop. So ill take some of the hate back. But its still £400 too expensive (if you accept a RTX is a £1000 card). Even the INNO3D has proper AIO and is £1,400. Dam that ASUS tax. Alternatively buy a regular RTX2080ti for £950 (jesus stonking good price!!!) and get a full custom loop for less that will do much better and more reliable that this gimmick.

Last edited:
Soldato
TBH, anybody saving up or putting a card like this on credit is mental.

Fine if you have the money, it's fun, I prefer to waste my money on car parts, each to their own!

But I've been addicted to the remastered Bioshock on XBone recently, I honestly don't see the need for shinier and more realistic, just make games fun.

Jesus, we used to make games last weeks/months on the Spectrum/Acorn/BBC/C64 just because they were great games.

Soldato
TBH, anybody saving up or putting a card like this on credit is mental.

Fine if you have the money, it's fun, I prefer to waste my money on car parts, each to their own!

But I've been addicted to the remastered Bioshock on XBone recently, I honestly don't see the need for shinier and more realistic, just make games fun.

Jesus, we used to make games last weeks/months on the Spectrum/Acorn/BBC/C64 just because they were great games.

Quite.

It makes me sad that £950 is a ‘stonking good deal’ for the top-end consumer card these days. It’s the trend though; more and more components are getting more extreme versions that cost a bomb. Mobos, monitors, peripherals etc.

Still, makes you think when I spent about the cost of a 2080ti to build the entire system in my sig. I’m definitely becoming a tight arse in old age :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Quite.

It makes me sad that £950 is a ‘stonking good deal’ for the top-end consumer card these days. It’s the trend though; more and more components are getting more extreme versions that cost a bomb. Mobos, monitors, peripherals etc.

Still, makes you think when I spent about the cost of a 2080ti to build the entire system in my sig. I’m definitely becoming a tight arse in old age :p

Rgb everywhere makes the hardware faster

Associate
Quite.

Just incase u weren't aware I was been sarcastic :). Don't want you thinking I really believed £950 was a good deal. But u maybe carrying on the joke that people will see £950 as a good deal. Mental!

Make it £700 with high overclock & decent cooler & ll be bite as I skipped the 10 series & want an upgrade. As this is unlikely anytime soon I'll stick with me trusty 980ti.

Anyhoo, it's summer now. Why stay inside x

Soldato
When I saw thread title, I was thinking wallet ain't the only thing that people have to prepare, they would have to prepare their "ASUS" with the 1st "S" replace with a "N" :D

Last edited:
The whole point of being a PC enthusiast imho is to find the products at very good value price points that you can push the furtherest out of spec for big gains with just some minor or major modification.
That's why so many of us are struggling with the 2080ti's as there is no value to be had price wise, and OC headroom is power limited unless you go with a custom PCB design (once again big £££).

So they really don't make sense unless you are in the top tier of high end enthusiasts, where price is of absolutely no concern.

Man of Honour
It used to be.

Now it's whoever spends the most is the "enthusiast", money has become the measure of enthusiasm these days

I don't agree.

If you look at the owners threads the ones with that are the most busy are the AMD ones where as the NVidia ones tend to be much quieter.

Enthusiasts tend to do stuff with their cards and talk and help each other, you find this a lot on the AMD threads.

I also find that PC gaming enthusiasts prioritise gameplay rather than wanting the latest game with every ultra setting selected. It is very rare I play any of the latest games as the gameplay is often dreadful.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I don't agree.

If you look at the owners threads the ones with that are the most busy are the AMD ones where as the NVidia ones tend to be much quieter.

Enthusiasts tend to do stuff with their cards and talk and help each other, you find this a lot on the AMD threads.

I also find that PC gaming enthusiasts prioritise gameplay rather than wanting the latest game with every ultra setting selected. It is very rare I play any of the latest games as the gameplay is often dreadful.

I meant around here, I've seen it where the amount you spend seems to determine whether you are classed "enthusiast" or not. I know it shouldn't be that way, and I totally agree with what you are saying regarding what you think an enthusiast is.

To me it has always been those who get lower end parts to match or equal much pricier and higher performing parts at a fraction of the cost.

Buying the fastest, most expensive parts isn't an enthusiast to me, that's boring, but it seems to be synonymous with being branded an "enthusiast" these days

Soldato
I certainly consider myself an enthusiast. I built almost my entire system from recycling old components (some drives, Hx800i etc), and the MM, over months of waiting and bidding on the right bits. For the performance / components I got, I spent very little. I’d have to check my spreadsheet (yes I’m that sad) but iirc I saved over £2k vs buying new.

I don’t think enthusiast means spending the most money, and I don’t find these forums at all e-peen motivated. I do think that people are spending way, way more than they used to on components, and it’s encourage vendors and manufacturers to reall take the mick on pricing.

That really was the motivation for my build; build the best machine possible for the best price, and avoid giving my money to companies over charging for kit that should be half the price.

Innovation costs more money, but £1,700 for a variant of the successor to the 1080ti is pure madness. ‘Enthusiast’ isn’t the word I’d use to describe people clamouring to pre-order the RTX2080ti or 2080, especially their more exotic variants.

Associate
I do like the strategy of 'keep upping the price' there's clearly a profit algorithm dictating the shameless greed of all involved with the 2080ti.
Nvidia, Intel etc are businesses as was Standard Oil, JP Morgan etc and they have a 'right' or 'duty' to make money but I'm going to do everything I can to keep PC gaming while avoiding spending anything with these companies who are destroying my recreation through shameless profiteering and failing to support or do the decent thing for millions in their loyal fan base. AMD all the way!

Soldato
I certainly consider myself an enthusiast. I built almost my entire system from recycling old components (some drives, Hx800i etc), and the MM, over months of waiting and bidding on the right bits. For the performance / components I got, I spent very little. I’d have to check my spreadsheet (yes I’m that sad) but iirc I saved over £2k vs buying new.

I don’t think enthusiast means spending the most money, and I don’t find these forums at all e-peen motivated. I do think that people are spending way, way more than they used to on components, and it’s encourage vendors and manufacturers to reall take the mick on pricing.

That really was the motivation for my build; build the best machine possible for the best price, and avoid giving my money to companies over charging for kit that should be half the price.

Innovation costs more money, but £1,700 for a variant of the successor to the 1080ti is pure madness. ‘Enthusiast’ isn’t the word I’d use to describe people clamouring to pre-order the RTX2080ti or 2080, especially their more exotic variants.

Well put.

Although I have a 1080ti I feel from a CPU pov I might forget intel exists and just go AMD. And maybe a new GPU from them in 2 years time.

Pc performance is still way beyond console even without buying the fastest.

Soldato
Well put.

Although I have a 1080ti I feel from a CPU pov I might forget intel exists and just go AMD. And maybe a new GPU from them in 2 years time.

Pc performance is still way beyond console even without buying the fastest.

This is why I don’t get peoples’ “I’ll just get a PS4” mindset. As you say, there’s plenty of better hardware out there not inhabiting first place on the performance charts. Second hand can net serious results too; my 1080 cost £330 and overclocks well (creeps up to 2240, never goes below my sig numbers).

If you have a very old rig, the PS5 does seem like it could be a viable alternative, judging by the little information we have. My consoles lay dormant and dusty though; I still love everything about the experience of buying, building, owning and using a PC, especially a watercooled one.

My next CPU will definitely be Ryzen, unless the market changes drastically. Hopefully by then the AI that utilises threads properly will be finished, or designers will start making proper use of parallel computing. Imo the 8700K is still a very capable chip, so I’m crossing my fingers I won’t be upgrading for a long while.

As for GPUs, the market is way too bonkers for me at present. I’ll just keep playing slightly older titles, and buying slightly older GPUs to overclock as hard as they’ll go. If Intel shakes things up, or AMD offers a viable alternative, I’ll happily give up g-sync and support their efforts by buying one (or go back to multi-gpu, if there’s ever a revival).

If you look at the most popular games today (barring PUBG) they tend to play very well, and still look good, on modest hardware. The reason being designers will build their games for the lowest common denominator, and due to Nvidia chokes the life out of the market, that bottom line won’t be climbing until something changes. That’s why I’m praying Navi will be very, very successful. At the moment, everyone loses, even people who’ll happily drop £1k+ on a GPU. It’s frustrating for me that’s people don’t see that.

I couldn’t justify the financial or moral cost of buying the current top-tier offerings. The fact that any enthusiast could just shows how good a job they’ve done of convincing buyers of their (sorely lacking) value. As I’ve said, with a market like this, no one wins.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know why people are complaining that a GPU designed for rich people is too expensive. Just get a Vega 56 or whatever.

People have been threatening to give up pc gaming because they can't afford the absolute best. It sounds like the result of a spoilt upbringing.

Navi will be out soon and I personally will be very happy with Vega 56 performance for less than £200.

Last edited:
Soldato
Most people who would want a vega 56/1070 already have one. That would explain the amount of verbal chatter about prices - people at the lower end/mid feel like they can’t upgrade. Someone who owns a gtx 1000 series or vega series at this point is either saving up for or has giving up upgrading anytime soon due to not wanting to pay more than they paid last time.

The upgrade path is really good for people on a gtx 700 or gtx 900 series or rx 400 series though they are a minority by the sound of it.

The counter discussion to all this price chat is why do we even need to upgrade? We’re still on the same console generation since 2013, most games run very well at 1080p even on old gpus.

Back
Top Bottom