Help me do some bangernomics! Updated with purchase!

Soldato
Please!

I'm changing jobs and not in a position to buy anything expensive outright. What I want is something that will last me 6 months to the end of my probation and hopefully longer before I tie myself into finance. I want to get something for under £1k, insurance will be in my wife's name to build NCB for her we will share driving but she will drive our other car. Insurance quotes come out similar for loads of different cars so I'm not overly fussed on that.

I've come from a company car so obv get back the BIK tax etc.

Looking for something cheap, petrol and preferably not tiny. Not interested in Ka, C1 etc. I'd like something interesting but something that won't fall apart. Also a slightly lower level of tax if possible.

Also want it to be MOTd for longer than 6 months.

Ideas welcome :)

Bat

Bat

Associate
eBay filter by nearest first. Set a max price and try searching 12 months MOT or 11 months MOT etc. That's what I do.

I've had great success doing this by sticking to private sellers with excellent feedback.

Soldato
OP
What sort of driving are you going to be doing? And how much mileage?

It's mostly motorway/dual carriageway but only 15 miles each way. And it's unlikely to be full speed due to traffic so diesel doesn't make much sense. Car needs to be relatively comfortable but not entirely sensible.

Soldato
OP
eBay filter by nearest first. Set a max price and try searching 12 months MOT or 11 months MOT etc. That's what I do.

I've had great success doing this by sticking to private sellers with excellent feedback.

Tbh I forgot about eBay will have a look thanks.

Soldato
OP
Don
If I was going to trust any higher mileage engine, Honda would be a safer bet.

Corrosion is just age related - likely just minor surface rust. Quick wire brush and some underseal paint and be fine for the rest of the cars useful life.

With any "cheap" car, better to by on condition rather than age or mileage. A 90k mile car that's tatty inside and got scrapes etc on the outside is likely a worse buy than a 140k but looked after example.

Soldato
OP
Ok thanks for the info @Armageus I may investigate the Honda. I'm happy with high mileage if looked after as I know how well my 16 plate Passat with 75k on is looked after.

Suspended
That Honda is ridiculous for that kind of money. You could drive it for a year and throw it in the bin at that price.

Or do an @Acme and spend £5k on doing it up and 2 years trying to decide on a colour.

Back
Top Bottom