City of Heroes

Soldato
I bloody knew this had been going on!! Pretty sad it wasn't leaked as soon as NCSoft said no way to selling on the IP. However, moving on from the past:

https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/18/...its-code-to-the-world-but-not-the-characters/

Looking forward to playing again while I wait for Ship of Heroes to release!!

EDIT: Public TEST server is LIVE.

GO. HUNT. KILL SKULS!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofhero...uide_for_preparing_to_join_the_public_server/

(Log in with LOGIN button after registering, even if there is an error, not form)

Discord: https://discord.gg/rPvHX26

EDIT2: OFFLINE for now.

EDIT3: It's ALIVE!

EDIT4: TWO Public Servers now - this is here to stay methinks. Also double XP weekend coming up by the looks of it!

Last edited:
Soldato
I actually owned 3 hard copies of this but never actually played it. The recent news of it has got me quite interested. Might have to have a look if someone manages to get a server up.

Man of Honour
I can't even describe my reaction to reading that. So hope a fully functioning private server becomes available.

Soldato
Think I've still got my boxed copies sitting around somewhere.

I remember having a fantasic Robotic/Dark Mastermind, his name was "Death Machine" or "Machine Death". I was never any good at designing my heroes/villians, but dear lord I hit the nail on the head with his guy.
He looked like a corpse that had been reanimated by machinery, and I kept that theme with his minion names, the little guys were called things like "Wired Soul A-31". Can't remember what the bubble bots were called, but the big Assualt Bot was called "Digital Wraith".

Guy was a joy to play, made it even better when people commented on my costume. It feeled me with pride.

I eventually gave my account to my little cousin.
I went round 1 day to his house and he wanted to show me all his new characters. I also saw that he had "redesigned" all my old characters.

I nearly wept, Death Machine looked like he'd been in a neon pain factory explosion.

Soldato
I used to really love this game :D

I felt they made it more complicated than it needed to be in the end - But it was great while it lasted :D

Man of Honour

I believe this is a fairly "lite" version of the game though still at this stage? a bit more fleshed out version of the Paragon Chat thing.

EDIT: Hope they release a downloadable private server though could be difficult to obtain with the legal side of it - as I'd rather run my own so I won't be at the mercy of anyone else when it comes to character persistence, etc.

Man of Honour
Predictably the servers are super busy and you can't even get past character creation at the moment :(

Hahah I've never even heard of it, had to google it.

Some aspects might feel a bit dated compared to newer games though the last patch did a massive overhaul of the graphics engine and around 10-20% of the game assets but I'd love to be able to play it all over again from new again!

Man of Honour
I got to play for a few moments before the servers melted for the 100th time:

Didn't have my binds setup or anything first time playing in years heh but it was emotional.

Associate
Wow! Just sent my mate that link. We used to play this every day! So, had a quick read, not sure how playable it would be, but anything is better than nothing! Lady McDeath and Miss Scotland could finally make their return!

Soldato
OP
I just had an hour sesh with part of it doing a sewer run - was brilliant fun - it's not aged too badly thanks to the graphics update! :)

Once you're out of Atlas Park it's pretty much impossible to get back right now due to a bug (CantFindMap) - the current status is "proof of concept" but they have made amazing progress in a few days!

I love how you don't need the holy trinity to make an effective team in this game. This is the only MMO I ever played and enjoyed - the community is great :)

Edit: Atlas bug is fixed.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I can't believe the number of people logged in right now it is insane and the servers struggling but still up at the moment.

I also find it funny the number of younger players some who might not even have been born when it came out that are blown away by the game despite being used to newer games.

Associate
I believe this is a fairly "lite" version of the game though still at this stage? a bit more fleshed out version of the Paragon Chat thing.

It is actually everything, except for the character DB, so it's the state the game was when it closed its doors 6years ago.

you can go in and play as you would have back in the day. quests/story archs and all powers etc.

Man of Honour
It is actually everything, except for the character DB, so it's the state the game was when it closed its doors 6years ago.

you can go in and play as you would have back in the day. quests/story archs and all powers etc.

Yeah when it was announced they said the mission files, etc. hadn't been included in the drop but the live build has most stuff working.

I'm at a funny place just now between wanting to play as much as I can while I have the chance versus getting too invested when it could all get shutdown within days :(

Man of Honour
Server is now up, the following changed to the server have been made. Overall server hardware has been upgraded. Atlas park player cap has been decreased from 400 to 300. Door missions inside Atlas/Mercy/Praetoria should work without the need for work arounds. Overall server stability should be improved.

This is currently running as a test server on the i25 build - apparently they are trying to get the i24 build (as per when the game was taken offline) up and running stable as the live server and then put some of the unofficial i25 release back in as and when they can get it stable enough for wider use.

Soldato
OP
Hitting 1700 players online now! Wow! Great pick up groups - like the old days! :)

Enjoying my scrappy scrapper (Human Flea) again!

Caporegime
I played this every day for years, it's where my forum name comes from, it was my global name on Defiant! I didn't play much towards the end, I think I got burnt out and I didn't take to the Pretorian stuff quite as well as the more normal stuff either. I'm not sure I want to go back and sully my memories tbh.

Back
Top Bottom