Best Controller for PC

Soldato
in your option which is the best games controller for the PC within a reasonable price and why ?

Xbox 360
Xbox one s
PS4
Steam

I have a 360 controller at the moment and looking to see if its worth getting one of the others, ive not really used any of the other ( maybe one off)

What I like at a glance
ps4 - controller because its a little smaller and has a built in battery.
xbox one - works with pc out of the box, same as the 360 but updated

what I dont like at a glance
xbox one - it seam bigger then the 360, its witless but you still need to buy a battery pack.
ps4 - ive not really used a ps controller in years so im not sure how fast I would switch, dont know how well it will work with PC.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been using a 360 controller for the last few years. Its served me very well so far, despite hundreds of hours of use. I prefer the feel of it to the XB1, which I did "upgrade" to briefly before it stopped working.

Soldato
Xbox one controller. Whilst both MS controllers ‘just work’ without having to faff around the ‘one’ version has better rumble effects, for example built into the triggers.

Associate
I suppose it's what you're used to, and people on both sides of the PS/XBox divide will argue their case. Historically the Xbox pads have been popular because of easy driver support but these days it's less of an issue. Personally I prefer the symmetrical layout of the Dual Shocks, so just use a DS3 from my PS3 plugged in via USB.

Soldato
Native support beats having to rely on DS4Windows. It's simply more convenient, less prone to problems, and controls display correctly in games which is nice.

But on the other hand, the PS4 controller's touch pad is handy for navigating Windows.

Not sure the battery pack is a major issue right now, as there's some cracking offers about on Xbox pads (see HUKD). Could easily buy an Xbox One controller and a battery pack for the price of a DS4.

Soldato
in your option which is the best games controller for the PC within a reasonable price and why ?

Xbox 360
Xbox one s
PS4
Steam
I have all four.
X360pad I used for 9 years. It is fantastic and reliable and still works, although the battery from play and charge kit lost lot of its power.

I bought Xbone controller with wireless adapter and play and charge kit couple weeks back. Liking it just as much, although that white light is annoying. Rumble triggers are interesting.

Dualshock 4 is perfectly fine. Play PS4 exclusives with it. It is not as good as xbonepad, but close.

Steam controller is something else entirely. I do not use it because I realized I do not actually play games that require it (like strategy games and stuff). But it would be great if I had a use for it.

Soldato
DS4 for fighting games if you don't want a stick/hitbox, 360/ONE for most other things IMO. Though I only use a DS4 as all I really play is Tekken so in other games DS4 is just more comfortable.

Associate
I have a 360 controller at the moment and looking to see if its worth getting one of the others, ive not really used any of the other ( maybe one off)
Wait until you need to upgrade and then get an Xbox one pad, or have a look at your options when the time comes. They're a nicer pad but not really worth £40 or whatever over the 360 pad.

They do work via USB cable too if you don't need it wireless.

Also for the size - fairly sure they're practically the same size but the Xbox one has a bulkier top section so looks a little larger. Nothing you'll really notice.

Soldato
xbox one controller.
the bluetooth is a bit crap tho. tried to play it wirelessly and from 3m away it was playing up but i just use a usb cable hidden in the room.
i think its definitely a step up from the 360 altho i do love the 360s fit in the hand.

if u have a ps4, there is an argument for just using that with PC instead as its nice to universally use one controller on every platform and its a nice one too. Has a few gimicks you might like or hate (like the sound for some games coming from the controller lol).

If i had to pick one just for PC use.. it'd be the xbox one just simply due to compataibility with games. by compataibility, i mean button prompts. i played DQXI and they didn't support the PS4 controller's buttons showing on prompts.. its a small inconvienance that the other one doesn't have to deal with, and given that the margins of difference between the two in the grand scheme of thins is nearly none, that swings it for me.

I still prefer my bluetooth mouse and keyboard for most things tho.

Associate
i personally use a ps4 controller. Most new cross platform games have compatibility for it off the bat so no messing with ds4. I also have an xbox one controller for those that dont but i prefer the ps4 controller.

Soldato
While they last, the Xbox controllers are fine.

I've had two 360 controllers break, both with the common stick drift problem, and one also with a dodgy left bumper.

I bought an Xbox One pad exclusively for use with the PC (the others had dual usage with an Xbox) that was supposedly stronger, only for that to develop the dreaded stick drift.

Luckily it happened within the warranty period.

While it was being replaced I used my PS4 pad with DS4Windows and it worked really well.

The build quality of the PS pad is excellent, it seems unbreakable compared to the MS pads.
Unhappily my replacement Xbox One is occasionally now showing stick drift again.

I won't bother replacing it, I'll just go back to the indestructible PS4 pad.

Soldato
OP
I was looking for a confrable option for kids, the xbox can be a little big in some hands.

Thanks for the replies, one of the main reasons I thought about upgrading is the wireless feature because I have on board Bluetooth but ive been told I still need to have a cable connected to use the controller.

Is this correct ?

Permabanned
I was looking for a confrable option for kids, the xbox can be a little big in some hands.

Thanks for the replies, one of the main reasons I thought about upgrading is the wireless feature because I have on board Bluetooth but ive been told I still need to have a cable connected to use the controller.

Is this correct ?
Not with a DS4, you can connect up to 4 via Bluetooth and DS4windows.

Back
Top Bottom