• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PREPARE YOUR WALLETS: ASUS ROG MATRIX 2080Ti LANDS THIS WEEK!!

Associate
GPU's have always been in this position regarding futureproofing, nearly all upgrades people make are completely unnecessary were just wasting even more money as the prices go up.

Soldato
Surely it's a good thing that everyone's GPU is futureproofed for another couple of years. No need to upgrade, how amazing is that? We've never had it so good.

Depends what you’re running. My card/system is great for 3440x1440 100Mhz+ at the moment, but I’m always a couple of years behind on the titles I play. At some point I’ll need to upgrade, and what are my choices? New it’s 2080 or 2080ti, both heinously overpriced, with the former offering what, 20-30% performance boost, and the latter offering the same over that. I couldn’t care less about RayTracing until the technology advances to a much better point.

I’ve gotten really into VR, and that’s where my real concerns lie with the GPU market. It needs a high frame rate to be playable, and titles are becoming much more demanding. The biggest drawback for me is resolution, and if I want to upgrade my headset, or play the awesome new titles on the horizon, I’ll have no choice but to upgrade my GPU. With pickings slim and pricing extortionate, I’ll be more likely to drop VR entirely that get milked by NV.

As I said though, I think we’ll see a 7nm re-release from NV farsooner than many think. It will probably offer better pricing and performance, deliver a slap to the face of early adopters, and a prove the deathblow to Navi. Imo NV are single handedly hamstringing visual improvement in gaming.

If Navi really can offer 1080/1080ti performance for £250, and people see the value, then it would be awesome (as will dramatically more powerful consoles). Leading to a much higher common denominator, and better fidelity for all.

Soldato
To be fair UW and VR are very niche products and when you bought into those you already knew you’d be spending a pretty penny on hardware upgrades in the future. It’s more the people using 1080p 60hz screens that are in a really sweet spot right now where even a rx570 is an excellent card.

Some people are expecting mainstream pricing to power their anything but mainstream high resolution monitors and VR headsets, it’s an oxymoron.

It’s like I’ve bought a Ferrari car with no engine and now I’m just waiting until someone sells me an affordable v12 engine to drop into the car

Last edited:
Soldato
To be fair UW and VR are very niche products and when you bought into those you already knew you’d be spending a pretty penny on hardware upgrades in the future. It’s more the people using 1080p 60hz screens that are in a really sweet spot right now where even a rx570 is an excellent card.

Some people are expecting mainstream pricing to power their anything but mainstream high resolution monitors and VR headsets, it’s an oxymoron.

It’s like I’ve bought a Ferrari car with no engine and now I’m just waiting until someone sells me an affordable v12 engine to drop into the car

I’m expecting a top tier product to not double in price, just because of a company’s greed and people’s willingnes to enable them.

Soldato

But things like VR won't be mainstream until mid range cards can run it well. Most people don't buy GPUs, they buy a complete PC because they don't know anything about IT. A 2080ti adds at least an extra grand to the price of a PC.

Nvidia with their silly pricing is really choking progress. People won't buy these cards, so developers won't make products to utilise them. That's why game graphics haven't really improved much for the best part of a decade.

Soldato
But things like VR won't be mainstream until mid range cards can run it well. Most people don't buy GPUs, they buy a complete PC because they don't know anything about IT. A 2080ti adds at least an extra grand to the price of a PC.

Nvidia with their silly pricing is really choking progress. People won't buy these cards, so developers won't make products to utilise them. That's why game graphics haven't really improved much for the best part of a decade.

Really well put mate, this what I was trying to convey.

The **80ti has always been the top tier consumer card, at around what? £500-£600? That’s what I expected, and was sullenly prepared to pay for when Turing launched. The 20 series in an exercise in determining just how far they can artificially inflate prices and still sell enough product.

Ultrawide and VR are the first things that have given me that ‘wow’ moment in gaming since I was a kid. We need things like this in the industry to become adopted, an ultrawide screen isn’t that much anymore, and for what you actually get VR has become pretty cheap. But if the hardware to run them even modestly is prohibitively expensive, then support for them will die.

As I said earlier in this or another thread, the most popular games right now will run perfectly fine on very modest hardware? Why? Because the majority of people cannot afford to upgrade their systems. If people can’t afford to upgrade, and developers need to produce produce a title that is accessible to as many people as possible, what we end up with is stagnation. No new adoption of technologies, no jump in fidelity.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't know why people are complaining that a GPU designed for rich people is too expensive

I don't think this is a card for rich people, I think it's a card for idiots. Rich people didn't get rich by spending £700 extra to get a shinier version of something. The argument that it's like a luxury car doesn't really fly - this doesn't do anything a FE doesn't.

Associate
I don't think this is a card for rich people, I think it's a card for idiots. Rich people didn't get rich by spending £700 extra to get a shinier version of something. The argument that it's like a luxury car doesn't really fly - this doesn't do anything a FE doesn't.
Its nearly £500 more than the Asus Strix 2080ti for maybe 1% performance increase which is mental

Associate
Its nearly £500 more than the Asus Strix 2080ti for maybe 1% performance increase which is mental

Well some plonkers must keep buying them if they can keep charging extortionate amounts. I'lll never understand how Asus got such a big following with hiked up prices on all their products.

Soldato
Well some plonkers must keep buying them if they can keep charging extortionate amounts. I'lll never understand how Asus got such a big following with hiked up prices on all their products.

People that are cash rich and time poor just buy the most expensive. Not always a good guide to quality and some companies have picked up on this and marketed products to those people.

I don't think the average consumer realises how much effort large companies putility into marketing. Notice how almost everything you buy is sold on how it will make you feel. Feelings not stats and performance sell things...epeen is real :)

Soldato
People that are cash rich and time poor just buy the most expensive. Not always a good guide to quality and some companies have picked up on this and marketed products to those people.

I don't think the average consumer realises how much effort large companies putility into marketing. Notice how almost everything you buy is sold on how it will make you feel. Feelings not stats and performance sell things...epeen is real :)

Of course feelings sell stuff, that’s why everyone now has RGB, who cares about performance each RGB lights add 5fps everyone knows this

Soldato
Drop the visual settings down a single notch and game on a lesser card. For people complaining about "amd have no decent high end cards," they haven't tried the Vega cards.
Amazing value for performance in the Vega cards. This whole "but I need the best fastest card for the visual levels I play at" garbage is nonsense. If you're immersed in a game, having a visual setting turned down one notch to get a solid level of FPS, is all that's needed and not even noticed when gaming.

Lots of these £1000+ cards are bought for epeen and that's it. Covering the epeen ego stuff with "I play at 4k 100mhz so I need a card that's the same price as a car" story is just that, a cover story, for epeen bragging.

If you can't get the 100mhz then drop a setting down a notch. Zero need to be feeding the Nvidia monster with a 1700 quid graphics card. ZERO.

Also, this " I buy them to test and play with high end hardware" YOURE STILL BUYING THE CARD, YOU'RE FEEDING THE MONSTER"

Quit complaining about price when you're still buying it on the excuse of wanting to test it.

Would it kill you to wait 2 months to buy the card after Nvidia decide "we've taken the P with this card, let's knock 400 quid off it as nobody is buying it" THEN buy it to play and test it.

Back
Top Bottom