Roundabout Rules?

Soldato
I probably should have checked the highway code in the first place, found this on the NI gov page. As close as an example I could find!

OL0xxUE.jpg
This is different to yours as it's a two lane exit, whereas yours is one. I'd vote option 2 therefore. If you read the blurb it also says you could've been in the right hand lane on approach, and thus sort of option 2 for yours.

Have you found a highway code guide for one like yours? Might be too specific though!

Soldato
It is 25 years since I passed but I always thought the rule of thumb was you can pass 1 exit only using the left lane unless the markings or signage indicated otherwise.

Soldato
There is enough space on the exit for both cars to merge into that exit. I'd expect either lane to be used unless markings say otherwise.

If there was less space on that exit, lane 2 should have been looking to merge into lane 1 beforehand.

I'd personally use lane 2.

Man of Honour
It is 25 years since I passed but I always thought the rule of thumb was you can pass 1 exit only using the left lane unless the markings or signage indicated otherwise.

Should be the way always IMO - there is a roudabout near where I used to live that both lanes on approach can be used to take the 3rd exit (on the right of the roundabout as you approach) but also the right hand lane can be used to go straight across into a 2 lane exit and you get so many people who go all the way around in the left lane cutting across people in the right lane going straight over.

Soldato
For me it's Lane 2.

In the absence of signs and markings and assuming single lane exits the rule I was taught was if it's greater than exit 2 OR past the 12 o clock from your entry position it's right lane.

So for me that roundabout is exit 1 and 2 left lane, exit 3 and 4 right lane.

There are a couple like this near me and you've just got to assume every car around you is going to use the lanes incorrectly and keep your blindspots covered.

Soldato
I'd say both lanes are acceptable, but the person in lane 2 is going to have to be more careful as they are going to have to go across another lane on the way out. It would be helpful if the lanes were actually marked.

Soldato
Another agreement on both lanes. Problem with a lot of roundabouts in this country is they're barely marked or badly marked. So it's no wonder people have a lot of problems on roundabouts.

Associate
left hand lane is supposed to be for left turn or straight on, right hand lane if you are going around the island to turn right

Soldato
My 2p:

1. Roundabout is bad design and local road planners should be shot in 9/10 cases. Sometimes i think they let school kids design our road layouts.

b) Either lane can be used but I would say the layout means most would consider that straight on and use lane 1. If using lane 2 its pretty clear that you risk being squeezed out when trying to exit crossing the lane.

3. I would probably use lane 1 here by default unless there was a big queue for lane 1 and i wasnt in a hanging about mood, then Id use lane 2 and try to barge through.

Soldato
Yep, some road design is shocking.

The council installed some mini roundabouts on my commute, they are so tight you physically can't fit a car around them, if you tried you would be up the curb. So everyone just has to drive over the top and pretend they don't exist.

Soldato
If there is a conclusion to be drawn from this thread, it's that we should really have clearer rules that we can all agree on or clear markings on every roundabout.

I still think lane 2 because even though people might consider that to be straight on you cant go more than 2 exits in the left lane unless otherwise indicated or the exits are dual carriageway.

Does seem like there are as many votes for option 1 as option 2 though.

Mexican stand off.

Soldato
My 2p:

1. Roundabout is bad design and local road planners should be shot in 9/10 cases. Sometimes i think they let school kids design our road layouts.

b) Either lane can be used but I would say the layout means most would consider that straight on and use lane 1. If using lane 2 its pretty clear that you risk being squeezed out when trying to exit crossing the lane.

3. I would probably use lane 1 here by default unless there was a big queue for lane 1 and i wasnt in a hanging about mood, then Id use lane 2 and try to barge through.

I'd agree on all points. Rightly or wrongly, id take lane 1 as it's straight on.

Associate
I agree that either lane should be ok. But... to leave the roundabout from the inner lane (for route 2) you're technically changing to the outer lane (and have to give way to traffic in that lane) and then leaving. So, in my mind - either is good, but cars in route 1 have right of way over route 2.

but... experience would make me on guard in either lane with no markings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom