debenhams goes into admin

Caporegime
The administrator took hold of the business not the creditors. It was then sold to the creditors for a cheapo price as they were deemed to be the most viable way forward for the business by the administrator.

Thats not a seizure by creditors, but more so a legal short cut way of acquiring control of 100% of the business whilst removing liabilities to other creditors.

You mean unsecured creditors who the company already likely couldn't afford to pay and would have lost their money regardless? It is called a pre-pack administration and that is part of the reason why it is allowed... that and the fact the business can keep some level of continuity, keep as many jobs as possible etc.. instead of simply being handed to administrators.

Caporegime
I’m not really sure what your point is here? This is the option the creditors wanted!

The business wasn’t exactly doing very well, they already stood to lose money, they were trying to pick the least bad option.

Soldato
OP
Its the option "some of the creditors" wanted, how many shareholders wanted it? or staff?

If you dont get it after this many posts I think we best to call it a day on the discussion. My view wont change on the abuse of the administration process. This to me was abuse as it was "not" a "last resort". You talk as if only these creditors money mattered, and as if they were going to lose all of what they lent to the company if it ashley became ceo, how many of ashleys's shops have gone bust?

Caporegime
The staff in a position to make a decision went along with it too and rejected Ashley’s plan.

The shareholders don’t have priority here, you don’t necessarily get to make money from a company that already can’t pay its debts! That’s just how it works.

Yes I don’t get your POV, it is quite muddled you’ve not explained why this was an abuse of the administration process.

Soldato
I think he's asking why they weren't forced to take Ashley's offer when it came with the ceveat of a £200m cash injection, as this would have saved the company from going into administration? (I am not versed in the law here)

Commissario
I think he's asking why they weren't forced to take Ashley's offer when it came with the ceveat of a £200m cash injection, as this would have saved the company from going into administration? (I am not versed in the law here)
Presumably the administrators and management didn't think his plan was enough to make a difference, or thought he would do something that would cost the creditors money without saving the business.

You can make a fair chunk of money from buying up/taking control of a company that is on the brink of administration if you can get the creditors to accept your plan, and then once you've done that you can play financial games that might keep the company going for a while but have it still go down the pan, the trick is doing it so you get your money (and then some) back. I suspect this may be what was planned with the £200 million cash injection.

Good administrators will be watching out for that sort of thing, as iirc it was one of the things that killed various other companies off, usually by doing things like hiving off profitable parts of the company/it's assets* cheaply so they can make a profit then leave the shell of the original company with all it's debts to go bust leaving the creditors in a worse position than if they'd simply gone into a planned administration.

*IIRC that's part of what killed woolies, at one point they owned most of their stores outright (freehold on the land and building), but as a profit making exercise for the management/shareholders in the short term sold off the properties into a separate company that then charged the main company full whack for rent where previously the chain had basically only had to pay maintenance and taxes (IIRC the property side had been a division inside the main group, before being broken into it's own completely independent company).

Soldato
OP

Thank you for getting it.

I think the law is flawed when someone can effectively choose to go into admin without a need to.

I accept ashley's plan may not have worked, however the plan should have been allowed to try and fail, rather than just be rejected in favour of going into admin.

Its the same issue as when people will "choose" to go bankrupt with the intention of not honouring debts whilst they are still capable of servicing said debts.

Soldato
OP
Presumably the administrators and management didn't think his plan was enough to make a difference, or thought he would do something that would cost the creditors money without saving the business.

You can make a fair chunk of money from buying up/taking control of a company that is on the brink of administration if you can get the creditors to accept your plan, and then once you've done that you can play financial games that might keep the company going for a while but have it still go down the pan, the trick is doing it so you get your money (and then some) back. I suspect this may be what was planned with the £200 million cash injection.

Good administrators will be watching out for that sort of thing, as iirc it was one of the things that killed various other companies off, usually by doing things like hiving off profitable parts of the company/it's assets* cheaply so they can make a profit then leave the shell of the original company with all it's debts to go bust leaving the creditors in a worse position than if they'd simply gone into a planned administration.

*IIRC that's part of what killed woolies, at one point they owned most of their stores outright (freehold on the land and building), but as a profit making exercise for the management/shareholders in the short term sold off the properties into a separate company that then charged the main company full whack for rent where previously the chain had basically only had to pay maintenance and taxes (IIRC the property side had been a division inside the main group, before being broken into it's own completely independent company).

Well the administrators themselves wouldnt have been the ones to decide to put it into admin in the first place, thats the decision I am talking about, not what happened after. Until they are appointed they would have had no involvement.

On your other points would ashley have asset stripped etc. all just to get his money back? maybe? however given he offered to invest 200 million, on top of whatever he had already invested to get his 30% stake I dont know if debenhams had 100s of millions in assets to strip, if they did I expect they wouldnt have got to this point. How do we know the new owners wont do the same sort of thing? The only thing that seems that can be speculated is ashley had a plan that the existing directors didnt like, and to prevent him from carrying out that plan they put the company into admin, the cash injection now put in by the new owners is 200million the same as what ashley offered, so the cash injection is of equal size.

To me all this isnt the main issue tho, the main issue is that I think admin should only be an action of last resort when its the absolute only immediate way to prevent a company from collapsing. I have no love for ashley or the other ex shareholders, I just hold the view that the company was not on its last legs when it had a 200 million cash injection been offered by a shareholder.

Last edited:
Associate
https://www.ft.com/content/38b297b4-5b96-11e9-9dde-7aedca0a081a

1) They rejected His deal because he had ample opportunity before this to be part of the pre-pack administration team and refused to do so:

The first was that he was a shareholder rather than a creditor. Chris Wootton, Sports Direct’s deputy chief financial officer, said the company had been invited to join a creditor group led by hedge fund Silver Point Capital last summer. But it declined to take part in what it believed would be a carve-up of Debenhams.

2) Due to him not being part of the admin team his offers of earlier "loans" were rejected as he is not considered a creditor

Debenhams persuaded Mr Ashley to sign a non-disclosure agreement — legally making Sports Direct a party to ongoing refinancing talks and precluding it from buying debt in the market. “He should have bought into the debt before Christmas. That was a big strategic mistake,” said the restructuring expert.

3) Despite Ashley's beliefs, Debenhams appointed highly regarded and expert teams to work through the administration, Ashley offers nothing but his "personal team"

Debenhams and its creditors assembled heavyweight advisers, including investment bank Lazard, lawyers Freshfields and Kirkland & Ellis and boutique firms Houlihan Lokey and FTI Consulting, for whom complex restructurings are meat and drink.

Mr Ashley relied more on his trusted internal team. “Mike is disdainful of highly-remunerated advisers, but when you’re dealing with people who do this sort of thing week in, week out, it helps to have expertise in your corner,” said a partner at another restructuring firm. Sports Direct said this had no effect on the outcome.

4) Ashley wanted complete control over the company and is a much larger long term danger to the business in contrast to a professional administration team

Mr Ashley’s unpredictability was also a factor. In recent weeks Sports Direct has described the pre-pack as “a long-planned theft”, said that Debenhams advisers should be sent to prison and called for its executives take lie detector tests.

Described by one person familiar with the negotiations as “hand-grenade tactics”, such outbursts created an atmosphere of mistrust. FTI, which also acted as administrators, cited Sports Direct’s call for a shareholder meeting to dismiss almost all of Debenhams’ directors as a major reason for not trying to sell the company as a going concern.

5) Ashley has offered slowly increasing offers to "help" Debenhams £40m, £60m, £150m, £200m. It really needs its entire debt to be cleaned which is £520m. This doesn't preclude any existing loss making stores that will need to be restructured or closed too.

He could yet buy Debenhams — the administrator is obliged to conduct a formal marketing process — although he would have to pay off its £520m of debts and inject working capital.

In conclusion, if Ashley genuinely wanted the company he could have been part of it from the beginning but refused to work alongside the other administrators by buying in. If Ashley does want the company he can probably buy it in future after the restructuring if he so wishes and makes a compelling offer.

Shareholders may have lost out, but they will have lost out anyway, allowing Ashley to take over the company wouldn't of saved the other shareholders money, it would have just allowed Ashley to rake back most of his own money through asset stripping and moving the brand names back to his home company of Sports Direct (see Dunlop etc..)

Directors will have not agreed to the buy out simply due to him wanting to fire them all, so it certainly wasn't in their interest to accept that.

Employees may be sceptical about working practices under Mike Ashley (anyone remember the Sports direct scandal a few years ago) so perhaps they wouldn't want him to take control either.

Creditors as explained above didn't want to allow Ashley to take control as he refused to be a part of their collaborative effort from the beginning and his untrustworthy and unpredictable behaviour does not generate a belief that it is going to result in a sustainable future, nor is it likely to increase the chance of them retrieving any of their debts owed.

That is three internal stakeholders and the creditors with clear reasons to reject his offers. Creditors can probably be convinced should he wish to take on the ENTIRETY of the debt and you could probably convince directors if he had a better attitude and wanted to work with them rather than fire them all.

Instead of offering such things Ashley has decided to threaten to mount a "legal challenge" because they rejected him. Not really the sort of actions of someone who is trying to work to save a company over his own self interest.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info, but it still wasnt a last resort tho was it, it was a choice to enter admin.

It was effectively used to get rid of someone who was considered to be getting in the way.

Caporegime
Well it kind of was, that’s the whole point... how else were they going to pay their debts etc???

You seem to want the creditors to take a bigger hit and the shareholders to not take the loss they suffered - why should the creditors go along with that?

Commissario
[edit] Dowie posted at the same time[/edit]

No, if the shareholders, creditors and management consider that Administration is better for the creditors and business than letting someone get the business at a bargain rate with no clear plan or what is considered a workable one, but the creditors and management have come to an agreement that they consider as having a better chance in regards to administration, then administration is the way to go.

Remember there is a planned administration where the involved parties have worked out something they think could work and minimises losses but the correct legal route is administration, and unplanned administration (usually shortly followed by bankruptcy) where the chances are no one gets anything.

The management and creditors have to consider if an external plan is likely to be better or worse than going into planned administration, it sounds like the considered that the correct course of action in this case.

IIRC in the US it's the difference between Chapter 11 (negotiated bankruptcy with a chance they'll pull through), and chapter 7 which is normally the end.

Also typically shareholders aren't quite the same as creditors, as they've invested knowing the risk of the company losing money (although usually they'll have made more than their investment back), and creditors who have supplied goods and services. IIRC legally they are very different in terms of how the law views them, the same as HMRC and staff are treated differently (IIRC it goes staff, HMRC, secured creditors, creditors, investors or something in terms of who has priority to be paid).

Associate
If mike ashley owns 30% of the buisiness then £520 * 0.3 = £150

£150 + £200 = £350. Investors lost £170 million and mike ashley wrote off £150 million of his own? Doesn't seem that bad of a deal...

Associate
"But it declined to take part in what it believed would be a carve-up of Debenhams."
"a major reason for not trying to sell the company as a going concern."

So by my understanding Mike Ashley was right. He wanted the stores but he could see that the investment group wanted to asset strip Debenhams instead. Debenhams senior management & the administrators weighed up the two options and decided to screw over the staff by handing it to this asset stripping investment group because they don't like Ashley (and because they and their mates make more money this way). Shame.

Caporegime
Why is this discussion continuing, shareholders are worthless compared to creditors, end of story?

He can make his case in court, if it succeeds I’d be surprised, probably just looking to settle.

Back
Top Bottom