MK1 X5: Yay or nay?

Caporegime
Got family coming over for holiday in August, we're heading the lake district so our Mini is obviously too small. I need something big, reliable, comfy, cheap. Toys are a bonus, power is a bonus, none of these really matter. I won't be owning it for long so as long as it lasts for the holiday it can fall apart as soon as we get home as far as I'm concerned. This one is cheap as chips and the V8 would be good for a little giggle too, what do you think?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903226171321

PS this is also me scratching a few itches at once at bangernomics money hence why rental and what not is out.

Caporegime
Interesting, as I’m currently contemplating the same thing for the same reason. For me it’s a toss up of one of these or a high mileage A6 Avant (I only need 5 seats, but decent luggage space).

Soldato
Lol even the owner calls it a beast!

That’s a massive amount of car for the money it really is

Although it’s heavy - you should try and find a similarly powerful estate which would be lighter

Not an easy task of course

Caporegime
OP
Lol even the owner calls it a beast!

That’s a massive amount of car for the money it really is

Although it’s heavy - you should try and find a similarly powerful estate which would be lighter

Not an easy task of course

Weight / economy isn't a problem, it'll be sold within a month or two after buying anyway. I've always had a soft spot for the Mk1 X5 anyway, and also never owned a V8 so may as well give it a go.

If your willing to risk 2k on a potential nightmare for a couple of weeks hire something.

As above, it's scratching a few itches. If I buy one I'll change the fluids, plugs, filters, have it detailed and use it for a month or two.

Although if my history with motorized vehicles is anything to go by I'll fall in love with it and it'll drain my wallet quicker than a crack addiction.

Soldato
I own the 4.8 version and if I didn't have BMW warranty I'd be crying. It's spent 12-16 weeks at BMW during my 18 month ownership.

Front airbags leaked.
Rear airbags leaked.
Alternator died.
Expansion tank leaked.
Gearbox kept going in to limp mode.

That's all within 18 months. The gearbox issue alone was a £9000 warranty claim.

Airbags are a known issue and a lot of owners change to springs but I'm not sure if the 4.4 has air suspension or not.

Soldato
I own the 4.8 version and if I didn't have BMW warranty I'd be crying. It's spent 12-16 week at BMW during my 18 month ownership.

Front airbags leaked.
Rear airbags leaked.
Alternator died.
Expansion tank leaked.
Gearbox kept going in to limp mode.

That's all within 18 months. The gearbox issue alone was a £9000 warranty claim.

Airbags are a known issue and a lot of owners change to springs but I'm not sure if the 4.4 has air suspension or not.

Nail, meet coffin.

Next idea me thinks lol

Soldato
If it has a recent MOT with no worrying advisories, seems to drive well, and you buy breakdown cover for the trip, I don’t see why it’s such a bad idea, particularly if you’ve always wanted to have a go of one anyway.

Of course they can be expensive to run, but they’re at an age now where there’s decent aftermarket fixes for most of the common issues, and if the worst comes to the worst, you could probably get half your money back selling it as a non runner.

Soldato
You pretty much have to go in thinking of it as disposable.

There is a reason cars like this are cheap, old/high mileage AMG Mercs are the same (unless it's something special or a classic). If anything breaks it will be astronomically expensive to fix.

Owner says no "major issues", but you can bet it will have some electrical issues, AC not working, etc :p

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I would assume an obvious thought process in bangernomics is to buy a car that ain't gonna need anything doing but if it does make sure its cheap... Good choice :p

Caporegime
To be honest, it's £1800 and it has a long MOT, so I'd say go for it if it checks out after a viewing. I'm not sure I'd want to keep an old BMW V8 long term though. Bills will start cropping up I'm sure.

Caporegime
OP
Mkay so fresh day, fresh thoughts, this is a silly decision.

So here we are:

What big, spacious, comfy cars would you recommend for £1-2k. The lower the price the better as I'll have some money spare for tyres or whatever. Whatcha think?

Caporegime
OP
Volvo v70, dont get any bargier than that :p

Would a old Lexus be a mad idea? From friends experiences, old top end German barges at this price point will be a pain.

Ha! I asked on facebook and these were the first two recommendations too. GS300 looks decent enough, may have a look.

Back
Top Bottom