The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Soldato
Used the recipe on page 1 on my bbq last night (sorry Uuni owners)

Worked a treat, everyone enjoyed theirs. I was able to cook 2 at a time (200g balls of dough) and each cook took 3 minutes. Not a feisty as a Uuni oven but then its not the only thing it can do :)

Lots of good recipes here, thanks everyone.

Soldato
Worked a treat, everyone enjoyed theirs. .. and each cook took 3 minutes. Not a feisty as a Uuni oven
good stuff - it's a kamado lid we can see, no ? ... you have the pizza stone ? and I forget, is there a mod of some kind
I'm still saving ... earlier thread

Soldato
good stuff - it's a kamado lid we can see, no ? ... you have the pizza stone ? and I forget, is there a mod of some kind
I'm still saving ... earlier thread
Yes, cooked on a wild Goose Kamado (currently 500 from the greenhouse people) Cooked on the pizza stone, no mods. Doing a standard burgers and chicken bbq tonight :)

Soldato
Pizza Margherita .....
what did you add that gave the strong yellow tinge on several pictures ? I had tried grated mature (=acid) cheddar in the past which appears like that, but, it seems to melt too easily ... I don't think its olive oil ..
The crusting/scaling on the dough too, probably good for the texture ... were the bases prepared in advance ?

(yes - the salad+ham wasn't a topping in the oven )

Soldato
OP
what did you add that gave the strong yellow tinge on several pictures ? I had tried grated mature (=acid) cheddar in the past which appears like that, but, it seems to melt too easily ... I don't think its olive oil ..
The crusting/scaling on the dough too, probably good for the texture ... were the bases prepared in advance ?

(yes - the salad+ham wasn't a topping in the oven )

hmmm not too sure actually. I don't use Cheddar on Pizza so don't think it's the cheese. I do put some oil on the Margherita so maybe that.

Bases are not prepared in advance but the dough is. For example, that was started on Tuesday evening. Then cold fermented until Saturday. Makes a huge difference to crust and flavour of the base

Permabanned
Damm those pizzas look incredible. Well done all i am going to think long and hard about an Uuni or Ooni Pro. £500 is a lot of cash for pizza but i have a supplier who was supplying all the county and it was delicious. I can only imagine how good it would be to buy bulk from them and sit out the back with a 500c oven.

Does anyone ever pre cook the topping a bit though? I personally like the black spots on my Salami alongside the crust i had thought about first putting in the dough for a few seconds then putting on the rest.

Don
made some dough for today using measurements from pizza app, it used a fraction of yeast I have used in past, its only risen about 2.5x as opposed to ab0out 5x in past

do you think its ok or should I do some emergency quick stuff for later today?

Soldato
Any offers on these at the moment ? Could have sworn I saw them for around the 160-180 mark recently? Also, is gas worth it? I generally like the smell/smokey flavour of wood but imagine this isn't as convenient?

Soldato
Any offers on these at the moment ? Could have sworn I saw them for around the 160-180 mark recently? Also, is gas worth it? I generally like the smell/smokey flavour of wood but imagine this isn't as convenient?

The gas addition would be ideal if you already have a gas fired BBQ. If not, other than the crazy price of the wood pellets, it probably isn’t worth getting it as the oven lights and gets to temperature extremely quickly.

Soldato
Cheers Tom.

Going to go for the wood one, but want it for the weekend. Can get it from the rainforest on next day for £199 - but without pellets. All of the official Ooni pellets are either out of stock or not able to get delivered until next week.

Any other pellet recommendations that may be available from local stores?

Caporegime
The gas addition would be ideal if you already have a gas fired BBQ. If not, other than the crazy price of the wood pellets, it probably isn’t worth getting it as the oven lights and gets to temperature extremely quickly.

i've already recommended pellets in this thread which are £4 for 10kg. whereas i believe official one is like £20 for 10kg.

Cheers Tom.

Going to go for the wood one, but want it for the weekend. Can get it from the rainforest on next day for £199 - but without pellets. All of the official Ooni pellets are either out of stock or not able to get delivered until next week.

Any other pellet recommendations that may be available from local stores?

https://www.wolseley.co.uk/product/balcas-brites-wood-pellet--non-trade-10-kg/

i bought 2 of these last year in preparation for this summer. i managed to buy them using trade discount somehow must have been a link so look through the thread for it.

they were like £4 a bag or possibly £4.50 for 10kg.

10kg is enough i would say for 20 hours of use. it depends a lot on the wind though. i found the more windy it was the more they burned quicker.

Soldato
Nice one - can collect those tomorrow from local stores.

Doesn't mention food grade - but given you're recommending sounds like you've found them ok?

Back
Top Bottom