Acer XB271HU - washed colors

Associate
Hello,

I just got an Acer XB271HU. The issue is that whatever settings, color profiles, etc i try the colors are washed out and the black always has a whitish haze over it. Even when there's no signal input the panel has that whitish haze compared to another monitor (IPS), an Acer SA250Y. On the SA240Y the blacks and all colors are more darker with out of the box settings. I've been reading about this and the main difference is one is AHVA IPS and the other plain IPS and while AHVA is faster it looses color and contrast but to this degree ?
Is it a general issue with these garbage tier AHVA IPS panels from AU Optronics that are used on most 144 Hz displays or did i get a dud ? It does also have backlight bleed in all 4 corners plus on the edge in the top left. Not that bad but it exist and it feels a bit bad to have a 600$ monitor (750$ cost me, as it's more expensive here) look worse than a 150$ one.

So should i keep it or send for a new one / get my money back ?

Thank you.

slhgjl.jpg

35a954n.jpg

zbrr4.jpg

Soldato
Last screen looks quite normal to be honest in the current lottery quality of monitors and it appears to be IP Glow rather than BLB. What do you have your brightness and contrast set to ?

If you arent happy send it back but knowing Acer you could end up with something worse. You pays your money you takes your chance.

Associate
OP
The brightness is now at 35 as the ips glow, blb and the haze i was talking abut become more apparent the more brightness is have, at 50 which is the other monitor the haze is very noticeable. Contrast is at 40 on the XB271hu and 40 on the other but brightness is at 50 in SA240Y. The issue is mostly with the black which is more grey on the XB271HU and the fact that I cannot get the same darker colors on it. There is also a bit of color banding with pixelation of darker gradients on XB. With 15 brightness the colors become a bit more close but still not as dark. For example difference in color:

295ti04.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
You can make the colours darker, by changing the Gamma, and lowering the brightness. But yes LG IPS is generally better looking than AUO AHVA.

Soldato
As with many monitors the problems like poor black uniformity hinder overall picture quality, according to Acer Predator XB271HU Review - RTINGS.com the monitor doesn't support more advanced features such as local dimming or HDR to improve the picture quality further, but this is true for most monitors on the market at the moment.

Associate
OP
Thank you for the suggestions. I've tried with different color profiles but haven't seen a change.
After fiddling with color settings in NVidia control panel and setting brightness to 45 and contrast to 60 while the monitor is on 30 brightness and 40 contrast, now the colors are a lot closer to the ones on the IPS, no longer so washed and the blacks are richer. I did introduce a bit of color banding by doing this but it's minimal.

Back
Top Bottom