This Business and Moment...

Soldato
Thought I'd start something of a blog here for my job hunting in NYC, I moved from London about 6 months ago and got my work permit sorted about 3 months ago. Since then I have been meeting recruiters and sending out applications but mostly been met with thanks but no thanks e-mails or more often just no response at all. I was starting to get a little depressed about it but finally had my first interview in NYC last week.

It was for a role at a top hedge fund and I knew going into it that the role might be a bit of a stretch and almost turned down the interview but decided to give it a go. Interview went well although it became apparent that there was indeed quite a knowledge gap

The feedback I received after was that they were impressed with my skills and background and think I would be a good fit for the company, so they have sent my CV over to the head of another dept where I have more experience so hopefully something comes from that. So I guess moral of the story is head up take chances see what happens.

Bitter sweet outcome. Hopefully the other department takes you on.

Why NYC?

Associate
Thats great.... I wish my potential move was as straight-forward as that.

I saw your thread on the move, it wasn't an easy decision for us we flip flopped several times but it would be something we would have both regeted not doing and worst case we go away for a couple of years and come back with interesting experiences and perhaps some new perspectives.

Life is all about experiences at the end of the day. What's the point in staying still get out and challenge yourself personally and professionally what's the worst that could happen

Soldato
We currently use a Business Intelligence package which is no longer supported by the ERP system we use. It's also not used to anywhere near it capabilities due to a lack of appetite. I probably use it more than most but it needs a lot of work to get something worthwhile.

There's been discussion to start from scratch with another package. Likely to be Oracle Hyperion. Sounds like it could be a great project and would tie into things i've done in the past.

A new person has just started in my department who has historic knowledge of Hyperion so am hoping things don't sway for him to take a lead on it. It's probably a long way off yet so will see how things go.

Soldato
OP
I hate oracle tbh and all their stuff.

House update... coming together with architect, still a way to go to exchange in July!
Randomshenans French Renovation Journey

VolAir met another reallllly really useful guy who wants to come on board as strategic partnership head, which would be great. Spent hours on the phone with him, now need to work out how to make it work and not pay him :D
Still pushing on with delivery on the app, as well as kicking everyone's ass to make this Magic Johnson event happen. I think I might have sold 3 tickets... potentially. And arranged the guy who does all the content / social for the world's biggest watch blogger/ lux lifestyle blog (watchanish) on insta/ web with 1.7m followers! He'd come and do all our videography which would be huge. Would use it as a public launch I think. Great chance to make some huge connections. I think I can make this work which would be mental. Bit of a mission getting the app finished, it's the last couple of bits but it's the most important bits. It's like 10% left but the guy is a bit of a pain to manage :D I've stepped up the motivation either way. Need to soft launch soon so we can bug find in the whole process before Sept.

We launched GoatDEX, dunno if I said, I forget what day it is. https://dex.goat.cash/#!/trade/VOL-ETH and listed VOL tokens on there :D haha we've got a ton of stuff to do on the contract side of this, but I want the guys to finish the admin / referral UI on VolAir **** first, so I'm whipping the right things!! This can wait...!
Will be making fees per tx split between the token and ourselves, so if XYZ token list with us, they get 50% split fees when anyone makes a trade. Incentivise people to list and make other listings possible in their own token, not 2BTC which is what everyone else charges as a minimum.

Community is growing on Goat Cash though... I just try and keep up.

Emotuit got a sales contract out for review and Sean fixed ASU issues, so trying to meet them next week. Might finally come good? I committed to put some time into business development on this as I have been a bit foot off the gas. Starting with content, linkedin posting etc. it's a great market for this industry, just with targeted posts really. Trying this and will monitor activity.

My project at Novartis has been put on hold... I still am ASM for the application, but they're not going to be pushing the rollout of the software to the rest of the company. What the future holds for me? No idea, but my manager told me to keep him in the loop (he's in the US) as soon as I know anything, and he'll look after me and find me something. Which is a bit of a weight off!

Anddddd that's me...

Soldato
Oh I am so glad I'm leaving my current company ... my colleague (who is also leaving slightly after me) had all his accounts deleted last week, a month early, due to a screw up by HR ... supposedly they are being reinstated but how long that will take compared with how long he has left ...

Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I'm really not a fan of Oracle's business practices.

I can't say i'm a huge fan either, but we use Netsuite as our ERP system anyway so tied to them either way.

I hate oracle tbh and all their stuff.

One of our sales guys is leaving to work for them, guess they must sell new stuff rather just chasing renewals and doing audits ;)

I interviewed there about 18 months ago, seemed ok to be fair although I didn’t have as high expectations for their particular new product I was there for as they did. 18 months later and still not heard of or seen anyone using it, and never come up against them competitively yet.

Soldato
Today handed in my notice for my job here in Birmingham after being there for nearly 10 years to start a new role in Switzerland on 3rd June. Thanks to the help of a fellow OCUK member :)

5 weeks go, new job, new country, new living accommodation. New start for everything in my life. I am looking forward to it!

Man of Honour
Today handed in my notice for my job here in Birmingham after being there for nearly 10 years to start a new role in Switzerland on 3rd June. Thanks to the help of a fellow OCUK member :)

5 weeks go, new job, new country, new living accommodation. New start for everything in my life. I am looking forward to it!

Good luck in your new role!

Soldato
Slightly bricking it at the moment. Last day tomorrow at my current job, after being with the company (not in the same job and we were bought and sold several times) for almost 22 years ...

2 weeks off then start somewhere new ... but it's a bit daunting after so long ...

Soldato
Nearing my CompTIA Security+ course with the test next month. Have caked up my LinkedIn profile but need to revisit the CV as I haven't updated it since uni. Any quick guides/tips on doing CVs?

Back
Top Bottom