*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Just a heads up you can buy the Weber Master Touch in grey from go outdoors for £135 - price matched from B&Q (hotukdeals)

Going to order the chimney, lump wood, briquettes, fire lighters, metal brush.

Any other tips or must buys?
A good wireless thermometer that can do both food and grill temps and an instant read thermometer.

If you’re wanting to do some low and slow cooking you should look into some sort of heat deflector too, I’m not sure what people use on the Weber grills.

Associate
A good wireless thermometer that can do both food and grill temps and an instant read thermometer.

If you’re wanting to do some low and slow cooking you should look into some sort of heat deflector too, I’m not sure what people use on the Weber grills.

I'll look into that thanks.

Do you guys use water pans when smoking?

Soldato
I used to but I switched to using a large terracotta saucer. The temps stay just as stable but I don't burn anywhere near as much fuel as I did when using water.
That's just given me a crazy idea. I use sand in my vertical smoker for temp stability. If I 'bake' the sand in my oven at 115C and put it in the smoker at the same time as I put the coals in, that should make getting up to temperature and lessen the fluctuations after putting the meat in shouldn't it. Shame I'll not be cooking this weekend.

Soldato
Picked up an Inkbird IBT-4XS smart thermometer, looking forward to trying out, got cheesed off running outside to check the previous 2 probe digital one.

I have the IBT-2X and it's a great little unit. The free app that links to it is pretty decent as well, easy to setup and use which was nice. The Bluetooth connection isn't the strongest (nowhere near the range they claim in my experience) however your's is a different, more expensive and newer unit to mine so will probably be better! Be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Soldato
Caporegime
I have the IBT-2X and it's a great little unit. The free app that links to it is pretty decent as well, easy to setup and use which was nice. The Bluetooth connection isn't the strongest (nowhere near the range they claim in my experience) however your's is a different, more expensive and newer unit to mine so will probably be better! Be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Used it lastnight in the main oven, setup is a download and one button press, app is easy to navigate, range seems good np from one side of the house to the other through walls etc, temps seem to be accurate, build quality is good.

Looking forward to trying it in the BBQ now.

Soldato
Has anyone had any experience with the Traeger grills/smokers? I admit that I have only scimmed through a few of the recent pages and intend to read the lot but felt it would save time to just ask.

*Edit* Sorry my bad, Didn't anticipate the search function on the forums working so well. Would still be interested to hear what any Traeger owners think about the products.

Bit of a delay but I have a Traeger so can answer any questions you have if you still need it!? The 2019 Traeger's look like a really decent upgrade but I’ve had no issues with mine and frankly it’s been great - paired with a Weber kettle and IMO I have the perfect setup for outdoor cooking.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Fillet it, take the skin off.

Cover it in dry brine 80-20 of brown sugar and salt leave it in the fridge for a day.

Then Rinse it all off leave it out in the open for 2hrs till the flesh gets hardness to it, then a smoke for 1.5-2 hrs at 150c :)

Soldato
Doing something quicker today - chicken wings and boneless thigh's, coated with a mix of BBQ rub and corn flour, smoking for about an hour with hickory chips.

[edit]
An update: damn good, too many eaten, corn flour made for a nice crunch with the spices, buffalo sauce topped it off.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just spatchcocked a corn-fed chicken, butter under the skin and salt / pepper on top, all placed in a roasting pan with chicken stock gravy at the bottom.

Looking forward to the result, plus first real test of the smart digital thermometer.

Soldato
Bought a new bbq a beast

Interesting, looks like it might be quite capable, not sure how long those racks will last though.

I noticed my weber performer has a small hole in the side now after about 9 years, I don't expect the bowl to last much longer now so I've gone an ordered the new mastertouch premium with the hinged lid and indirect deflection plate. Really wanted a summit, but those prices..
I'm starting to think I should have got a standard mastertouch, but we'll see..

Back
Top Bottom