Sri Lanka massacres

Soldato
Ignoring the Saudi exported terrorism. Muslim countries do need to follow the teachings and do more about protecting minorities including Christians in their countries.

They are failing.

Caporegime
So the pagans had a son of god who came and died and resurrected at the same time as Christian easter?

There are literally hundreds if not thousands of ‘pagan’ faiths, I seriously don’t have the time to be armchair historian.

So I’ll concede further argument, it’s a bit like the Christmas tree and Christmas, parts of it aren’t the sole ownership of any one faith.

Soldato
There are literally hundreds if not thousands of ‘pagan’ faiths, I seriously don’t have the time to be armchair historian.

So I’ll concede further argument, it’s a bit like the Christmas tree and Christmas, parts of it aren’t the sole ownership of any one faith.
I'm not asking you to, you just claimed it so I thought you knew or had an example. It's a bit silly to just claim it's a pagan tradition and not have any evidence to back it up.

Caporegime
I'm not asking you to, you just claimed it so I thought you knew or had an example. It's a bit silly to just claim it's a pagan tradition and not have any evidence to back it up.

I did have evidence (it was actually more Assyria than Babylon, but eh), not perhaps for the claim that Christianity stole their own idea of Easter, but that it’s has parts of many other ideas that predate the faith in question.

It didn’t suddenly come into being with the right to those ideas. As I said you can have your Easter.

@Evangelion are you timetraveling, your replies don’t update for ages...

Soldato
Over 290 confirmed dead now. Utter, utter scum. :(
That British guy who lost his wife and children, I don't think I could carry on if something like that happened.

Associate
It’s a pagan holiday aswell. Christianity loved stealing that ****. But yes they’re being either obtuse or implicitly saying it’s Christian enough to not need to say it.

Many different places, the ideas of rebirth are millennia older than Christianity itself, in Babylon (something about samiramis? And rebirth), Egypt, Germanic tribes (goddess of spring) the mish mash of cultures between them.

I guess stealing is a bit harsh, let’s go with working with material set about prior. The only things innately Christian about it is Christ, anything else is largely just continuing the idea of rebirth and springtime. But as I said, this is not relevant, and I’m not a historian willing to try to connect tenuous beliefs/theories/ideas together.

If you feel Christianity owns an entire period, go right ahead.

Sorry what exactly did it steal? Or are you making crap up? Trying to draw tenuous links then backtracking?

And per earlier poster this whole thread has been a circle jerk of talking about all and everything apart from main issues. As is usual with such discord when it comes to other religions...everyone dodging all the main issues.

Because tolerance is used as a mask. A mask of fear for a backwards violent ideology that has caused undue misery and can't hide behind the concept of the core concepts being abused. Because it was founded on such principles.

Going to be an interesting century.

Caporegime
It’s not mental gymnastics it’s the truth. And it makes sense for a religion wishing to overtake others, you should take over their celebration periods or erase them.

The biggest and obvious use is the calendar we use. This is really quite irrelevant though, and doesn’t really have a bearing on extremism.
Given that one of the attacks hit a church on an important Christian holiday, can we agree they deliberately targeted Christians, or is this going to be another head in the sand moment?

Caporegime
Many different places, the ideas of rebirth are millennia older than Christianity itself, in Babylon (something about samiramis? And rebirth), Egypt, Germanic tribes (goddess of spring) the mish mash of cultures between them.

I guess stealing is a bit harsh, let’s go with working with material set about prior. The only things innately Christian about it is Christ, anything else is largely just continuing the idea of rebirth and springtime. But as I said, this is not relevant, and I’m not a historian willing to try to connect tenuous beliefs/theories/ideas together.

None of this is true. Please stop repeating long-debunked ideas from non-experts.

Professor Tryggve Mettinger said:
The consensus among modern scholars—nearly universal—is that there were no dying and rising gods that preceded Christianity. They all post-dated the first century.

Professor Jonathan Zittell Smith said:
The idea of dying and rising gods is largely a misnomer based on imaginative reconstructions and exceedingly late or highly ambiguous texts.

^^ That's the academic consensus.

I did have evidence (it was actually more Assyria than Babylon, but eh), not perhaps for the claim that Christianity stole their own idea of Easter, but that it’s has parts of many other ideas that predate the faith in question.

It didn’t suddenly come into being with the right to those ideas. As I said you can have your Easter.

None of this is true. Please read this article by an atheist historian.

@Evangelion are you timetraveling, your replies don’t update for ages...

I'm on moderation.

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48019189

Sri Lanka has held its first mass funeral as the country marks a day of mourning for the victims of Sunday's bomb blasts.

The death toll from the attacks on churches and hotels has risen to 310 with about 500 wounded, police said.

The country has observed three minutes of silence and a state of emergency is in effect to prevent further attacks.

Sri Lanka's government has blamed the blasts on local Islamist group National Thowheed Jamath (NTJ).

Police have now detained 40 suspects in connection with the attack. A spokesman said they included a Syrian who was arrested "after the interrogation of local suspects".

Meanwhile, defence minister Ruwan Wijewardene told parliament on Tuesday that "preliminary investigations" indicated the bombings were in retaliation for deadly attacks on mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, in March. He did not give any further details.

The mass funeral for about 30 victims took place at St Sebastian church in Negombo, north of Colombo, which was one of the places targeted in Sunday's blasts. Another funeral service was scheduled for later on Tuesday.

Earlier, a moment of silence was observed at 08:30, reflecting the time the first of six bombs detonated. Flags were lowered to half-mast and people, many of them in tears, bowed their heads in respect.

The state of emergency gives police and the military sweeping powers to detain and interrogate suspects without court orders - powers that were last used during the nation's civil war.

The government limited access to Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram after the blasts.

NTJ, the group named by the government as the main suspect, has no history of large-scale attacks but came to prominence last year when it was blamed for damaging Buddhist statues.

However, neither NTJ nor any other group has admitted carrying out Sunday's bombings.

Apparently the warnings that were given were not fully heeded due to the political instability in the country. It looks like the bombings were less about any local issues.

Caporegime
Different circumstances but not the first time we have heard warnings falling on deaf ears, though this does sound like a worrying amount of people didn't receive it/act on it in time.

Soldato
I wonder who is behind telling Obama and Hillary to use the term "Easter worshipers" rather than Christians. They both did it so there's clearly a deliberate choice of language. To me it feels like divide and conquer to push Globalism and avoid uniting groups, break up any sort of unity so there's no concerted opposition.

Caporegime
I wonder who is behind telling Obama and Hillary to use the term "Easter worshipers" rather than Christians. They both did it so there's clearly a deliberate choice of language. To me it feels like divide and conquer to push Globalism and avoid uniting groups, break up any sort of unity so there's no concerted opposition.

I'm all for criticising their mealy-mouthed phrasing, but how exactly does saying 'Easter worshippers' rather than 'Christians' push globalism? Do you even know what globalism is?

Soldato

In my experience Christmas and Easter are two of the busiest times at churches, with many only really going to church around those times. So a distinction between regular attendees and, let's say "part time" attendees, isn't an outrageous notion.

I do like to see that you're getting triggered by the use of "Easter worshipers" though.

Back
Top Bottom