Advice on M.2 + PCIe adapter card

Soldato
My motherboard is an Asus x99 AII that has one M.2 drive that i have populated with a Samsung NVME drive. I want to add a second cheap 500gb M.2 for additional storage because i want to replace my ageing storage HDD. I also like the idea of getting rid of SATA data and power cables.

I'm looking specifically at this M.2 Drive and this adapter card. I chose purely based on the fact they're the cheapest. As it's just for storage i dont need it to be super fast.

Is there anything i need to be aware of with adapter cards, or anything else for that matter?

Thanks

Soldato
OP
@bremen1874 @BongoHunter

If i installed the SATA m.2 on my motherboard and moved my Samsung NVME to a PCIe adapter card would i still be able to boot from the Samsung drive and would the performance be stunted by the adapter?

Thanks

[Edit] Nevermind, my motherboard M.2 slot doesn't accept SATA :(

Soldato
In theory yes, and the speed should be the same. It may depend on whether the PCIe slot connects to the CPU or the chipset.

If you’re set on doing this buy the adapter first and try it. If it works out buy the other drive.

Personally I’d go NVME or stick with a traditional SSD and live with the cables.

Soldato
OP
If I did add a PCIe adapter card would it impact on my graphics card? I don't entirely understand all this business about PCIe lanes (i'm still a noob).

My CPU is a 5820k which i believe has 28 lanes. The image below is from my motherboard manual.

gWUT8nz.png

Soldato
You should be able to plug in the adapter without impacting the graphics card. The manual should tell you which slots share PCIe lanes.

Even if the GPU dropped down to 8 lanes it probably wouldn’t make any difference unless you have a really high end GPU, and even then it’d be very slight.

Soldato
OP
You should be able to plug in the adapter without impacting the graphics card. The manual should tell you which slots share PCIe lanes.

Even if the GPU dropped down to 8 lanes it probably wouldn’t make any difference unless you have a really high end GPU, and even then it’d be very slight.

I found this from a review of my motherboard.

RujvBPP.png

My GFX card is in the top slot (left most slot in the image above).

Would the adapter go in either the 2nd or 3rd x16 slot without impacting on the gfx card?

Soldato
According to that diagram could use the 2nd or 3rd x16 slots without losing any PCIe lanes from slot 1.

The 3rd x16 Slot would be the better option as it's PCIe 3.0 connected to the CPU instead of PCIe 2.0 connected to the chipset.

Back
Top Bottom