Using an Xbox One controller with a Bluetooth adapter....Lag,lag and yet more lag!

Soldato
Has anyone else had a bad experience with this?

Pressing buttons on my controller results in a 1-2 second delay before registering actions on screen or them not being recognised at all, add to that the problems with Windows 10 detecting and syncing with it.

Am I missing something or is Bluetooth a waste of time for connecting a wireless Xbox controller for PC gaming and do I really need to get the Microsfot wireless USB dongle (at an extortionate price) for a decent experience?

I have got the micro USB cable for wired gaming with it but I'd really like to ditch using a wired controller.

Soldato
Had similar issues, bluetooth was hit and miss and had some of the issues you mentioned, usually syncing bit being the issue, lag not so much (though some actions did not register period), just reverted back to using the offical Xbox one wireless dongle and works flawlessly.

Associate
If you get an Xbox one s controller with the built in Bluetooth you do not need an adaptor. But before I did that I had the official Xbox one dongle and it worked fine no lag at all, won it on eBay for about £12 if I remember correctly.

Soldato
Which one do you use, a recommendation would be good, otherwise i could end up buying a few of them to find a decent one and spending just as much as buying the Microsoft USB wireless adapter.

I use the asus BT400, the official microsoft one is also very good.

Soldato
OP
If you get an Xbox one s controller with the built in Bluetooth you do not need an adaptor.

Err, I do have an Xbox controller with Bluetooth but you still need an adapter to receive the signal, Windows can't do that through software.

...But good news, I seemed to have solved the problem! Seems the drivers for my particular dongle were causing the lag, so I uninstalled them, rebooted, plugged my adapter back in and I'm now just using the built in Windows Blutooth driver and now there is no (discernible) lag!

£30 saved and put towards getting a nice new Xbox Elite controller :)

EDIT:

Just checked and found out Elite controllers don't come with Bluetooth!! :(

Soldato
Are the elite controllers really worth the extra though? I did look at them when upgrading from a 360 pad, but then I looked at the price and I was like.. Nope!

Soldato
Are the elite controllers really worth the extra though? I did look at them when upgrading from a 360 pad, but then I looked at the price and I was like.. Nope!

First off - they should probably be £75 or less. They are way overpriced.

Money aside - they do have advantages, and are probably more worth it if you use a controller all the time.

The paddles are useful for things like continuing to strafe to one side while zooming in with sniper rifle, not always possible if you need to use left thumb to do both. Or jumping (say it normally requires the A button) while continuing to aim with your right thumb on the right stick.

And the customizations through XBOX Accessories app are good for stick sensitivity (really useful for aiming) beyond what in-game settings normally allow. The hair trigger locks are a nice feature too, to fire off a shot faster* (though this often requires "Dead Zone" tweaking in the app if the trigger is also used to accelerate in vehicles - it won't reach max speed otherwise, shots may not happen).

* And shots in rapid succession.

I've had a couple of issues with mine (bought in summer of 2016) - mine turned out to belong to a huge batch with bad rubber, which started to expand and peel off after 6 months. Microsoft said they corrected the issue (no idea if true). Solved that by buying a cheap rubber cover for it, so far so good. The other thing was that after a couple of years, the cable (I don't use wireless) started losing connection. Solved that by using an elastic band to press down on the connector. These are things that simply shouldn't happen to such an expensive product. And if you look at it now, it's a bit Frankenstein with the rubber cover and elastic band.

That said, there's been no stick drift at all, which became a problem pretty quick with two earlier 360 controllers. And it has seen a lot of abuse. It's not unlikely I'd have gone through several cheaper controllers by now. But given the measly warranty, buying an Elite is still risky.

I'm in two minds about whether I'll replace it with the same when it dies. Ideally I'd like to keep the features I've grown used to in a cheaper alternative.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got one of those controllers for about £70 a year ago came with a venom charging doc too...sadly though it's never actually been any use what so ever , windows for some reason would never "see" it, and it's the same with using a USB cable, just a waste of money really , I plug it in via USB it rumbles a little bit and thats all it does oh and a white light that flashes too, yet we have a wired xbox 360 controller and it works perfectly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you connecting via Bluetooth, or the Microsoft wireless dongle?

Just curious really.. I think if connecting via Bluetooth it should be 4.0 or higher.

I think my WiFi combo card has bt 4.1... Works fine unless the battery is low or the pad times out due to inactivity. Which can sometimes result in having to restart the game if the game doesn't register that the pad is 'alive' again.

Battery doesn't last that long either ... Couple of weeks casual gaming and it's recharge time. But I have a few batteries on a recharge cycle so I've pretty much always got charged batteries ready to go as I use them for other stuff, electric beard trimmer and whatnot..

Last edited:
Soldato
I got one of those controllers for about £70 a year ago came with a venom charging doc too...sadly though it's never actually been any use what so ever , windows for some reason would never "see" it, and it's the same with using a USB cable, just a waste of money really , I plug it in via USB it rumbles a little bit and thats all it does oh and a white light that flashes too, yet we have a wired xbox 360 controller and it works perfectly.

If I recall I had to do something funky with my pad, as in go to the old skool applet in win10 control panel, 'add printer or other device' and scan for new devices before it picked it up properly.

Back
Top Bottom