D-RGB to 5 pin RGB adapter?

Associate
I've just got a new Threadripper block and a radeon VII block. For who knows why, the TR block has a D-RGB connector and the VII block has a normal RGB connector. My motherboard doesn't have a D-RGB header.

Unfortunately typing "D-RGB adapter" into any search just seems to bring up loads of RGB products. Can anyone point me to an adapter?

Soldato
You can't adapt between 12V RGB (plain single colour) and digital/addressable RGB which uses 5V. They use different mechanisms to control colour as well as different voltages. D-RGB might also be listed as A-RGB for Addressable.

I don't think I've seen a 5-pin RGB connector, only 3 for ARGB, 4 for ARGB (one unused pin) and regular 12VRGB, and 6-pin if including fan speed control.

Soldato
http://www.phanteks.com/PH-CTHUB_DRGB.html

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £30.38 (includes shipping: £7.39)

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cooling-rgb-accessories/argb-led-small-controller/

Total: £28.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)
cooler master has USB 2.0 interface , phanteks is 3 pin wired or control at the box. CM is also has ability to control at the box

this was the CM unit i was trying to find

can see its own cable plugs into the unit and then has a splitter for the ARGB 3 pin... the unit above has been designed differently and has replaced it

would personally go with the CM unit and then can controller more ARGB fans as well as Use CoolerMaster ARGB software which is pretty cool!

@Ron_CM should be able to help​

Last edited:
Associate
Morning :)

For simplicity, i will call RGB the 4 pin 12V cables and ARGB the 3 pin, 5V cables.
Mixing RGB and ARGB isn't usually a good idea. It requires either 2 controllers, 2 different headers on your motherboard (ARGB and RGB) OR a fancy controller that can allow both connections - more on that later. The downside is you can't really sync the effects perfectly due to having multiple devices controlling lighting of different products, and/or also you might lose out on the Addressable lighting effects if you are using one fancy controller to do all the lighting effects.

In reality you can adapt between RGB and ARGB, but you lose the ARGB lighting effects. Our controllers that are included in ML120R, ML240R and ML360R can allow you to plug both ARGB and RGB lighting but again syncing them will mean you lose on ARGB lighting. We also don't sell those controllers separately.

I would recommend for you to go down this route:
Use this controller to light up your TR block:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cooler-master-addressable-rgb-led-controller-fg-02q-cm.html
Then use your motherboard to light up your VII block.
Unfortunately this would be the easiest and best way IMO to control them both, it just means you have to use 2 different sets of software to control your lighting but it will work.

Soldato
@Tom B which actual aorus x399 board do you have ?

as 7, PRO and Xtreme have both 4 pin and 3 pin , located in the bottom left hand corner ?

should have 2 RGB and 1 ARGB with 5/12v jumper for Digital header

Associate
OP
@Tom B which actual aorus x399 board do you have ?

as 7, PRO and Xtreme have both 4 pin and 3 pin , located in the bottom left hand corner ?

should have 2 RGB and 1 ARGB with 5/12v jumper for Digital header

Ahh, yes I should have read the manual. I saw the D_LED header but the pin layout was different to the connector so I assumed it was different. Now I'll have to see if I can find the adapter cable from when I got the board 18 months ago

Soldato
Ahh, yes I should have read the manual. I saw the D_LED header but the pin layout was different to the connector so I assumed it was different. Now I'll have to see if I can find the adapter cable from when I got the board 18 months ago

right, you have the 3 pin DRGB no space - Gigabyte the first mobo makers to do DRGB on boards and did a 3 pin design, others went with industry up-coming standard, which was using the 4 pin RGB but with on pin blank .
Your board might of come with a 3pin close to 3 pin wide adapter

if not will have to use CM cable found here

Total: £12.69 (includes shipping: £2.74)​

I had to use XSPC cable as the above wasnt out

http://www.xs-pc.com/discontinued-2/3pin-gigabyte-rgb-adapter-30cm

Soldato
I would have just gone with CM one and had it all at the back.... also means can link more ARGB products together ..

pain not having the lights sync'd the same and manual controller :(

Associate
OP
I would have just gone with CM one and had it all at the back.... also means can link more ARGB products together ..

pain not having the lights sync'd the same and manual controller :(

Yeah, it would be perfect to have everything synced but the fans already require their own controller so I'm not really losing much.

You're build looks fantastic though! I'm not fond of Green but it rocks in that build :)

Soldato
its more like you've got either 2 software and one manual or 2 manual and 1 software when you'll be able to run cpu via software , although if your rocking solid green then easy enough with manual controller as dont have to touch again :)

Back
Top Bottom