Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
I'm after a table saw. I was going to go for the Titan one from Screwfix but it seems quite large and i'm not sure if i bench top one would be better. Ideally i'd like the Dewalt 745 version but i can't quite justify the amount. Unfortunately there isn't a huge amount of choice and so i've ended up liking a Draper 82570

https://www.drapertools.com/product/82570/250mm-Extending-Table-Saw-(1800W)

Advantages over other models is that it features a 10" blade and extends on both sides to create a decent sized working platform.

Uses will be ripping lengths of wood down (scaffolding boards etc in half) and also cutting down MDF/PLY where i think i'll be more accurate with this vs a circular saw.

It'd be great to see these things in person but options for that are limited. I also know the Titan one has a lot of optional table extentions. If i was to get that and not install the legs/extentions. How big is the main table?

Soldato
Associate
Anyone know if these bits are any decent?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282827049828
You tend to find most stuff in multi cases like that are poor quality and don’t last long but it depends what your going to use them for to be honest. If you go steady and don't strain them they can do most jobs fine. Don’t be fooled by too brands either most of there multi boxes are the same quality as unbranded it’s only if you buy there separate bits that you get better quality.

Soldato
They will be fine for DIY, but I wouldn't call them "decent" as Von Haus is just an importer of cheap Chinese tools. They will do fine for odd jobs around the house. The smaller drill bits will snap for fun though. I tend to buy packs of 10 x 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm drill bits for pre drilling as even the more expensive ones like to snap as soon as you hit a buried nail/screw. Always good to have a bunch of drill bits in the sizes you use most often.

Associate
Anyone know if these bits are any decent?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282827049828

DIY once in a bluemoon! the gold is just a colour to make your eyes light up! but the drill bits will go blunt probably on there own!
Ones up top right are for wood if drilling MDF/Chip board/Hardwoods don't pressure it too much and left it cool as will make bit very hot and blunt in no time as they won't be made out of tool steel
But of price is ok as plenty of bits but always make sure using right bit for each screw ie Pz2 V PH2 Pozi has little rib in between the large ones while Philips/PH is just a cross Hardwall screws black ones use on plaster board are PH if mix use them they will strip in no time

Associate
Interesting - they have a impact wrench with stupid amounts on torque.
I’ve heard that Bosch products have had their protection cut in before and reduced power.

Blue bosch used to be the Nuts! but like most things they took production to the far east and quality fell through the floor as bosch 9" Angle grinders was the holy grail was in Tool place when looking at Chop saws guy there was saying the gearboxs just burn out they sold one guy came back pretty soon with it so they gave him another was same so they tried in shop ! Gave him an Hitachi instead.
Hitachi.Panasonic great stuff pana's impact driver is the dogs doo doo's. Fein is Ace.Also Festool.Ive the Fein Multi tool things like something posessed once up and running what can't you do with it?
Was funny at a trade day guy was demonstrating them was cutting heads off nails etc so some wag squeaked up "My makita will do that and cheaper" So Demo guys goes WHACK but your makita won't knock them in though as he smacks the nail into the wood further with head of the multi tool!

Reasonbly cheaper impact driver would go for the Makita but not Screwfix type places etc! If you buy power tools from likes of Screwfix/B&Q etc they are made for them to there price often badged out of cheaper parts they have lesser batteries and warranty is with Screwfix etc as the serial/part numbers come back to Screwfix/B&Q etc

Friend needed a router went out and bought a Trend one "Euroline" form B&Q when had it all out there is me think mm i know that unit!!! Ha Ha it's a Nu tool unit made in china! to trend sort of spec! and NU tool which takes in Power devil and others are neighbours to Screwfix/B&Q up on the A! in south yorks mind it's been ok!

Trend kit is good ive the tool/bit folder drill bits/screwdriver bits/flats/masonary/50 odd bits in it

General duty drill would be a 2KG size corded as cordless is ok if have the back up mind getting better! but for most things that's perfect esp if drilling into brick/concrete as masonary drilling kills precussion drills like cordless there ok for a bit of drilling into celcon/brick odd times.

Associate
If your doing decking you will probably need deeper than a 65mm cut on post timbers so bare in mind with chop saws.
Also a decent SDS drill comes in usefull as often there is something to break out but also drill into/through.
Plus you can also use an SDS to 6.35 bit so can use for screwing in fixings.
The kit from Lidls is pretty good they have a corded 2kg and cordless drill and jigsaw friend uses the jigsaw often when doing kitchens pretty impressed.

The Kamasa boxes of Hex bits are good don't chew up to much like some.

Associate
They will be fine for DIY, but I wouldn't call them "decent" as Von Haus is just an importer of cheap Chinese tools. They will do fine for odd jobs around the house. The smaller drill bits will snap for fun though. I tend to buy packs of 10 x 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm drill bits for pre drilling as even the more expensive ones like to snap as soon as you hit a buried nail/screw. Always good to have a bunch of drill bits in the sizes you use most often.

What about some Makita bits?

Soldato
What about some Makita bits?

It depends which ones as Makita don't actually manufacture any drill bits themselves. As Tucker said, single drill bits rebranded by companies like Dewalt or Makita will usually be decent, but these cheap, big sets are usually aimed at the DIY market and as such will have been sourced from China and won't be as good quality as a drill bit manufactured in Germany for example.

These diy sets will still work fine though. They will get the job done, but just won't stand up to the daily use a tradesman would put them through and they are priced to reflect that. Theres no point spending £100+ on a large set of quality drill bits when you'll only use 2 of of them to put a shelf up :D. The Von Haus set you posted should be fine for what you need.

Associate
It depends which ones as Makita don't actually manufacture any drill bits themselves. As Tucker said, single drill bits rebranded by companies like Dewalt or Makita will usually be decent, but these cheap, big sets are usually aimed at the DIY market and as such will have been sourced from China and won't be as good quality as a drill bit manufactured in Germany for example.

These diy sets will still work fine though. They will get the job done, but just won't stand up to the daily use a tradesman would put them through and they are priced to reflect that. Theres no point spending £100+ on a large set of quality drill bits when you'll only use 2 of of them to put a shelf up :D. The Von Haus set you posted should be fine for what you need.

Lol yeah I won't be doing anything major cheers :D

fez

fez

Caporegime
Trouble with these sets is that they are generally crap quality and the bits that you actually use break quite quickly while the majority of them sit in the box un-used. On the flip side, they do cover most eventualities so they are useful to have just to give you some flexibility.

Associate
So I'm currently a Ryobi one+ user and I like their tools for the home diy'er that I'am but I was a little reluctant to pay out for another impact driver for 70 quid minimum for my father to use when he come over to give me a hand doing all the renovation work. He doesn't own one and didn't want the expense of buying into a product range. So I picked up a cheap impact and charger and battery from Aldi for him and have to say I'm impressed with it, it doesn't have the same nm of my ryobi but claims 180nm and while testing it my ryobi would start impacting before the aldi ferrex driver but in really tough wood it would lag behind the ryobi. The Charger is claimed to be a rapid charger and it does the job but does feel very cheap, the battery i picked up was their 20v/40v that can go in many different tools. I opened up the battery to take a look and it does use LG cells as claimed, its 5ah in 20v mode or 2.5ah in 40v (only the lawn mower uses 40v i think) All in all for a complete driver, charger and 5ah battery for 65 quid i think its good value, and it will stop my dad chucking around and damaging my ryobi tools.

Back
Top Bottom