Plusnet Discussion Thread

Soldato
If you place the order Plusnet will handle everything.

Before you do sign up with Plusnet, ring BT and see if they'll do you a deal to stay with them. They may match the cost closely enough to make switching pointless.

It'll take longer than 3 days (especially with the weekend tomorrow) for anything to happen if you sign up today.

Soldato
Hi Everyone,

My 18 month contract with BT should end on the 18th of this month (18 months from 18 September 17), the package is Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited.

I'm paying a horrendous amount and would like to make the switch to PN. I was going to take the Unlimited Fibre extra, I'm paying over double for what I have with BT at the moment and the £50 reward card is a nice extra.

From what I understand I can place my order through PN website and they will handle all the transfer side of things with BT which is great. My question is if I placed the order today, are they quick enough that I would hit some early contract termination charges with BT? Or am I better off waiting the 3 days until my contract with BT officially ends and placing the order then?

Use Quidco/TCB and no, you are not going to be changed over inside 3 days. BT will however likely reduce your price quite significantly if you ask them.

Soldato
Use Quidco/TCB and no, you are not going to be changed over inside 3 days. BT will however likely reduce your price quite significantly if you ask them.
If you place the order Plusnet will handle everything.

Before you do sign up with Plusnet, ring BT and see if they'll do you a deal to stay with them. They may match the cost closely enough to make switching pointless.

It'll take longer than 3 days (especially with the weekend tomorrow) for anything to happen if you sign up today.

Thanks chaps, I'll give BT a ring today and see if there is anything they can do to get within the price of PN. If not looks like the move will be very straightforward, thanks for the help.

Caporegime
Swapped to Plusnet from Sky and had a few problems, firstly they didn't send me the equipment to connect and the Sky Q router is locked down so had to go and buy my own. Secondly Xbox live keeps cutting out.

Just had an email from them, 14 days in, advising me of their quoted line speed and actual current line speed. It's a straight up lie, they'e saying they quoted me 25-39Mb and that:

Current line speed: 37Mb
This is a measure of the actual line speed you are now receiving based on the product you have taken.

Complete BS, my router is synced at 27.3Mb.

Soldato
I’m sure they’d have sent a replacement router out if the first one went missing.

What did you buy instead?

Is that 23.7 what the router is reporting or the result from running Internet speed tests?

Is that roughly the same speed you had with Sky?

Associate
Hi all. Im making the switch from BT to plusnet as BT couldnt quite match the price of plusnet plus i should get a £60 reward card and no activation fee.
Just wondering how many who have done the same found much difference between the routers?
Currently i have the BT smarthub (home hub 6) and its fine but doesnt stretch wifi all over my maisonette, i lose it in the kitchen and find it only goes a bit further than my really old sky router. I have seen that the one hub is basically the home hub 5. What are the main differences?

Soldato
Hi all. Im making the switch from BT to plusnet as BT couldnt quite match the price of plusnet plus i should get a £60 reward card and no activation fee.
Just wondering how many who have done the same found much difference between the routers?
Currently i have the BT smarthub (home hub 6) and its fine but doesnt stretch wifi all over my maisonette, i lose it in the kitchen and find it only goes a bit further than my really old sky router. I have seen that the one hub is basically the home hub 5. What are the main differences?

Keep the HH 6, it's a much better unit.

Associate
Sounds good and hopefully easy. It seems many on here have had issues with the one hub with WiFi drop out. I'm surprised as I thought the HH5 was meant to be a decent router, evidently not as good as the HH6. Staying with the HH6 will my WiFi password and network name stay the same or change to what it should be on the one hub?

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Evening all,

How are plus net compared to BT/Sky? I'm moving to a new flat and looking at a new provider, we have used Sky in the past (5 years ago) and looking at Just broadband with evening/weekends - no TV addons.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Thanks all,

I have been reading about it on the forum and also on other website and can't seem to go wrong with them so might just bite the bullet. (ofc ill go via Topcashback too)

Also any recommendations on an all in one (adsl/modem/router/vpn/parental controls) hardware to replace the Plusnet one :D

tia..

Associate
Used them at my last place, didn't use the supplied Hub used a Netgear R7800. Had no complaints with the Internet, synced at the same speeds as BT. Went through Topcashback and got £85 back no issue when service went live.

Associate
Well after paying for a years rental upfront, and then ringing after a fortnight to check on progress, it's taken a month for Plusnet to finally tell me that they never put the original order through (despite taking my monies). How can they **** up such a simple thing, awful customer service, so gone elsewhere.

Soldato
Been with them since late 2013, have a static IP and use a Vigor 2860n that I will keep running providing Draytek keep releasing firmware updates. Few minor issues but otherwise all fine, expect I will stay the same until FTTP or similar is available at my address.

Man of Honour
Plusnet just called to remind me that my contract is up, they've offered Fibre Extra (which is what I am currently on) for £27 a month including line rental matching what Sky can offer. The benefit for me apart from the static IP, is that I get to watch BT Sport on Sky for £12.49 a month (although that will be half price for the first 6 months) whereas it's far more expensive to add it onto Sky going to BT directly. The downside is that I can't stream it online or watch it on the app but I can live without that. I think the closest I can get is the BT Unlimited 2 offer with BT Sports but that would work out more expensive as it comes into £54.99 a month and PlusNet will be £39.49. I guess I get the £110 gift card but I really don't want to go with BT as my ISP.

This will be my 3rd or 4th year with PlusNet and I've been very happy with them. I know I could probably save a few £ here and there if I looked around but I don't think I can get a better deal taking BT Sport on Sky into account. FWIW I tend to watch every PL and Championship game that's televised so it's not something I would be prepared to be without.

Edit, PlusNet have sent me the confirmation and it's 12 months only, I've asked them to confirm this as 18 months was mentioned on the call.

I can get a £110 gift card with BT, plus £105 cashback with TCC although it's an 18 month contract. That said I'm not really comfortable switching to them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom