Tabletop Warhammer?

Caporegime
Well, first major use of the airbrush went...OK. I'd pre-shaded my chimera but looks like i put the layers on too thick for the basecoat. Lost the vast vast majority of that pre-shading. Nuts. However, lovely even and smooth basecoat.

Soldato
Want to have a go at painting after a long break, but my Citadel paints need reviving.

What's the best thing to add, water? Or some X-20A thinner?

Soldato
How old and how many to revive?

It depends how dried out they are, if not too bad a little water will work, or ideally some acrylic medium if they are more dried.

If they are very old and knackered you might be better of just binning them and getting new paints. Really all depends.

If you do have to get new have a look through the Vajello range, not saying they are definitely better but I use them a long with some GW paints.

Soldato
I planned to get started but that hasn't happened yet.

What are peoples opinions on wet vs dry palette?
I've got a home made wet palette from the last time I was painting, but I've completely forgotten everything.
Can you still use acrylic thinner on a wet palette when mixing the paint?
Does a dry palette using thinner a better option?

The stuff I have is X-20A thinner.
I also have some Winsor & Newton Acrylic Flow Improver, for love nor money, I can't remember why I bought it.

Soldato
Yea I use a home made wet pallet, I find it good for short term, few hours etc, or say a session of painting, stops your paint drying out on the pallet.

But yea as above, whilst it'll keep the paint from drying out for days/weeks/longer? The paint does go all weird, for me it thins out too much.

Soldato
I'm going to a small club for a 1k point game on Sunday,

2 potential opponents are tau or necrons. Any advice in how to deal with them?

I'm playing bas chaos space marines. Would you mind critiquing my list?

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [56 PL, 999pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: Alpha Legion

+ HQ [15 PL, 281pts] +

Daemon Prince with Wings [9 PL, 183pts]: Daemon-bound Power, Intoxicating Elixir, Malefic talon [10pts], Slaanesh, Warlord, Warp bolter [3pts]

Sorcerer [6 PL, 98pts]: Bolt pistol, Force stave [8pts], No Chaos Mark

+ Troops [14 PL, 205pts] +

Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 50pts]: 9x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun [45pts], No Chaos Mark
. Cultist Champion [5pts]: Autogun

Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 50pts]: 9x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun [45pts], No Chaos Mark
. Cultist Champion [5pts]: Autogun

Chaos Space Marines [8 PL, 105pts]: Icon of Vengeance [5pts], No Chaos Mark
. Aspiring Champion [24pts]: Bolt pistol, Combi-plasma [11pts]
. 4x Marine w/ Boltgun [52pts]
. Marine w/ special weapon [24pts]: Plasma gun [11pts]

+ Elites [9 PL, 152pts] +

Khorne Berzerkers [9 PL, 152pts]: 7x Chainsword and bolt pistol [112pts], Icon of Wrath [10pts]
. Berzerker Champion [30pts]: Plasma pistol [5pts], Power fist [9pts]

+ Heavy Support [14 PL, 281pts] +

Havocs [7 PL, 151pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. Aspiring Champion [20pts]: Chainsword, Flamer [6pts]
. Havoc w/ autocannon [24pts]: Autocannon [10pts]
. Havoc w/ lascannon [39pts]: Lascannon [25pts]
. Havoc w/ missile launcher [34pts]: Missile launcher [20pts]
. Havoc w/ reaper chaincannon [34pts]: Reaper chaincannon [20pts]

Venomcrawler [7 PL, 130pts]: Mark of Slaanesh

+ Dedicated Transport [4 PL, 80pts] +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 80pts]: Combi-bolter [2pts], Combi-bolter [2pts], Havoc launcher [6pts], No Chaos Mark

++ Total: [56 PL, 999pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Soldato

Firstly I am far from a master tactician at 40k so just the obvious stuff.

With Necron's watch out for their reanimation protocols, so you need to focus squads at a time, if you leave some alive they jsut come back. Particularly watch for hordes of Necron warriors, dont take them for granted, they can actually put out some decent amount of damage as well. The other ones to watch out for are the destroyers they are pretty nasty. Their larger vehicles through, doom scythes, triarch stalkers are little hit and miss.

I know little about Tau, just to shoot the shield drones before you shoot what they are guarding, otherwise I cant help.

I take it the Rhino is for the berzerkers? Also by far the best setup for berzerkers right now is the chainaxe/chainsword combo, I appreciate if they are already modelled/painted now that might not be an option. Otherwise your list looks okay for 1k points, I have no idea what those vemoncrawlers are like in game though.

Soldato
yeah. basically I've used the shadowspear chaos marines with chainswords and swapped the heads for bezerker heads. and added another 5 from another marine box. my theory is 9 marines and a champ with ill get 60+ attacks per turn so with that amount of dice the +1 strength from the chainaxes will be largely irrelevant as they are already s5. the rhino is of course to get them up the board faster.

the bezerkers combined with the venomcrawler and a buffed demon prince @ s9 with 8 attacks is gonna bring the hurt, the cultist and marine squad to take objectives and the havocs provide long range from the back.

as for psychic powers I'm considering warptime for the prince to try and get a t1 charge. and make the sorcerer nurgle. for miasma of pestilence and prescience as a support roll

Last edited:
Soldato
AHH yea very nice, those are miles better than the standard Berzerkers.

I was given some as a gift, so I use regular although I put the chainaxes on. I also seen people use the AoS chaos blood warriors and kit bashed them with berzerkers they look very good also.

I might... One day do it myself, but it'll end up being an expensive bunch of berzerkers one you've purchased all the kits (pluscthec xtra chainaxes you'll need) so well see.

Soldato
This is my WIP 40k chaos army list.

Its not super competative (soul grinders are terrible for example, chaos spawn, I mean lol) however I try and make well rounded narrative style armies and I always base my armies on what models I like the look of.

(in the spoiler)

The stuff in bold is what I still need to purchase. The rest I pretty much have all painted and ready to go. You'll also notice the spare points, I like to keep it a little flexible until I'm all done.

Chaos Army v2
***Black Legion***
Batallion:
HQ:
Chaos lord (plasma pistol & power axe) 84
Sourcerer 90

Troops:
10x Chaos Cultists (heavy stubber) 52
10x Chaos Cultists (Flamer) 56
10x Chaos Cultists 50

Heavy Support:
3x Obliterators 195

Detachment Total: 527

***Renegade***
Outrider Detachment
HQ:
Chaos Lord Jump Pack (lightning claws) 105

Elites:
7x Khorne Berzerkers (7x chain axe) 119
1x Berzerker Champion (approx 25 full wargear - TBC not assembled)
7x Khorne Berzerkers (7x chain axe) 119
1x Berzerker Champion (approx 25 full wargear - TBC not assembled)

Fast Attack:
5x Raptors (2x Meltagun, plasma pistol, power fist) 117
5x Raptors (2x Meltagun, plasma pistol, power fist) 117
1x Chaos Spawn 25

Dedicated transport
Rhino 72
Rhino 72

Detachment Total: 792

***Khorne Daemons***

Patrol Detachment
HQ:
Deamon Prince 180 (wings)
Daemon Prince 180 (wings)

Troops:
10x Bloodletters 95

Heavy Support:
Soul Grinder 180

Detachment total: 615

ARMY TOTAL: 1934
(spare points 66)

Soldato
Just use battlescribe. All the points have been updated on that. Very good app

Oblits stats have been improved somewhat too. Whether it's worth the points increase time will tell. I was planning on fielding them today. Maybe another time. When I'm playing a bigger game

Back
Top Bottom