Suggestions for depreciation resistant fun/interesting car @ up to £8k

Caporegime
There's a big difference between scene tax and classic car status and rarity. Its based on what I think is rubbish and what is good mostly.

Lotus Carltons getting away from the police and almost being banned, classic, worth having historically, very cool. (Not my kind of car though)

Funny looking slow Toyota that was in some weird cartoon that weebi losers love, scene tax.

But the kind of car you'd love to own if you had ridiculous amount of money. They're just so cool.

Soldato
Re s2000, whilst it's likely to be fairly resistant to depreciation, I don't find mine all that fun. It's nothing like the older dc2 purely due to the extra weight. The brakes aren't great either. It's still a good car, but having owned a dc2 and ep3, I find it the least fun as an overall ownership experience.

Soldato
Are there any websites that monitor depreciation and appreciation on cars?

I've noticed the EP3 Type R's are starting to climb a little now, for a decent one. It's sifting through the ones that have been in the wrong hands though.

Soldato
AE86 was popular and cherished long before Initial D was around. Not fair to say it's just weebs who love them. On the whole I would say there are far more twin cam fans than there are for Carltons.

Associate
OP
Ironic this thread got bumped back up today... having looked at all sorts of cars I'm still no closer to making a decision. Infact so much so I think I'm going to buy a fun runabout for a couple of months while i resolve house purchase things and a number of other stress inducers that have come up recently and then revisit this a couple of months further down the line.

Shortlist is still mostly 335i e92 bmws (manual msport requirement makes them few/far between) and 8P Audi S3 I'd like to have a drive of - the 8L I had was far too boring but I'm told the 8P is a little more fun - I'm reserving judgement.

In the meantime I'm looking at EP3's/Mini Cooper S's/Mk5 Golf GTI's all at the bottom of their market but might be able to find a good one to runabout in for a few months.

Edit: The thread was always more about being resistant to depreciation rather than actually expecting a car to appreciate

Soldato
Got to say, e92 335i in stock form is not going to provide too much excitement. Engine is unexciting on the stock tune, suspension is mediocre, steering is too heavy, open diff is inexcusable.

Associate
OP
Got to say, e92 335i in stock form is not going to provide too much excitement. Engine is unexciting on the stock tune, suspension is mediocre, steering is too heavy, open diff is inexcusable.

Was worried someone might say that, I actually tried to view a 335i at a BMW Dealer in bham (£9k for a 2006 car with 30k miles iirc - SE spec mind, more to get a feel for the car) but despite calling, putting up with a terrible sales pitch and then driving over an hour to get there was told on arrival it was infact being prepped and couldn't be driven.

Associate
Thanks for the replies guys, I think you've all run into the same problem i have which is just too much choice for my given criteria :D

Budget wise, anything I add over/above the £8k will come out of new furniture fund which I can't really do at the moment as I'm literally moving house in 3 weeks.

S2000's are awesome cars but I've had 3 so time to try something new :) Had a 3L Z4 before also but just didn't gel with it. Gave some brief thought to a Z4 3.0si but didn't enjoy the last Z4 so I'm put off. Boxster is still a consideration but shame the 987 S isn't in budget.

DC5's I still can't get over the fact it's a much older car for the money as some of the other options and the perception that comes with it (I get a car allowance through work, technically most stuff of the age I'm looking at falls foul of the rules but the DC5 is most likely to be looked at I would imagine...)

335i I'm still tempted - there's a manual 1 owner car with full bmw service history for sale which is always a massive plus point, bit of a trek away though if I decide the car isn't for me...

650i still tempting, though the £570 a year tax is hard to stomach, again not much near me annoyingly so cant just have a quick poke around one.

A BMW 650I on a 2005 plate tax is £325.00, why i bought one made in that year as i don't think i could stomach £500+ on tax a year.

Caporegime
Ironic this thread got bumped back up today... having looked at all sorts of cars I'm still no closer to making a decision. Infact so much so I think I'm going to buy a fun runabout for a couple of months while i resolve house purchase things and a number of other stress inducers that have come up recently and then revisit this a couple of months further down the line.

Shortlist is still mostly 335i e92 bmws (manual msport requirement makes them few/far between) and 8P Audi S3 I'd like to have a drive of - the 8L I had was far too boring but I'm told the 8P is a little more fun - I'm reserving judgement.

In the meantime I'm looking at EP3's/Mini Cooper S's/Mk5 Golf GTI's all at the bottom of their market but might be able to find a good one to runabout in for a few months.

Edit: The thread was always more about being resistant to depreciation rather than actually expecting a car to appreciate

2005 Audi S4, 4.2L V8 ?

Don
but I'm told the 8P is a little more fun - I'm reserving judgement.

Having had a 2.0tfsi A3 8P, I wouldn't bother with the S3 - it will be quick but boring.

I've had an R56 cooper s and I'd rather have that if it's for fun, far more involving on the twisty stuff

Soldato
They are cheap because of the timing chain issue on the old Audi V8. People won't touch them because if (when) it needs replacing it's a 6 grand bill. Which is a shame.

I looked into these when I make my big lists of potential car purchases, and it sounded like a ton of trouble. Even if you changed it yourself. Appalling design for a metal chain to be a weak link.

Caporegime
They are cheap because of the timing chain issue on the old Audi V8. People won't touch them because if (when) it needs replacing it's a 6 grand bill. Which is a shame.

I looked into these when I make my big lists of potential car purchases, and it sounded like a ton of trouble. Even if you changed it yourself. Appalling design for a metal chain to be a weak link.

Lucky I found one for you with it already done :D

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904026520916

Back
Top Bottom