MegaDrive Genesis Mini available on Sep.19 worldwide (NTSC + PAL; $70, $90 with 2 controllers) - M2

Soldato
the problem with a lot of these new retro consoles is they don't scale well on new tv's. playing them on a modern tv is like having cateracts in your eyes. i'd much rather have a proper upscaled version with all the fancy stuff you can do on pc to make them playable. graphics are a huge part of it.

i couldn't play any of these old games. i'm not interested in them in the slightest. i went to a gaming convention a few years back and they had all the games there including new games and old. goldeneye was there as were most classics and honestly i couldn't play it after 30 seconds it just gave me awful thoughts about a game i loved. i was literally confused at how i played it for so long and so often. the controls felt awful, the graphics were so bad i cannot remember them being that bad. same goes for all old gen consoles. as soon as a new console comes out i can't play the old ones again. so i usually give them away to nearby childrens hospital including all the games, etc.

i know some people love them but i think they are cashing in on retro being in fashion. i bet most people play them for a week then they sit there gathering dust.

There are limiting factors for sure but I am still sure people would buy it. even a multi console that they could sell master system/mega drive/saturn games on. Potentially Dreamcast too.

Caporegime
There are limiting factors for sure but I am still sure people would buy it. even a multi console that they could sell master system/mega drive/saturn games on. Potentially Dreamcast too.

multi consoles already exist. they were what were also being used in conjuction with original consoles at the convention.

there were consoles that could take any controller and any cartridge from any console. i thought those were extremely impressive.

Soldato
multi consoles already exist. they were what were also being used in conjuction with original consoles at the convention.

there were consoles that could take any controller and any cartridge from any console. i thought those were extremely impressive.

That would be really good, with an expansive library I would almost certainly pick one up myself.

Caporegime
Pretty gash game selection tbh, needs the other 30 to be decent to bail it out.

I'm assuming the non JP version will have a completely different lineup?

Associate
I would rather see them make it just big enough and multi-region support to be able to use original game cartridges on top of the pre-installed games. That would set it apart from all the other "classic mini" consoles.

Soldato
Where is Shinobi?! Sonic 1, missing tons of games.
That was the Jap list posted.

The US and EU has a slightly different list of 10 games announced so far.

• Ecco the Dolphin
  • Castlevania: Bloodlines
  • Space Harrier 2
  • Shining Force
  • Dr. Robotnik's Mean Machine
  • ToeJam & Earl
  • Comix Zone
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Altered Beast
  • Gunstar Heroes.

Soldato
10 more games announced:

• Earthworm Jim
  • Sonic 2
  • Shinobi 3
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Super Fantasy Zone
  • Landstalker
  • Thunder Force 3
  • Contra Hard Corps
  • Castle of Illusion
  • World of Illusion

Soldato
10 more games announced:

• Earthworm Jim
  • Sonic 2
  • Shinobi 3
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Super Fantasy Zone
  • Landstalker
  • Thunder Force 3
  • Contra Hard Corps
  • Castle of Illusion
  • World of Illusion

Not bad but missing some must haves for me. The Mega SG is seriously tempting, will wait to see if the official mini can be hacked and play as faithfully as the SG though :p

Associate
40 games so should probably cater to most people, never had a mega drive growing up so dunno if itll have the same nostalgia feeling as my SNES classic does but I did play it a fair bit at friends houses, etc. Might be worth a buy anyway to add to the collection.

Soldato
I want Sega to release the full size original Mega Drive again (but with wireless pads) and start selling cartridges, they could add WiFi and an online store so you could buy digital but I bet there would be a lot of people who would buy physical carts (as long as they are priced right).

Analog and other firms have shown there is a market for devices which play the carts, my issue is getting hold of the games, I don't want to be buying knockoffs from eBay or paying £100 for what is considered a rare game and which also makes no money for Sega - just the scalper... sorry seller.

Soldato
moderately tempted as i was a megadrive kid as a boy and there's quite a few games on the list that i once loved. The main one i loved was street fighter 2 SCE and it's great to see that on the list. BUT ...you kind of needed the six button pads for that, and the mini is only shipping with 3 button pads :(

also, it's just a pain that the pads have to be wired.

Back
Top Bottom