Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Square Enix Reveal new Deus Ex)

Soldato
Actually, I must replay this now that (hopefully!) the game-breaking issues on release are mostly resolved. From what I recall, it looked like a really good game hiding underneath all of the broken, broken, performance issues. Prague was a wonderful piece of design but the game was a stuttering mess on release, there seemed to be so many unnecessary graphical options that killed performance with little or no visual benefit to having them on. It took about a day for me just to get it performing properly, the default settings provided only broken underperformance. How can they spend so long on a game and release it in that state? It’s like they didn't consider the end-user at all. They absolutely killed their own sales with the failed launch – and unforgiveable performance issues (even on high-end hardware).

Such a shame that so many will never get to play great levels like Prague and The Pallisade Bank – that’s actually an amazing map, beautiful and epic.

Soldato
Actually, I must replay this now that (hopefully!) the game-breaking issues on release are mostly resolved. From what I recall, it looked like a really good game hiding underneath all of the broken, broken, performance issues. Prague was a wonderful piece of design but the game was a stuttering mess on release, there seemed to be so many unnecessary graphical options that killed performance with little or no visual benefit to having them on. It took about a day for me just to get it performing properly, the default settings provided only broken underperformance. How can they spend so long on a game and release it in that state? It’s like they didn't consider the end-user at all. They absolutely killed their own sales with the failed launch – and unforgiveable performance issues (even on high-end hardware).

Such a shame that so many will never get to play great levels like Prague and The Pallisade Bank – that’s actually an amazing map, beautiful and epic.

I'm at the The Pallisade Bank in the game and it's definitely impressive.

In fact, I think the whole of Prague is one of the most impressive level designs I have seen. The whole futuristic design seems very believable. We are 10 years away from this possible future, and it does make me wonder whether we will see something like this. I guess it also depends on whether the world's economy isn't heading towards another global recession, as something like that could knock some technological progress off.

Man of Honour
I'm at the The Pallisade Bank in the game and it's definitely impressive.

In fact, I think the whole of Prague is one of the most impressive level designs I have seen. The whole futuristic design seems very believable. We are 10 years away from this possible future, and it does make me wonder whether we will see something like this. I guess it also depends on whether the world's economy isn't heading towards another global recession, as something like that could knock some technological progress off.

Prague was cool and the bank was seriously impressive too. Actually, so were some of the later locations. They really nailed the level design on this game. A crazy number of hidden locations.

Permabanned
Only thing I remember about this game was the horrible performance, played all the previous games but this one I lost interest in fairly quickly, I thought the level design was pretty bad.

Soldato

Only thing I remember about this game was the horrible performance, played all the previous games but this one I lost interest in fairly quickly, I thought the level design was pretty bad.

Played it on launch since I'm a huge fan, even got the keyboard for it (Razer's) but I had no performance issues with an RX 480. Some settings are a mess (contact hardening shadows for one), and others are simply very demanding (MSAA), but I think the issue was more with it being a really well done DX12 title and with which Nvidia cards, esp older ones, struggled. People just weren't used to games not being laser-focused optimized for those cards.

Even today it's one of the best titles for >4K showcases, the resolution scaling is tremendous for the world as a whole even though some aspects are wonky looking (like character models, or subpar mo-cap). Phenomenal mGPU scaling as well, it's a treat having Crossfire/Nvlink for once. Usually, a lot of games do it the other way, esp. console titles - they focus a LOT of resources on giving the best looking character models but neglect the world and have lower res textures, lower draw distances etc.

No matter though, the game's atmosphere is incredible and worth a playthrough at the very least.

Associate
Recently just played this game for the first time. Sure it received some bad press for dodgy DLC but I thought it was really good game. Levels are really cool and immersive. Would highly recommend. Ran it stable 120 fps on my 1080ti and 3440x1440p. Some setting really tanked the perf so toned down some bits. Still looks really good today. I did not find the story as bad as everyone made out as well.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Recently just played this game for the first time. Sure it received some bad press for dodgy DLC but I thought it was really good game. Levels are really cool and immersive. Would highly recommend. Ran it stable 120 fps on my 1080ti and 3440x1440p. Some setting really tanked the perf so toned down some bits. Still looks really good today. I did not find the story as bad as everyone made out as well.
It is bad relative to the original game, or I would argue any Deus Ex game.

If you don’t take them into account then the story was not bad compared to most other games. Marchenko was meh at best, it is probably why people thought the game would not end there as he did not seem worthy as the final boss or final anything. Oh and finding his kill switch lying around like that under a desk. Lol.

Basically had they got better story writers in, the game would have been much better.

Associate
Oh and finding his kill switch lying around like that under a desk. Lol.
Is this the same one to rescue the people at the end - I did find that bit annoying as had to go back to get proper ending.

I picked them all up a few years ago in steam sale. I played human evolution recently too but could not get into the first one even with the revision mod. Maybe I will try again soon. I'm probably not going to bother with IW or the fall. I would agree with your point though it's relative to other games.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Is this the same one to rescue the people at the end - I did find that bit annoying as had to go back to get proper ending.

I picked them all up a few years ago in steam sale. I played human evolution recently too but could not get into the first one even with the revision mod. Maybe I will try again soon. I'm probably not going to bother with IW or the fall. I would agree with your point though it's relative to other games.
Yes, when rescuing people there is a room where you find his kill switch under a table. Not even a safe or anything. Made no sense. It would have made a lot more sense if his kill switch was at palisade bank!

Soldato
I enjoyed the game but it's paced poorly and adding to that it's not that long considering the other games. I thought the story was about to ramp up and go to the next level but it just kind of ended. It feels like a movie where they decided to split it into 2 at the last second.

I love HR but got bored of this quickly and gave up on it. I found that helicopter part quite annoying given I like stealth play. Ended up having to go Leroy Jenkins to do it which annoyed me

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I love HR but got bored of this quickly and gave up on it. I found that helicopter part quite annoying given I like stealth play. Ended up having to go Leroy Jenkins to do it which annoyed me
I never stealth. I want to, but it is not as satisfying as going in all guns blazing :p

Soldato
Played it on launch since I'm a huge fan, even got the keyboard for it (Razer's) but I had no performance issues with an RX 480. Some settings are a mess (contact hardening shadows for one), and others are simply very demanding (MSAA), but I think the issue was more with it being a really well done DX12 title and with which Nvidia cards, esp older ones, struggled. People just weren't used to games not being laser-focused optimized for those cards.

Even today it's one of the best titles for >4K showcases, the resolution scaling is tremendous for the world as a whole even though some aspects are wonky looking (like character models, or subpar mo-cap). Phenomenal mGPU scaling as well, it's a treat having Crossfire/Nvlink for once. Usually, a lot of games do it the other way, esp. console titles - they focus a LOT of resources on giving the best looking character models but neglect the world and have lower res textures, lower draw distances etc.

No matter though, the game's atmosphere is incredible and worth a playthrough at the very least.

Yes I do remember enjoying the gameworld, Prague was amazing, the Pallisade Bank level is actually epic and will definitely do a full replay (much better than buying a new game that probably will not perform well for a few months anyway!) but I was on an AMD Fury at launch and the game still felt broken at default settings. I will never forget it, I was looking forward to this game for ages, the first level in Dubai looked like it was beautiful, if only it were not in broken slideshow format! This killed them in the reviewes (and killed my enjoyment of a game I so wanted to love). It was clearly not only broken on Nvidia cards, although performance was also poor there. The default settings were horribly wrong and it took way too long to fix them. I will never understand how on earth they could get so much right in a game (the content is actually great) and get that bit so wrong - it killed their own sales, and possibly the series for now.

I actually liked the story, that psychologist lady [what's her name again?] was great, looking forward ot seeing her again :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yes I do remember enjoying the gameworld, Prague was amazing, the Pallisade Bank level is actually epic and will definitely do a full replay (much better than buying a new game that probably will not perform well for a few months anyway!) but I was on an AMD Fury at launch and the game still felt broken at default settings. I will never forget it, I was looking forward to this game for ages, the first level in Dubai looked like it was beautiful, if only it were not in broken slideshow format! This killed them in the reviewes (and killed my enjoyment of a game I so wanted to love). It was clearly not only broken on Nvidia cards, although performance was also poor there. The default settings were horribly wrong and it took way too long to fix them. I will never understand how on earth they could get so much right in a game (the content is actually great) and get that bit so wrong - it killed their own sales, and possibly the series for now.

I actually liked the story, that psychologist lady [what's her name again?] was great, looking forward ot seeing her again :)
I had a heavily overclocked 1070 at the time and managed to play it 4K on release. Just needed to turn off some silly settings that tanked fps like contact shadow hardening or something like that.

The lady you mention was very good, we needed more of that in the game, more Council of Five/Illuminati, Gunther, Joseph Manderley etc. Her name is Elizabeth DuClare btw ;)

Soldato
I'm still on Pallisade Bank. I feel that I have totally got side-tracked from my objective, as I have ended up trying to explore everything in no particular order. I can't even remember what the objective was. I think I was supposed to obtain a calibrater - or something for it, as I failed to obtain it without any strings attached.

Back
Top Bottom