BP Ultimate over Shell V-Power (Diesel) ?

Caporegime
I’ve been chatting with a workmate who’s got a 1.6tdci Focus Titanium X diesel like mine, his is a hatchback mines the estate, his a 62 plate on 165k mines a 61 plate on 111k, I bought mine a couple of months back and we decided to compare economy over time.

I know mines heavier given it’s the estate but it’s done 54k less miles and has a full and upto date Ford history, his has no history at all and he said it’s not been serviced since he’s had it (2+ years) so I’d expect mine to be at least the same if not slightly better on fuel.

He’s currently averaging 55mpg, I’m getting 48mpg - checked by brimming and dividing fuel added by miles covered since last refill rather than the optimistic fuel computer readings - we both do predominantly town driving (his OBC average speed is 20mph as is mine)

I was puzzled by this, on talking further with him he said his was a lot worse on Supermarket fuels and he only gets good mpg from BP Ultimate, to be fair there is a sticker on the fuel filler saying Ford recommend BP fuels, I’ve been using Shell V Power diesel since I bought it (my old e38 was a good couple of MPG better on V Power petrol so I continued using Shell when I got this)

The obvious answer is to switch to BP Ultimate and see if I notice any change which I suppose I’ll try I’m just surprised there is so much apparent difference between two supposedly premium fuels.

Of course this is hugely subjective, he might have a wholly different driving style to me (I consistently better his trucks MPG in the office league table so doubt that) equally there may be some issue with mine that I’m unaware of.

From what I recall my partners old 12 plate tdci Focus averaged around 55mpg also but fairly sure she put whatever fuel was available in and didn’t stick to any particular brand, she had a longer commute to work as well whereas mine rarely gets a run of any distance.

TLDR - anybody noticed a variance between using Shell V Power and BP Ultimate diesel?

Caporegime
just because yours has done 50k less doesn't mean much tbh it's likely his done longer journeys and it weighs less.

it's not a fair comparison. just use whatever fuel you want. it's a ford focus estate not a focus st or cosworth

Soldato
I notice no difference in economy running supermarket fuel or V-Power Diesel in my MG ZT and use it purely for its cleaning properties. Over 400 miles I'd estimate 250 of them are motorway, the rest around town.

Soldato
Bp ultimate diesel has a higher cetane rating than shell vpower diesel and I’m sure the recommendation of bp by ford was marketing hype.

I have used both vpower and bp ultimate diesel and with the bp fuel being 5p more /l I didn’t notice any benefit in more mpg or smoother running.

There are too many variables to consider when it comes to comparisons.

I use vpower diesel personally on the 335d. I only use it for its cleaning properties.

Associate
I'm tend swap around from BP,shell, and supermarkets. To be honest as above I can't really tell the difference although I'm sure sometimes shell top diesel shows worse mpg then the normal but then again I could be dreaming after all I was filling a Nissan note with the stuff :p apart from cleaning I don't really see much difference.

Last edited:
Caporegime
it probably matters more in diesels doing short trips for DPF purposes. a cleaner fuel would be better for the car.

if you are doing long trips in the diesel then likely no difference in a car like a ford focus. also impossible to compare 2 cars with 2 different drivers doing 2 completely different trips.

how many lights / traffic is on their journey compared to yours? far too many variables. is his mostly driving on flat roads whilst you are up and down hills?

Man of Honour
I notice no difference in economy running supermarket fuel or V-Power Diesel in my MG ZT and use it purely for its cleaning properties. Over 400 miles I'd estimate 250 of them are motorway, the rest around town.

You use Ultimate Diesel in a ZT?!?

Unlike super unleaded it's a waste of money buying premium diesel imho.

Soldato
Oh god, here we go again. :(

Hehehhheheheh

From what I can tell the higher octane petrols only affect cars that are specifically mapped and have the correct compression ratio to make use of them. In most regular cars it wont make a blind bit of difference. I have no idea if this is still the same with desiels.

As for the "cleaners" they put in, I am sceptical, but who knows?

That being said I always put premium in my motorcycle, but thats because it costs me about 20p more per tank, that being said, probably 20p I am throwing away!

Man of Honour
What purpose does it serve? It seems to offer nothing credible really and is noticeably more expensive. At least with higher octane super unleaded if the car is mapped for it, there is a credible purpose.

I therefore use the finest Asda diesel in my considerably more complex and powerful diesel engine in that found in an MG ZT.

Soldato
Genuinely interested in why you’ve said this?

Because it's 100% accurate. Diesel is a heavy fuel. You can't up the octane of diesel to produce more power, it just doesn't work like that. The only benefit *might* be cleaning properties, but that is it. For a Diesel, ASDA's 125.9ppl is just as good as Shell's 130.9p a litre.

I happened to let a FlexiGrid tanker out of an ESSO last week that then pulled into a Tesco forecourt about 2 miles down the road, that should tell you everything you need to know.

Petrol? Yes, the good stuff
Diesel? Do be a sucker.

Caporegime
OP
Does he live next door to you and only ever drive to the same places at the same frequency?

If not, the comparison is meaningless.
I’m well aware of that, but, I’d expected a little more, not much granted, 48mpg on predominantly town driving is fine, just wondering if it could / should be doing better, I know how to drive in a very fuel efficient manner and was just wondering if there was a difference.

Your analogy of driving to the same places is interesting though, we have six identical trucks at work doing very different work and routes, all are within .5mpg of 11mpg....

I’m happy to use the premium fuels as they don’t produce anywhere near as much soot as regular imo - when I bought the car it was quite smoky, after 1200 miles of V-Power it’s not smoking at all,bearing in mind it had done 110k when I bought it.

I’ll stick with V-Power and my Shell points. :)

Soldato
Fox, you're an idiot. I've already mentioned the reason I use VP in the ZT. I used to use it in my Rovers Turbos too and they would run perfectly well on 95.

Come back to me when you've taken engines apart and had injectors cleaned and seen for your own eyes the benefits of the detergents in VP or Ultimate.

Trying to start an argument for arguments sake.

Man of Honour
Fox, you're an idiot. I've already mentioned the reason I use VP in the ZT. I used to use it in my Rovers Turbos too and they would run perfectly well on 95.

Ultimate unleaded and ultimate diesel are two completely different concepts. There are obvious and credible advantages to using super unleaded in your Rover Turbos. The advantages of premium diesel fuels are imho far less clear.

Trying to start an argument for arguments sake

I'm discussing the use of ultimate in a thread about ultimate and you're calling me an idiot, so I'd suggest it isn't me trying to start the argument :p

Soldato
Because it's 100% accurate. Diesel is a heavy fuel. You can't up the octane of diesel to produce more power, it just doesn't work like that. The only benefit *might* be cleaning properties, but that is it. For a Diesel, ASDA's 125.9ppl is just as good as Shell's 130.9p a litre.

I happened to let a FlexiGrid tanker out of an ESSO last week that then pulled into a Tesco forecourt about 2 miles down the road, that should tell you everything you need to know.

Petrol? Yes, the good stuff
Diesel? Do be a sucker.

Never once thought vpower/ultimate makes a car produce more power.

Again, I only use it for the cleaner burn/included detergents.

Soldato
There was absolutely no benefit to using VP in the Rover as far as performance or additional octane was concerned. They were mapped for 95 ron fuel with very relaxed ignition timing.

You're getting smart with the wrong guy if you think I'm stood at the pump shouting "OMG CETANE!!!" as I fill up.

Maybe when you've taken apart/rebuilt/modified engines and seen the difference for yourself, you'd change your opinion. To be honest, I'm not really bothered.

:p

Last edited:
Soldato
Are your driving styles the same?

I ask as my colleague has a Skoda Octavia vRS 245 and was saying she only gets 35mpg on a run in it. She is quite a smooth driver but has a little bit of a heavy foot. Nothing mad and certainly not a dangerously fast, but she does still accelerate here and there too harshly when it just is not required. I had a go on the same journey in her car and got 44mpg. I still had a few fun bursts of speed and enjoyed the car but I just was a lot smoother all round.

For work right now I have a Mazda 6 SE Nav 145 Petrol. I used to get 40mpg average from a tank and I thought from a 2litre NA that was not too bad, but then I just started to think about my driving a little more and over the last 3 tanks I have averaged over 50mpg a tank.

Would be interesting to see if you swapped cars for a day or something and did the same trip if you would still achieve more or less mpg in each others cars.

Back
Top Bottom