What movie franchise do you wish you enjoyed?

Associate
Lord of the Rings (and by definition, The Hobbit)

It is my favourite book by a considerable distance and until recently I have read it on a yearly basis since childhood. Yet nearly 20 years on from the first release, I still haven't managed to get past the Fellowship of the Ring - there were too many holes or moments that I feel are important to the structure of the book but weren't (and to be fair from a time perspective, couldn't be) adequately covered. As I know the book front to back and sideways, I came to the early conclusion that I couldn't enjoy the films in the same way - unlike, for instance, Game of Thrones where I hadn't read any of the books prior to watching the series.

I caught the first of the Hobbit trilogy on a flight to New York with a few hours to kill, and felt it had more than a faint air of absurdity in places. Again, I haven't bothered to watch the second and third instalments.

Soldato
Game of Thrones.

Gave it until season 3 (I think?), or wherever the viewer is introduced to that tall blonde female warrior dragging that dude through the forest. It never felt to me like there was much depth in the story.

Caporegime
OP
I ended up buying all 8 movies Fast and the Furious movies on UHD Blu-ray and have been working though them in chronological order (e.g Tokyo Drift after 6)

The Fast and the Furious is ok, bit dated (stealing dvd players)
2fast2furious is ****
Fast and Furious (4) was ok
Fast Five - really enjoyed it on second viewing
6 - again, better than I remember...
Tokyo Drift - Passable

So just 7 and 8 to go and then I'll watch Hobbs and Shaw at the cinema with my limitless card.

Who'd have thought...

Soldato
Game of Thrones.

Gave it until season 3 (I think?), or wherever the viewer is introduced to that tall blonde female warrior dragging that dude through the forest. It never felt to me like there was much depth in the story.
:eek: Say it aint so! ;)
It is one of the deepest series I've ever watched. The story of 'Hodor' is a case in point. ;)

PayDay Lover
Associate
Game of Thrones.

The books were tedious and I found the tv show managed to mirror that.

Soldato
Bond films. I would love to see a reboot of the original books done exactly as Fleming intended. I love most of the Connery ones but then from the 1970s onward they have just been pretty awful with few exceptions.

Back
Top Bottom