Windows Server 2019

Soldato
Nothing critical. Just some sql and an internal system. So file services is the only real one in anger. And an iis box but let’s be honest it’s barely changes in years.

Will be migrating a couple dc’s soon tho.

Soldato
Still on 2012 at work, 2016 at home, was thinking about 2019 just to have a play with it, although just moved house so not in a rush as also have a new server I need to play with, when I decide what OS its going to run, well, and once everything is out of boxes...

Soldato
OP
We'll in addition to our five appv servers, I have now moved one of our RDS SH blades and four HV nodes to 2019. So far so good.

There was a quirk where I couldnt see if secure boot was on or off in the VMs, but I think this is a console version issue than anything more sinister.

Associate
Is anyone else seeing the issue where when they log on to Server 2019 VMs hosted on 2019 hosts they always get the "Unexpected Shutdown" box. I've found since a couple of months ago this always pops up even when the host or the VM haven't rebooted

Soldato
OP
Is anyone else seeing the issue where when they log on to Server 2019 VMs hosted on 2019 hosts they always get the "Unexpected Shutdown" box. I've found since a couple of months ago this always pops up even when the host or the VM haven't rebooted

No, I've just finished upgrading all my hosts (14) and think 2019 is a huge step up. It really feels like 2016 R2 in a good way.
Resolved no end of issues we had before. MPCLAIM command used to crash when configuring a compellent SAN, .net MMC shutdowns, bluescreens, IO timeout events in cluster logs.

Running 2019 for a few weeks with no issues at all.

In fact, we've liked it so much we've made a start on upgrading our RDS and domain controllers.

AppV was done weeks and weeks ago, it's been solid.

What version are your VMs? ours are at 8.0, even though I upgraded the cluster I don't have an option to go to 9?

Associate
No, I've just finished upgrading all my hosts (14) and think 2019 is a huge step up. It really feels like 2016 R2 in a good way.
Resolved no end of issues we had before. MPCLAIM command used to crash when configuring a compellent SAN, .net MMC shutdowns, bluescreens, IO timeout events in cluster logs.
Running 2019 for a few weeks with no issues at all.
In fact, we've liked it so much we've made a start on upgrading our RDS and domain controllers.
AppV was done weeks and weeks ago, it's been solid.
What version are your VMs? ours are at 8.0, even though I upgraded the cluster I don't have an option to go to 9?
My lab ones are 9.0 and we recently did a project for a customer where we setup a brand new fail-over cluster which also used the 9.0 VM configuration which was painless.

As far as the OS is concerned it seams pretty stable, my main issue (As with most Windows operating systems at the moment) is the silly amount of quirky little bugs (NPS entries broken for Windows Firewall, WDS issues on 2016/2019 and this new one for reboots)

They're not major issues, they're just annoying

Back
Top Bottom