CCTV Solution?

Soldato
Hey guys,
Could do with some help,

We have one of those WIFI DVR + 4 camera packages set up on our house,it works but no matter where we put the DVR box in the house the signal to a couple of the cameras is rubbish,I dont think moving the cameras will help much either as they're where we need them!

I've had a look at the DVR box insides and its literally just the typical IPX connector going to 2x external antennas thats coming out the box which are fairly large tbh but they're obviously still not getting a strong enough signal.

So i wondered,Would a better option be to set up maybe a dedicated pc to take out the DVR from the equation but connect said PC to a good wireless router that would have powered boosted antenas?

my concearns are if these WIFI cameras would connect to a PC instead of the DVR,i dont see why not though because theyre IP?

Appreciate any help :)

Soldato
Assuming the DVR is using the same home WiFi to connect to the camera's rather than directly from camera to DVR, couldn't you extend WiFi coverage by adding a WiFi extender?

It might work getting a WiFi extender plug and putting the wifi details of the DVR in to extend the range?

Soldato
OP
Hi,
Its not unfortunately,its using its own wireless system,the DVR isnt connected to the internet at all,But still the DVR box has a IP for each individual camera which is why i was thinking maybe theres a way i could do away with the DVR and do a pc based system in its place but with a wireless router connected to that for a better signal. :)

Soldato
What about the DVR, does it have any network ca le ports so you could wire some of them? Or is it a case the cameras wouldn't have a port anyway?

Soldato
OP
The DVR has a Ethernet port on the back but thats just so you can connect it to the internet so can access the feed via mobile and stuff,the cameras themselves are completely wireless,Only power cable coming out of them. :)

Back
Top Bottom