I got me 3D printer, awesome!

Soldato
Only just become aware of this thread - have very (very) limited experience of 3d printing, however I'm interested in being able to output small architectural models quite quickly - tbh the simpler the printer the better, can anyone recommend something no more than 1k that would give us a fairly reliable and simple machine?

Don
Progress on my new beastie.

TMC2130s wired up for SPI and sensorless homing of X and Y. Bonus points if you can spot the mistake in the picture.

v2KvBnw.jpg

Cable chain mount for my BMG extruder design.

V5eF9Vh.jpg

yxskolN.jpg

Got some ball screws coming from China at the moment to see how I can integrate them. The MGN12 rails turned up a couple of days ago. They were a bit crunchy so I stripped them all, cleaned them, and re-greased them. Much better now.

Associate
So the mistake in the picture is the X and Y sensor-less homing going to the X- & X+ endstops.

Looking good :), I might need to pick your brains on a part cooling duct for my D-Bot.

J.

Don
Correct! I was scratching my head while testing that I can tell you.
Those TMC drivers are so quiet it's quite surreal. Just the sound of bearings on metal when the axis move. I should have swapped the A4988s out in my other printer ages ago.......

Soldato
Hello 3D print peeps,

I'd like to design and print some simple support wedges for my mini PC.

Turns out the graphics card I bought is too big for my case, but with a few wedges I think it could still look pretty neat and turn the graphics card into a feature.

I haven't got a 3D printer, so I was thinking about just learning how to design the bits as a little project and then outsourcing the printing to someone with the gear.

Can anyone advise any good tutorials or the best software to do this on?

A quick google suggested Autodesk Tinkercad, do you think that would be suitable for what I need to generate a file to send to someone to print?

Thanks

This is the rough idea of what I want to do, with possibly a 3rd wedge on top:

kepTeq4.jpg

ST9UIqP.jpg

Associate
Hello 3D print peeps,

I'd like to design and print some simple support wedges for my mini PC.

Turns out the graphics card I bought is too big for my case, but with a few wedges I think it could still look pretty neat and turn the graphics card into a feature.

I haven't got a 3D printer, so I was thinking about just learning how to design the bits as a little project and then outsourcing the printing to someone with the gear.

Can anyone advise any good tutorials or the best software to do this on?

A quick google suggested Autodesk Tinkercad, do you think that would be suitable for what I need to generate a file to send to someone to print?

Thanks

This is the rough idea of what I want to do, with possibly a 3rd wedge on top:

Hey UberTiger,

Yep I think TinkerCAD will do just fine, if you feel brave you can look at Fusion360 too. Once you've designed your part just export it as a .STL file and whoever you get to print in can slice the file and print.

As for tutorials look here:

or

Jay.

Don
All finished and working. Running Marlin 1.1.9 with full SPI control of the TMC2130s and sensorless homing. It's very, very quiet.
I ditched the RAMPs/Mega2560 setup I was going to use and switched to a Geetech GT2560 board instead. The main reason for this was the additional fan headers and that I can run 24V with no further modification (which the TMC2130s really need).
I haven't really put it though its paces yet as I'm waiting for another Raspberry Pi3 to turn up today for Octoprint (I don't like the idea of running multiple printers from the one Pi).

fthQS1n.jpg

olbKHjp.jpg

zh8qeWM.jpg

Don
Mmmmm, linear rail....nice. I bought some MGN12 rails recently and stripped / cleaned / re-packed them ready to upgrade my other printer. It's going to look much like the one above but with MGN12s rather than the tube bearings. Just need to design the extruder mount first.

Associate
Just got myself a Ender 3 Pro - I think I have it printing ok after a couple of messy prints - lots to learn though

Questions
  1. My Ender 3 is running firmware 1.1.6 and I believe it runs on Marlin FW - the latest of which is 1.1.9 - should I update ?
  2. Can you recommend the best consumables, ideally I would like 1 of each type main type to experiment / learn

Thanks in advance

Phil

Associate
Hey welcome to the sub forum.

Firstly yes, update the firmware. You'll likely not currently have some important safety features enabled.

What sort of filament are you looking to try? There are loads, most of which you'll probably never need/want to print with. I'd suggest having plenty of PLA, some PETg and maybe some wood filled to experiment with, although I hold no responsibility for blocked nozzles ;).

J.

Associate
Definitely upgrade firmware. Also I strongly advise you get a raspberry pi and put octopi on it, will transform your printing experience.

Thanks for the replies guys ;)

Fixed a couple of small issues today and run a couple of useable prints to mod the Ender 3 with

I have also as suggested installed Octoprint on a raspberry pi and got this up and communicating with the printer - not used it yet though

For the firmware update I believe I need an Arduino - but I’m not sure what to get, I have done a search on ‘forest’ and there are lots of different types listed so not sure which one to get with prices varying from £40 - £12 - can someone point me to the right bit of kit pls - I really want to get the thermal protection update installed as I will be running my printer unattended most of the time

Thanks in advance

Phil

Don
A couple of prints from the weekend.

Toilet seat was a crappy design without only the edges of those metal plates to stop it moving around:

ICZ2MO0.jpg

I fixed it with 5 minutes in Fusion360 and a 10 minute print job in PETG.

QUGBFHx.jpg

My PS Vita's thumbstick pads had word down to nothing so again, 5 mins in Fusion360 and a 30 second (the heaters took longer to get up to temperature than the actual print time) print in PETG.

8h6Y5w0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom