Why is it so hard to buy screws for radiators?

Soldato
My hardware labs radiators come with phillips head M4 screws in 5mm and 30mm lengths and i need some that are 10mm as i want to mount my radiators with a gasket in between it and the case.

I've searched ebay and various online retailers but all the m4 screws i can find have heads that are far too small.

Soldato
You are probably looking for

"M4 Socket Flanged Button Head" (9-10mm head) - All my EK / Alphacool uses these
or
"M4 Large Slotted Pan Head" (12mm head)

Or just go for "M4 Socket Button Cap screws" with flat washers of any size you want!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You are probably looking for

"M4 Socket Flanged Button Head" (9-10mm head) - All my EK / Alphacool uses these
or
"M4 Large Slotted Pan Head" (12mm head)

Or just go for "M4 Socket Button Cap screws" with flat washers of any size you want!

Thanks. I think i've found the right ones on ebay.

Soldato
:confused:

Type "m4 screws black" into eBay

The 2nd result is flange head type, they have M4x10mm option in a bag of 100 for £6
The 5th result is exactly listed as M4x10mm

Standard screws are the easiest thing to find

Associate
:confused:

Type "m4 screws black" into eBay

The 2nd result is flange head type, they have M4x10mm option in a bag of 100 for £6
The 5th result is exactly listed as M4x10mm

Standard screws are the easiest thing to find

Just wish XSPC used these instead of the stupid 6-32 UNC threads. Was a nightmare finding screws the correct size for their rads and would put me off ever using them again.

Soldato
Just wish XSPC used these instead of the stupid 6-32 UNC threads. Was a nightmare finding screws the correct size for their rads and would put me off ever using them again.
Getting 6-32 screws is easy. Getting black 6-32 screws involves Chinese sellers on eBay. Again wasn't too painful, but the trick was converting imperial measurements to metric to get the correct lengths - I had some weird lengths required for my new TX120 and the motherboard mounting.

EK use 6-32 as well, which is annoying, but all plans I had for EK rads have been switched to XSPC's slim TX range now. Not that the imperial thread issue goes away of course :p be brave and rethread them for M4 ;)

Soldato
Getting 6-32 screws is easy. Getting black 6-32 screws involves Chinese sellers on eBay. Again wasn't too painful, but the trick was converting imperial measurements to metric to get the correct lengths - I had some weird lengths required for my new TX120 and the motherboard mounting.

EK use 6-32 as well, which is annoying, but all plans I had for EK rads have been switched to XSPC's slim TX range now. Not that the imperial thread issue goes away of course :p be brave and rethread them for M4 ;)

I didnt' realise EK rads where 6-32, I've always used there provided screws!

I've got a stash of 6-32 button caps for other stuff, (I either use eBay or Accu Group for online ordering, or somewhere like Hayleys who will get me most sizes and are good on not requiring MOQ's and will deliver to store for next day pickup).

Associate
Rethreading to M4 probably would have been the best option, I needed weird lengths as they had to go through acrylic > fans > rad, so the standard ones were too short. Ended up having to buy longer ones, cut them down to the correct size and then paint them black. Quite annoying when there's 40 of them...

Soldato
If you need to (as I often do) want to shorten screws, cheap crimping tools often include a screw cutter,

e.g. For imperial (includes 6-32) h ttps://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N1HBCYD/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01N1HBCYD&pd_rd_w=taCC8&pf_rd_p=e2bfafb5-111e-4906-b089-5d691a51d45f&pd_rd_wg=rrZHx&pf_rd_r=2SRBS0AAQQS5MVXK74PM&pd_rd_r=a3375cf4-675b-11e9-9480-23b4243a39e8
and for metric (includes M4) https://www.amazon.co.uk/KnnX-28115...wire+screw+cutter&qid=1556198082&s=diy&sr=1-6

A quick file to remove edge burrs and this has been reliable for me!

Associate
If you need to (as I often do) want to shorten screws, cheap crimping tools often include a screw cutter,

e.g. For imperial (includes 6-32) h ttps://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N1HBCYD/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01N1HBCYD&pd_rd_w=taCC8&pf_rd_p=e2bfafb5-111e-4906-b089-5d691a51d45f&pd_rd_wg=rrZHx&pf_rd_r=2SRBS0AAQQS5MVXK74PM&pd_rd_r=a3375cf4-675b-11e9-9480-23b4243a39e8
and for metric (includes M4) https://www.amazon.co.uk/KnnX-28115...wire+screw+cutter&qid=1556198082&s=diy&sr=1-6

A quick file to remove edge burrs and this has been reliable for me!

Damn, how had I not seen these before!? Cheers Demon :)

Soldato
I tap my Radiators out to out to 4mm, just take care not to put the tap too far through. Most DIY stores carry m4 stock in lots of lengths.

I started doing it with EK rads a while back, glad I did as finding screws locally (I'm impatient) was becoming a problem. My last rad was EK and I fitted Noiseblocker fans to it, the fans are not a normal thickness (30mm I think) so I had to chop some long M4 bolts down.

For screw length you can use a junior hacksaw and a nut, put the nut where you want the length to be and cut through using the side of the nut as a guide. I always get good results doing this as the nut kind of cleans up the thread as you unscrew it, if it is a but rough just use a fine file to tidy it up a bit.

Soldato
put the nut where you want the length to be and cut through using the side of the nut as a guide. I always get good results doing this as the nut kind of cleans up the thread as you unscrew it, if it is a but rough just use a fine file to tidy it up a bit.
Thanks for this, totally forgot about this trick :)

Back
Top Bottom